The Conservative e-Journal of Record

Date: Christmas 2000
Federalist #00-51/52.dgst

Retrieve today's Christmas Edition as HTML printer-friendly text or
PDF -- it's much easier reading than e-mail text!
Link to: http://www.Federalist.com/current00-10.asp

Please Support The Federalist!
Link to: http://www.Federalist.com/support.asp

CONTENTS:
The Founders
 The Gipper
For the Record
 Upright
Liberty
Good News
Ictus Imprimis
Christmas 2000

______--------********O********--------______
THE FOUNDERS

"Let no pleasure tempt thee, no profit allure thee, no ambition
corrupt thee, no example sway thee, no persuasion move thee to do
anything which thou knowest to be evil; so thou shalt live jollily,
for a good conscience is a continual Christmas." --Benjamin Franklin

______--------********O********--------______
THE GIPPER

"The Christmas spirit of Peace, hope, and love is the spirit Americans
carry with them all year round, everywhere we go. ... The tree that
lights up our country must be seen all the way to heaven...its lights
fill the air with a spirit of hope, and joy from the heart of
America." --Ronald Reagan

______--------********O********--------______
FOR THE RECORD

"This year, Americans will spend up to $30 billion on Christmas. What
would happen if a real-life grinch really did steal the trappings of
Christmas? Would we have anything left to celebrate? Our consumer
culture says the meaning of Christmas is found in parties, presents,
and extravagant self-indulgence. Well, if the cultural grinches have
stolen the meaning of Christmas, then -- like the Whos of Who-ville --
we'll just have to get it back. But we mustn't make the mistake of
latching onto the wrong thing, as the Whos did. Shopping is not the
answer, nor should we be lured into some kind of sacred frenzy of good
works either. Good deeds performed for wrong motives and giving gifts
to increase our own self-righteousness are empty and vain conceits."
--Charles Colson

______--------********O********--------______
UPRIGHT

"The concerted effort to minimize Christmas has resulted in it being
our national Happy Holiday holiday. The Christmas season is now the
holiday season. Christmas parties are now holiday parties. Christmas
is a time for giving and receiving presents and in many homes, nothing
more. Who is this fellow, Jesus Christ, anyway?" --Lyn Nofziger  ++
"Could the roots of Christmas consumerism be in our own tradition?
..[H]istory suggests that Christmas became such a commercialized
holiday, in part, because Protestants did not make it a holy day."
--Charles Colson  ++  "In a few more days we will celebrate Xmas, the
day we commemorate the birth of you-know-who. ...It seems the modern
consensus of enlightened people that his name should be used in polite
society only when cursing.... [P]oliticians are often eager to
associate themselves personally with you-know-who, even -- and
especially -- when they rather flagrantly ignore his injunctions....
He was out of step then, and he is out of step now. He is eternally
out of step, and eternally more powerful than those who keep in step.
You know who I mean." --Joseph Sobran  ++  "The dogmatism of science
has become a new orthodoxy, disseminated by the Media and a State
educational system with a thoroughness and subtlety far exceeding
anything of the kind achieved by the Inquisition; to the point that to
believe today in a miraculous happening like the Virgin Birth is to
appear a kind of imbecile...." --Malcolm Muggeridge  ++ "Christmas has
always been a part of our national tradition. It became a national
holiday for no reason other than its profound religious meaning."
--John F. McManus  ++  "Only when we give of ourselves, just as Christ
gave himself for us, can we find meaning and redemption in life."
--Charles Colson  ++  "And in Christmas we find another symbol of
truth. In Christmas we find the greatness, the heroism, the courage
that we too often deny in our fearful shabby literature of life....
But here at Christmas we find the supreme and transcendental hero, the
Hero of heroes -- the Star which is the Light that man should follow
as far as he can in his human way, the hero that is God." --E. Merrill
Root

______--------********O********--------______
LIBERTY

"My heart is filled with gratitude to Almighty God for his unspeakable
mercies with which He has blessed us in this day. For those He granted
us from the beginning of life, and particularly for those He has
vouchsafed us during the past year [of war]. What should have become
of us without His crowning help and protection?

"Oh, if our people would only recognize it and cease from
self-boasting and adulation, how strong would be my belief in the
final success and happiness to our country! But what a cruel thing is
war; to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest
joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our
hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, to devastate the
fair face of this beautiful world!

"I pray that on this day [Christmas] when only peace and good-will are
preached to mankind, better thoughts may fill the hearts of our
enemies and turn them to peace."
--Robert E. Lee

______--------********O********--------______
GOOD NEWS

"The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows His
handiwork. Day unto day utters speech, and night unto night reveals
knowledge. There is no speech nor language where their voice is not
heard. Their line has gone out through all the earth, and their words
to the end of the world." (Psalm 19:1-4)

"The angel of the Lord appeared to them and the glory of God shone
'round them." (Luke 2:9)

"...The star which they had seen in the East went before them, till it
came and stood over where the young Child was. When they [the Wise
Men] saw the star, they rejoiced with exceedingly great joy. And when
they had come into the house, they saw the young Child with Mary His
mother, and fell down and worshiped Him. And when they had opened
their treasures, they presented gifts to Him: gold, frankincense, and
myrrh." (Matthew 2:9-11)

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down
from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither
shadow of turning." (James 1:17)

"Grace to you and peace ... from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness,
the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler over the kings of the
earth." (Revelation 1:4-5)

______--------********O********--------______
ICTUS IMPRIMIS

"A Christmas wreath can be a pagan symbol of false religion, or a
symbol of the eternity of God, he who is without beginning or end. The
colors of Christmas are symbols of the blood (red) of Christ that
washes away sin and grants eternal life (green) to those who
believe.... Symbols can be used to glorify God or to further false
religion. The key is relating all areas of life to the Lordship of
Christ." --Rev. Brian M. Abshire

______--------********O********--------______
CHRISTMAS 2000

THE STAR SEEN ROUND THE WORLD

As we celebrate this last Christmas of the millennium, we view a world
everywhere much disjointed and frayed -- hardly a fit kingdom for the
Prince of Peace, whose coming to Earth we commemorate. We point to two
far-removed places, each fraught with significance for the deepest
meanings of freedom, to examine our conflict-riven world -- the
birthplace of Jesus Christ, whom we honor as Our Savior, and the
birthplace of the American Revolution.

This week in the Holy Land, the Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem, Michel
Sabbah, penned his traditional Christmas letter, saying, "We celebrate
Christmas this year, with its message of peace, which we live in times
of suffering and lack of peace." Associated Press described the West
Bank town of Bethlehem, where Jesus was born over 2,000 years ago, as
today a "ghost town." The typical displays are gone, no Christmas
lights comfort the darkness.

His Beatitude, Patriarch Sabbah, reported Bethlehem, the "center of
our celebrations ... is under siege and experiencing famine. Its
residents cannot leave it, nor can the visitors enter it. ...Pilgrims
this year will not share with us the midnight mass. ...In Bethlehem,
the Savior has been born. From Bethlehem, from amidst our sufferings
and prayers, we ask God Almighty for the salvation of the whole
world."

And two weeks ago in Lexington, Massachusetts, site of the 1775 battle
on Lexington Green called "the shot heard round the world" -- which
started the Revolutionary War -- a federal judge upheld a local
ordinance banning Nativity displays there. Every year from 1920
through 1972, the town has maintained depictions of the Holy Family on
the Green. From 1973 until last year, local religiously affiliated
organizations have sponsored and maintained the town's Nativity
display.

Lexington Selectman Peter D. Enrich stated the real purpose of the
ban: "What we're trying to do is preserve the Green and keep it out of
control of groups who want to express religious beliefs that conflict
with its historic battle for freedom."

But, as Chuck Colson analyzed the historical ignorance of the
selectman's comments: "The truth is that the minutemen -- local
merchants and farmers who stood on that village green to repel the
red-coated British invaders -- were also motivated by their deepest
religious convictions. Pastors in Boston and throughout New England
argued that the Revolution was justified in part because King George
and the British government were depriving the colonists of religious
freedom -- even imposing the Church of England on them. The Revolution
was more than just a reaction to taxation without representation; it
was also about the right to freely worship God. What a supreme irony!
On the very ground on which our forefathers stood to defend liberty
and create a new country, the very thing they fought and died for is
being suppressed in the name of political correctness."

In the Holy Land and Lexington, this year there are no Christmas
observances as those were celebrated in years past.

Historically, the actual year of Christ's birth is thought to be
between 6 B.C. and 4 B.C., at the end of Herod's reign.  The first
mention of Christmas as a formal Nativity feast occurred in a Roman
almanac dated A.D. 336.  The day we celebrate Christ's birth, December
25th, was not chosen on the basis of historical evidence but rather to
replace the pagan festival natalis solis invicti, the birth of the sun
god Mithras, at winter solstice.

The Christmas star that guided the Wise Men to Bethlehem may have been
any of a number of recorded astronomical events coinciding with the
likeliest dates of that first Christmas. Halley's Comet appeared in 12
B.C., and ancient Chinese texts note "exploding" stars, or novas,
observed in both 4 and 5 B.C. Exceptionally bright planetary
conjunctions occurred in 2, 6, and 7 B.C.; among these, the most
promising candidate for the Holy Star was the triple conjunction of
Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn in 6 B.C.

The prophet Isaiah wrote of the coming Messiah, that "the people who
walked in darkness have seen a great light...."  Clearly, well before
the birth of Jesus, humans longed for light in the days of greatest
darkness.  Early Christians selected December 25th for the Nativity
feast to proclaim that Jesus Christ was the real Light of the World,
the true "Sun of Righteousness," as well as the Messiah foretold in
Jewish faith.  As Jesus later said, he had not come to destroy the law
and the prophets of Judaism, but to fulfill them, and so he also
fulfilled the deepest human longings expressed in other traditional
celebrations. And we Christians believe these aspects of our human
nature are not merely enduring, but eternal -- because we humans are
all created in the image of Eternal God.

Our American Christmas heritage derives, like so much else, from the
mingled Christmas traditions of immigrants from many lands, with
differing religious beliefs and customs of worship and celebration.
Our name for this Holy Day arises from the old English Cristes Maesse,
or Christ's Mass, and as the name suggests, the holiday was first
observed in Early America among the Anglicans, Roman Catholics,
Lutherans, and Moravians who settled predominantly in the Middle
Atlantic colonies and the South. Influenced by Puritanism and
Calvinism, the New England Congregationalists, Presbyterians,
Baptists, and Methodists looked askance at a celebration they deemed
based on "heathenistic traditions."  New England colonial authorities
outlawed Christmas from 1649 until 1658. The General Court of
Massachusetts in 1659 set a fine of five shillings per offense,
punishing the observance "of any such day as Christmas or the like,
either by forebearing of labour, feasting, or any such way."
Contemporaneously, the Assembly of Connecticut forbade the reading of
the Book of Common Prayer, the keeping of Christmas and saints days,
the making of mince pies, the playing of cards, or performing on any
musical instruments.

Peter Kalm, wrote on Christmas Day 1749, about Philadelphia's holiday:
"Nowhere was Christmas Day celebrated with more solemnity than in the
Roman Church. Three sermons were preached there, and that which
contributed most to the splendor of the ceremony was the beautiful
music heard to-day....Pews and altar were decorated with branches of
mountain laurel, whose leaves are green in winter time and resemble
the (cherry laurel)."

Philip Fithian, of colonial Virginia, recorded in his diary entry for
December 18, 1773: "When it grew to dark to dance....we conversed til
half after six; Nothing is now to be heard of in conversation, but the
Balls, the Fox-hunts, the fine entertainments, and the good
fellowship, which are to be exhibited at the approaching Christmas."

Fithian's Christmas Eve in 1775 diary entry from Staunton, Virginia,
described other common pastimes of the holiday celebration: "The
Evening I spent at Mr. Guys--I sung for an Hour, at the good Peoples
Desire, Mr. Watts admirable Hymns--I myself was entertaind; I felt
myself improvd; so much Love to Jesus is set forth--So much divine
Exercise."  But his 1775 Christmas Day entry noted the vastly
different observances of the Scotch and Scotch-Irish Presbyterians:
"Christmas Morning--Not A Gun is heard--Not a Shout--No company or
Cabal assembled--To Day is like  other Days every Way calm &
temperate-- People go about their daily Business with the same
Readiness, & apply themselves to it with the same Industry."

The first state to declare Christmas a legal holiday was Massachusetts
in 1856. Although, as late as 1886, an American Methodist newspaper
termed Christmas a day "on which more sin and sacrilege and pagan
foolishness is committed than on any other day of the year."
Nevertheless, by the Civil War era, most of our shared Christmas
traditions were set, and the January 3, 1863 issue of Harper's Weekly
featured a drawing of encamped soldiers receiving Christmas gifts from
home. Nearly all Americans (96%) celebrate Christmas today in some
form or another.