-Caveat Lector-

http://www.archaeology.org/curiss/newsbriefs/boyscouts.html

Anti-Gay Policy Sparks Concern of Archaeologists

By ELIZABETH J. HIMELFARB

In 1997, the Boy Scouts of America instituted an archaeology
merit badge to replace an old, ill-conceived badge in arrowhead
collecting. It seemed like a win-win proposition: Scouts would be
rewarded for exploring Indiana Jones-inspired fantasies,
archaeologists would have a captive audience. But the Supreme
Court's ruling last summer that the Scouts can exclude gays
worries some archaeologists.

In October, a subscriber to the historical archaeology internet
discussion list HISTARCH fired off a spam (the "e"-equivalent of
junk mail) to the entire list, lamenting the withdrawal of
funding the Scout stance had engendered, adding, "...the Scouts
have refused to cave in to the pressure of 'politically correct'
groups who despise the fact that the Scouts stand for faith and
morality!"

Recipients of the message seized the opportunity to note the
effect the ban on gays has had on the archaeological community.
"I look forward to working with Scouts on their archaeology merit
badges as soon as they drop this stupid exclusionary policy,"
wrote Tim Scarlett, a University of Nevada, Reno, student.

A flurry of messages followed, some advocating that
archaeologists withhold support from the Scouts. Others took a
different approach. "As a private organization, it is appropriate
that the Boy Scouts should lose the support of tax dollars,"
wrote Kirsti Uunila of the Maryland Archaeological Conservation
Laboratory of the Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum. "It is not
clear, however, that they can be excluded from participation in
public archaeology programs.... We offer those services to the
public and have among our constituents fundamentalist
home-schoolers, all-white church groups, all-black church groups,
and so on. We never question their ideologies, governing
charters, or membership policies."

Nonetheless, the withdrawal of support that provoked the initial
spam may be just beginning. When he completes his degree,
Scarlett, who deems it "critical" for archaeologists to work with
kids, will likely look beyond the Scouts for opportunities to
work with the community. "It's a shame," he told ARCHAEOLOGY,
"the boys are the ones who are going to suffer while we are soul
searching."

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:
                     *Michael Spitzer* <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>