-Caveat Lector-

"Despite his unorthodox financial arrangements, the Rev. Sharpton
seems to have escaped the scrutiny of the Clinton IRS. Lucky for
him his name isn't Jones, Flowers, Dale, Broaddrick or Gracen."

Newsmax-Inside Cover

Thursday, Dec. 21, 2000 4:41 p.m. EST

Rev. Al's Curious Finances

The Rev. Al Sharpton, a key political ally of Senator-elect
Hillary Clinton, lives what looks like a fairly lavish personal
lifestyle - dressing in expensive suits, paying top-dollar
tuition for his two daughters at a Brooklyn private school, and
traveling the country whenever the need arises for one of his
patented "No Justice, No Peace" rallies.

 One would hardly know the good reverend is practically broke -
or so he maintained in a deposition earlier this month, a copy of
which was obtained by the New York Times Thursday.

 Sharpton says he can't afford to pay the $65,000 judgment
against him in a defamation lawsuit brought by Dutchess County,
N.Y., prosecutor Stephen Pagones.

The pompadoured preacher had smeared Pagones while championing
the cause of Tawana Brawley, a black teen-ager who fabricated
rape charges against the prosecutor and others in 1986.

 To prove his impoverishment, Sharpton had to detail his finances
to Pagones' lawyer, Garry Bolnick, earlier this month.

 Turns out that just about all the Rev. Sharpton's worldy goods
were either given to him or are on loan from his business
operation, "Rev. Als [no apostrophe] Productions."

 Here's one of the more amusing excerpts from Sharpton's
deposition.

 BOLNICK: Rev. Sharpton, how many suits do you own?

 SHARPTON: Well, you would have to - I debate whether I own it
because a lot of that is business expense, but I have access to
about 10 or 12.

 BOLNICK: And you say that you - you say they are business
expenses. Are they paid for by someone other than yourself?

 SHARPTON: Some.

 BOLNICK: Are they paid for by the National Action Network
[Sharpton's Harlem-based civil rights operation]?

 SHARPTON: No.

 BOLNICK: Are they paid for by Rev. Als Productions?

 SHARPTON: Maybe a couple.

 BOLNICK: Any other wearing apparel of yours paid for by other
parties?

 SHARPTON: Yeah, I would say half my suits are gifts. The suit I
have on, a guy gave me.

 BOLNICK: Have you ever purchased a suit for yourself?

 SHARPTON: Not lately.

 Other items Sharpton seems to possess without actually owning: a
stereo, a TV, cars, silverware and assorted other middle-class
accoutrements.

 Sharpton told Bolnick that 99 percent of his salary from his
National Action Network gig (about $70,000 a year) is immediately
invested in Rev. Als Productions.

Perhaps that's why he hasn't filed any personal income tax
returns since 1998.

 His daughters' $30,000 Polyprep Country Day School tuition is
paid for by the same company.

 He claims Rev. Als was incorporated with New York state, but he
can't remember when and New York has no record of its existence.

 Sharpton supplements his income with $300 bi-monthly "expense"
checks from his National Action Network radio show - plus
donations he gets from his "preachings."

 "They pass the plate and give it to me," Sharpton told Bolnick
about the income he calls "love offerings."

"I could get $1; I could get $1,000," says the rotund Rev.

 Despite his unorthodox financial arrangements, the Rev. Sharpton
seems to have escaped the scrutiny of the Clinton IRS.

Lucky for him his name isn't Jones, Flowers, Dale, Broaddrick or
Gracen.

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:
                     *Michael Spitzer*  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>