----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2001 7:30 AM
Subject: Depleted uranium tested in Puerto Rico!

Contracorriente: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

COMUNISTES de CATALUNYA diffuse from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Vieques, Puerto Rico: The site where the United States
tests its Depleted Uranium bullets
The Depleted Uranium bullets used by the United States
in the wars that took place during the 90s were tested
and have been used since the 80s in Vieques, Puerto
Rico. The United States Navy set in 1939 a military
base in this Puertorrican Island to rehearse military
maneuvers and to test new arms of destruction. This
situation has lead to a rise in Vieques' cancer rate,
which has been reported to be more than 26% higher
than the cancer rate of the rest of Puerto Rico.
The Government of Puerto Rico and the people of
Vieques have demanded the U.S. Navy to leave Vieques
immediately. However, the United States choose to use
might over right and in May 4, 2000 F.B.I. agents,
with the support of military personnel, arrested
around 200 peaceful demonstrators who set camps inside
the Navy zone. For a whole year they served as human
shields to prevent the bombing of the Island. In spite
of the will of the people to oust the U.S. Navy, the
United States resumed the bombings.
Now that Europeans are engaged in the Depleted Uranium
debate, we demand that the terrible effects that this
substance had produced in Vieques' environment and
population be also taken into account. NATO member
nations are not devoid of responsibility for this
state of things as they have also sent their troops to
practice there. We call upon the citizens and
politicians of the European Union to refuse to send
their fleets and troops to Vieques and to demand the
President of the United States to immediately halt all
military exercise in Vieques, Puerto Rico.
For more information please contact:
*Europe-
l'Association Boricua à Paris
phone: 01.56.58.02.59
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
*Vieques, Puerto Rico-
Committee for the Rescue and Development of Vieques
P.O. Box 1424
Vieques, Puerto Rico 00765
phone:. (787) 741-0716
fax: (787) 741-0358