-Caveat Lector-

http://www.denverpost.com/news/news1226g.htm

Virgin, Utah: Where every household must have a gun
By Susan Greene
Denver Post National Writer

Dec. 26, 2000- VIRGIN, Utah - Darcey Spendlove credits her
peace of mind to the 13 guns she and her husband keep at their
ranch home in this remote southwestern Utah hamlet.

That's why the 25-year-old councilwoman supported an ordinance
in June requiring all townsfolk to own firearms so they, too, can
enjoy that sense of safety.

"It's like a security blanket that I could whip out and use whenever I
need to," Spendlove said of her favorite gun, the .243-caliber rifle
her parents gave her on her 16th birthday. "Everyone should
experience the freedom of knowing you can protect yourself. It's
probably the greatest right we have as Americans."

The ordinance states, "In order to provide for and protect the safety,
security and general welfare of the town and its inhabitants, every
household residing in the Virgin Town limits is required to maintain
a firearm, together with ammunition therefor."

The measure has brought worldwide attention to this 318-resident
community, which previously was known mainly for the locally
made beef jerky sold along state Highway 9 - the road to Zion
National Park.

Inspiration for the ordinance stemmed partly from the April 1999
shootings at Columbine High School, which triggered a national
debate about firearm sales and moves in several states toward
stricter background checks on gun buyers. Mayor Jay Lee,
Spendlove's colleague on the town council, bristled at such gun-
control efforts and decided, at least in Virgin, it was time to take
action.

"I just couldn't sit back and watch the government and the United
Nations take away our freedom to protect ourselves from One
World Order," said Lee, a hardware store manager, scoutmaster
and father of eight. "I bet if I were to go to each of those Columbine
parents, they would say they wished a fast-acting teacher with a
gun was there to protect their kids."

Lee modeled his bill after the only other measure of its kind in the
nation - an 18-year-old ordinance in Kennesaw, Ga., where city
officials boast that residential burglaries have dropped 89 percent.
Virgin's version exempts felons, residents bound by restraining
orders, those with physical and mental disabilities and anyone who
refuses to own a gun for religious and philosophical reasons.
Residents who can't afford guns also are exempt.
In other words, the ordinance isn't really enforceable.

"I put in the word "required' because it wouldn't be an ordinance
without it," Lee said. "But I guess we can't force people to comply.
It's not like we're out penalizing people who don't own guns."

The Virgin native, who grew up shooting rabbits from the back of
his dad's pickup truck, says guns are a part of the town's culture -
a way of life threatened by gun control. Further, he notes that local
anti-government sentiment has grown with recent federal
requirements for desert tortoise conservation and with the abrupt
ban on mining and grazing caused by President Clinton's 1996
designation of the nearby Grand Staircase-Escalante National
Monument.

And so, Lee says, his ordinance is more a political statement than
a call to arms.

"The day is coming when the government could come and take our
firearms. This way, we can hold up our ordinance and say we're
required by law to have guns and there's nothing the state or feds
can do about it," the mayor said.

Lee's Second Amendment fervor persuaded Spendlove and two
other council members to support his ordinance.

"I've never been a fanatic about guns, but Mayor Lee really got me
thinking," Spendlove said.

Councilman Kenneth Cornelius cast the lone dissenting vote on
grounds that the ordinance "has no teeth and is probably illegal."
Cornelius worries the measure will lure "gun freaks" to Virgin.
Since it took effect six months ago, he said the town clerk has
"received e-mails and inquiries from people who want to move here
for gun reasons."

"It's slightly embarrassing," he said of the ordinance. "I don't want
to become a mecca, a haven for gun nuts. This town is really
opening itself up for a lot of trouble by trying to do this. It scares
me."

Cornelius, who works for a nearby building contractor, lambasted
Lee for spreading paranoia throughout town.

"It's kind of scary (to have) a government entity worrying about a
government entity coming to take you over," he said. "The mayor
gets off on some things like that and sometimes go astray."
Lee, for his part, dismissed his colleague's barbs as "nonsense."
He noted that Cornelius was the subject of Virgin's last legal run-in -
 a domestic dispute for which the councilman pleaded guilty to
destroying property.

"My wife and I were having problems," Cornelius acknowledged. "I
guess in a small town like this, everybody knows everybody else's
business."

--

The unconscious democracy of America is a very fine thing. It is a true and deep and
instinctive assumption of the equality of