The Committee for National Solidarity
Tolstojeva 34, Belgrade, YU

STOP NATO: ¡NO PASARAN! - HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.ORG.UK

ListBot Sponsor
Dial 800-555-TELL. Instant updates - One free call.
Sports, stocks, driving directions...& much more!

http://www.bcentral.com/listbot/tellme1

I see 300 graves that could bear the headstone: 'Died of depleted uranium'
Robert Fisk in Bratunac, Eastern Bosnia 13 January 2001 The cemetery is dark,
the evening rain sluicing down the black marble gravestones. But when Nikola
Zelenovic says, offhand, as if it is the most normal thing in the world, that
almost all the graves I can see from one end of the cemetery to the houses in
the other corner belong to cancer victims from Hadjici, it is as if a plague
has fallen on these people. Up to 300 out of 5,000 Serb refugees whose suburb
of Sarajevo was heavily bombed by Nato jets in the late summer of 1995 have
died of cancer. "This is my grandfather Djoko," Nikola says. "He worked in
the military repair factory, and died last year. We all thought it must be
cancer from the bombs." Behind Djoko's grave is that of Slavica Korkotovic.
She, too, died of cancer last year, and a photograph of a very pretty woman
is encased under glass on her gravestone. "She was only 35, and had two
children," Nikola says. And as we go on past the graves, past old Dejan
Elcic, who died of cancer aged 65, and the young men who also worked with
Djoko in the Hadjici factory, the rain now thundering across the piles of
plastic flowers behind each tombstone, one thought springs to mind: it will
be difficult for Nato to get away with this one.

Click here: Independent

Mrs Jela Jovanovic, art historian
Secretary General