-Caveat Lector-

Bill, I have to agree with this assessment.  There are three things that
have to occur: 1. a precipitating event, 2. a charismatic leader, 3.
serious economic problems.  If these things come at the same time, open
revolt could well follow.  The precipitating event could well be
anything, a true variable.  The charismatic leader would have to declare
himself early if already a politician.  If he arises from outside, he
would have to declare at the point of open revolt.  I have to chuckle at
the people who are upset when one of the founding fathers is portrayed as
a real person (good points/bad points) who drank and had mistresses.  I
feel that the more we understand that the founding fathers were just like
us, the more likely we are to think we too can be free of a repressive
government.