-Caveat Lector-

All they need to do is either

A) Switch the drives with new ones, and copy any individual markers etc on them or

B) Use an emp or strong magnet and stuff the drives.

With the technology nowadays, anything on a hard drive can be retrieved even after
multiple reformats. No doubt the advanced stuff the NSA has is far more effective, and
we can expect every year or so the technology to leapfrog forward so anyone with
access to the drives can retrieve anything which was ever on them, including
keystrokes and encryption.