-Caveat Lector-

Amelia,

  I just don't understand these blanket statements you keep making, like, "
ALL local politics have been handled by the Democratic party..." and "all
local offices are run as a contest among Democrats" and "if I want to vote in
the sheriff's primary , or the district attorney or dog catcher, I MUST vote
in the Democratic primary."

  In the Chatanooga area, Bradley County,

"Republican incumbent Stanley Thompson has known for a long time he has four
more years as assessor of property.

He was unopposed in the primary and there was no candidate for the Democratic
nomination, so the assessor will have no opposition in the Aug. 3 general
election."

and Bledsoe County

"Democrat Phillip Winkey Cagle, 453 votes, and Republican Glenn Swafford, 338
votes, were unopposed for their party's nominations for the assessor of
property seats."

(see
http://chattanooga.about.com/citiestowns/southeastus/chattanooga/gi/dynamic/of

fsite.htm?site=http://www.timesfreepress.com/2000/MAR/15MAR00/NEWS0915MAR.html
)
-----
  Your statements are so strange.... but I spent the time to refute them.
Just for another example in the Deep South... in Bartow County, GA, the
primary runoffs had both Republican and Democratic candidates for sheriff,
school board in both districts, clerk of superior court, chief magistrate,
and surveyor.  At the same site, one can click on each GA county to see who
the candidates were for primary run-offs.
(see http://www.accessatlanta.com/partners/ajc/vote2000/#bartow)
------

  I guess you don't know that Lousisiana has used non-partisan primaries for
all it's elections (except President) since 1975?
(see
http://www.kencollier.org/classes/PSC312/lectures_PSC312/Primary_Caucus.html)
--------
  And then to the issue of poll workers.  You say, "If Ms. Binion had done
her homework,she would have unearthed this little detail which would result
in something
like Headline:  Democrat Poll Workers Deny Voting Rights."

  First, noboby I know thinks of Florida as the Deep South, so the whole
premise that local races are all run by democrats doesn't apply.  More
counties in Florida voted for Bush than for Gore, and could be said to be
Republican counties in general (see
http://shazam.econ.ubc.ca/intro/votes.htm).  And poll workers are not
necessarily chosen by the party in dominance:

(In Florida) "Elsewhere, a precinct may be Democratic but the poll workers
are assigned by the Republican county machine. And so forth."

(see http://prorev.com/votecount.htm)
--------
  I hope in the future you will qualify your statements and source them as
well.  It's very tempting to refute outrageous blanket statements like these,
but it's very time-consuming.  I won't be doing it anymore.

Samantha