-Caveat Lector-

Nixon-Rumsfeld Tape Raises Questions

Nixon Mocked Blacks In 1971 Conversation

The Associated Press

AUSTIN, Texas, 8:24 p.m. EST January 6, 2001 -- President-elect
Bush's team said Saturday that Defense-Secretary nominee Donald
Rumsfeld never agreed with pejorative comments Richard Nixon made
29 years ago about blacks in a conversation preserved on tape at
the National Archives.

On the tape, Rumsfeld can be heard making several
acknowledgments, such as "yes" and "that's right" as Nixon
rambled on during a conversation about African and American
blacks.

The conversation was reported in Sunday editions of the Chicago
Tribune.

Bush transition spokesman Ari Fleischer said Saturday that
Rumsfeld did not agree with any of Nixon's pejorative comments
then and does not now.

Even a casual listen to the hourlong tape demonstrates that
Rumsfeld's voice changes and tightens once Nixon starts speaking
in such a vein, Fleischer said.

Until then, Rumsfeld had been "talkative and expressive,"
Fleischer said. He said he had talked to Rumsfeld about the
article and that his recollection was that he was not agreeing
with Nixon's comments.

Nixon even feigns a phony Southern accent on the tape when he
starts talking about blacks, the spokesman said.

Fleischer said Rumsfeld had not intended to convey agreement with
the characterizations of blacks made in the Nixon conversation
but merely acknowledged them.

Rumsfeld spokesman Jim Wilkinson was quoted by the newspaper as
saying the Cabinet nominee is "proud of his long record of
support for civil rights."

On the tape of a July 22, 1971, conversation with Rumsfeld, a
counselor to the president, Nixon criticized his vice president,
Spiro Agnew, for his conduct and comments on a recent trip to
Africa.

The newspaper cited what it said were Agnew's unflattering
comparisons between African and American blacks, and remarks that
African blacks were smarter.

"It doesn't help," Nixon said on tape, according to the Tribune.
"It hurts with the blacks. And it doesn't help with the rednecks
because the rednecks don't think any Negroes are any good."

"Yes," Rumsfeld replied.

As for the notion that "black Americans aren't as good as black
Africans," Nixon said, "most of them are basically just out of
the trees. ... Now, my point is, if we say that, they (opponents)
say, 'Well, by God.' Well, ah, even the Southerners say, 'Well,
our niggers is (unintelligible).' Hell, that's the way they
talk!'" the president said on the tape.

"That's right," Rumsfeld said.

"I can hear 'em," Nixon said.

"I know," Rumsfeld replied.

"It's like when our black athletes, I mean in the Olympics, are
running against the other black athletes, the Southerner may not
like the black but he's for that black athlete," Nixon said.

"That's right," Rumsfeld said.

"Right?" Nixon asked.

"That's for sure," Rumsfeld said.

"Well, enough of that," Nixon said.

Copyright 2000 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:
                     *Michael Spitzer*  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>