-Caveat Lector-

On 10 Jan 01, at 1:31, Johannes Schmidt III wrote:

> You exaggerate. Paper and ink (or charcoal, or pencil lead) was
> relatively cheap, especially by the 18th and 19th centuries. Popular
> novels, children's books, poetry, private letters, all were flowing
> around the globe but no one bothered to write down anything about the
> wiccans. Considering there were people writing things (real or
> imagined) about groups like the Masons, the Illuminati, all manner of
> secret and revolutionary societies, isn't it strange that none
> mentioned Wicca?

The epic of Gilgamesh was kept alive from Sumerian times to
modern times through oral traditions. Only recently have scholars
translated material on stone tablets from those times to find that
the ancient version was remarkably similar to the version that has
survived.

In ancient times, memory was a venerated skill. Villages had
storytellers who were trained to remember certain traditional
stories. They were figures who commanded great respect from the
community. In the Renaissance, memory was also considered an
art and more ancient traditions were revived....The idea of a
Memory Palace...a system for remembering everything one saw
and learned....dates back to Roman times and perhaps beyond.

In these days of the information highway, one needn't remember
much of anything, since we have the technology to refind such
information as we need it. I  for one, am always amazed, when I
run into anyone who remembers anything I said to them the last
time I saw them. Not only don't people know how to remember,
they hardly know how to listen.

sno0wl