From: Don Rowan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2001 9:32 AM
Subject: FW: A Cheney Note

-----Original Message-----
From: David Austin
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2001 7:28 AM
To: Don Rowan; John Wegl; Bob Thornton; Wayne Prilliman
Cc: Djaustin (E-mail)

-----Original Message-----
From: Jerome F. Lawson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, December 30, 2000 1:39 AM
To: Tom Kolk; dick_hague
Subject: A Cheney Note

>From the spoken word of Vice President-Elect Dick Cheney...
-------------------------------------
On my way to work last week, I stopped behind a purple Geo Metro with my

least favorite bumper sticker ever plastered across the back. It read:
"It'll be a great day when schools have all the money they need
and the Air Force has to have a bake sale to buy a bomber."

At that moment, I realized who the most undervalued and under
appreciated
segment of society is. And it ain't teachers. Teachers, I believe, rank
second on that list. Heading the list are the men and women of the
forces,
who, throughout history, have protected our country from the Hitlers
and
Stalin's - they who would have had our white children marching to the
school
bus in jackboots and our minority children locked up in laboratories
and labor camps.

The U.S. military - the most powerful and influential group of people in
the
world, hands-down - gets an awfully bad rap these days. Many Americans
seem
to think that simply because the communist Soviet Union no longer
exists,
the world is as safe as Beaver Cleaver's neighborhood. This, of  course,

ignores three facts:

        1) Dozens of countries have nuclear weapons that could take
out millions of people with the turn of a key.
        2) Leaders of several countries (e.g. North Korea, Iraq, Iran,
Libya, Lebanon and perhaps China and Russia) would love to see the U.S.
and its people blown to pieces and, most importantly
        3) The U.S. has the greatest collection of human, economic,
natural and technological resources anywhere on Earth, making it the
greatest
natural target for military aggression.

Though some would like to fashion the U.S. of the 21st Century as a
flowery
feel-good fantasy where war and violence are mere after thoughts of a
time
gone by, that can never be the case. As bad as our crime and drug
problems
are, we're still considered the jewel of the planet by the half
of the world that has yet to make its first phone call.

In ancient Greece, the people of Athens were unparalleled world leaders
in
art, philosophy and technology. Their rivals in Sparta were not;
instead,
the Spartans built massive, well-trained armies. When the two countries
fought, who won? Sparta. And  guess who lost their entire civilization
because they didn't think it was important to build an appropriate army?

Athens! Right now, the U.S. has the best of Athens and Sparta: we are
the
most cultured and most well-defended country in the world. As we
continue to
lower our defenses by devaluing the military, we open ourselves wider
and
wider to a takeover. A takeover of the U.S.?

Ridiculous, one might say. But why does it seem so unlikely? Because the

power and protection of the U.S. military has been so overwhelming in
the
last century that Americans have been free to enjoy a comfort level
unlike
any in the world. We all take it for granted that we will never be
invaded
by another country, but few other countries can afford to be so sure of
themselves. It's not only Americans who can go to bed feeling safe.

Children everywhere from Israel to England, from Brazil to Japan know
that, if their country is attacked, the U.S. will be there to help.

On TV, the military is often represented by stiff, buttoned-down
generals
or  the occasional drill sergeant who is accused of feeling up a female
recruit. In reality, things are much different. The men and women of the

armed forces are, in most ways, just like everyone else: they are
mechanics,
pilots, cooks, photographers, engineers, secretaries and X-ray
technicians.
They work from 8 to 5 and then come home to their families. The one
difference comes when the U.S. or any of its allies is threatened by a
foreign power. In that case, military people pack up and ship out, off
fight - and many times die - so the rest of the country, including
teachers, can continue their lives without interruption.

Teachers mold young minds into intelligent, independent people,and they
should be admired for the job they do; however, I don't know any
teachers
who are required to catch bullets and swallow shrapnel if so ordered by
the
principal. So, old-fashioned as it may seem, I'm happy to give my taxes
the military and tell the tots and teachers to fire up the oven if they
want
extra dough. Make muffins, cookies and candy and be happy you're allowed
to.
Because, as the old saying goes, if it wasn't for  the U.S. military,
we'd
all be speakin' German now."

"It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it
taken
from you."

-- Dick Cheney

Credit for article:  "Sent using MailStart.com (
http:/MailStart.Com/welcome.html )
The FREE way to access your mailbox via any web browser, anywhere!"
Caveat Lector-

> >From the spoken word of Vice President-Elect Dick Cheney...

Source, please.