-Caveat Lector-

From: "Amelia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> She may well have had dysfunctional relationships and that is implied by
> that bio. In fact, given her personality, I'd think most of her
> relationships would have been at least unusual. As for an abusive one,
> probably,  maybe more than one, but like Tina Turner, it is not that for
> which her personality will be remembered.

There is a very big difference between Smith and Turner.  Turner finally made a break
from the life she had
known, making a decision to venture into a new life no matter what the consequences.
Smith never made such a
decision, and remained in abusive relationships all her life.  And quite frankly, that
IS one of the things
she is remembered for, as indivisible from her as Billie Holiday's drug addiction (and
abusive relationships,
too) was to Holiday's life...

> She was very remarkable for a
> woman of that time in her independence and free spirit.

But that's the whole thing...she WASN'T independent, rather she was quite dependent on
the abusive men in her
life, and continually put up with their abuse.

June