-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 01/14/2001 12:42:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< These rounds are apparently denser than steel (and are
 thus great as armor-piercing rounds) and also apparently explode
 on impact (whether this is due to the fact that they are made of
 depleted uranium, or because they are incendiary rounds, has not
 been clearly reported). In addition, they are also quite radioactive
 and thus poisonous to human life. >>

This is not an indictment of our action in Kosovo.  It is an indictment of
our military establishment which cannot seem to understand just what its
weapons do.  Since they have been using the same depleted uranium on Vieques,
one might think that the increased cancer rates there might have given them a
clue, but what's the difference they must say, since our good friends in the
arms business are making big profits and contributing mightily to the
campaigns of our friends in congress.  It is true that Clinton finally went
forward with military assistance in the former Yugoslavia, but he certainly
didn't choose the weapons to be used.  I'm sure he left that up to his
military advisers (Strangeloves every one).  The military has always gone by
the principle that military members and adjacent civilian populations are
expendable.  And don't forget, had President George Herbert Walker Bush said
one little word when the Serbs started this mess, there would never have been
a need for any weapons to be used there.  He would only have been required to
raise his head and say stop.  He did not.  Years later, Thomas Eagleberger
responded to a question as to why he did not by saying, "He had business
interests there."  I hope they were very profitable.  Prudy