-Caveat Lector-

Published Friday, January 19, 2001, in the Miami Herald

452 felons
cast votes
illegally in
Broward

Hundreds of other ballots in doubt
BY LISA ARTHUR, GEOFF DOUGHERTY AND WILLIAM YARDLEY
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

At least 452 felons voted illegally at the polls in Broward
County on Nov. 7, casting more doubt on the effectiveness of
state laws to protect the integrity of the ballot box, a
Herald investigation has found.

The tainted votes -- found during a review of 587,928 votes
cast in Broward -- underscore concerns about the failure of
Florida's multimillion-dollar effort to prevent election
fraud by eliminating dead and illegal voters from the
registration rolls.

An earlier investigation by The Herald found that of 2.3
million votes reviewed in 22 counties, at least 789 Florida
felons cast ballots. That investigation found 30 absentee
votes cast by felons in Broward.

Joseph Cotter, assistant supervisor of elections in Broward,
said he's surprised there were that many.

``No felon should be voting,'' he said. ``We try to keep the
rolls clean, but I know the problems and limits of the
information we're working with.''

Like other supervisors around the state, Cotter faulted the
``inaccurate'' anti-fraud effort the state undertook after
the 1997 Miami mayoral race was overturned because it was
rife with fraud.

The state Division of Elections hired Boca Raton-based
Database Technologies Inc. to compare voter registration
rolls to criminal databases and lists of dead people. The
lists cast a wide net, and thousands who were eligible to
vote found themselves excluded.

Some counties used the list to clean up their voting rolls.
Broward sent out about 4,000 certified letters to targeted
voters. After an outcry here and accusations around the
state that the data was unreliable and riddled with bad
information, Broward adopted an honor system.

``The state itself said we could not depend on the accuracy
of the data,'' Cotter said. ``We got hundreds of calls from
people saying they were not felons. So we told people it was
their responsibility to have us remove them from the list if
they actually were felons who had not had their rights
restored.''

State records show that the 67 supervisors of elections were
told of the lists' limitations, that the matches were graded
as ``possible'' and ``probable,'' and that the
responsibility of verifying the accuracy of the matches was
theirs.

``We wanted these lists to be fairly broad and
encompassing,'' Emmett ``Bucky'' Mitchell, a former Florida
Division of Elections lawyer who headed the purge effort,
told The Herald in December. ``It was never intended to be a
cure-all.''

Some counties such as Duval and Palm Beach essentially
ignored the list. Others treated it with great skepticism
and did very little with it, interviews with supervisors
have shown.

In addition to the difficulty of coming up with a way to
administer and enforce the laws against felons voting, the
laws themselves have been attacked by civil-liberties
advocates. Several groups have filed a federal lawsuit
alleging the process -- which requires felons to complete
what some call burdensome paperwork -- discriminates against
blacks. Florida is one of 14 states with such policies.

Deerfield Beach resident Douglas Griffin says the law is
unfair.

He has voted regularly since he was released from prison in
1990 after serving time for an aggravated child-abuse
conviction.

In the 2000 presidential election, the registered Democrat
said he voted for Vice President Al Gore.

``I just went [and] my name was on the [rolls] so I just
voted. I wasn't supposed to? Well, I didn't know that,''
Griffin said Thursday.

Griffin, 45, said he has been registered since he turned 18
and votes every chance he gets. He said he believed his
voting rights were restored upon his release.

``From my understanding it was after X amount of years
without any criminal act, after you're released,'' he said.
``Why should it always slap me in the face? That's like
going through a ghost house. It's all behind me. It's over
and done.''

Charles Bodziak said he was released from prison in 1993
after serving time for several convictions, including
burglary and theft.

He said he registered to vote when he applied for a driver's
license six years ago.

I told them I was a felon, and I said, `You sure I can
vote?' She said `Yes, I don't see any problem with it,' ''
Bodziak, 55, of Fort Lauderdale, recalled Thursday.

``I was surprised, but then I thought, after I served my
time, why shouldn't I be able to vote? I didn't mean nothing
wrong by it.''

Miriam Oliphant, Broward's newly elected supervisor of
elections who took office 14 days ago, says she believes
people like Griffin and Bodziak truly don't know they are
ineligible to vote.

``They think it is all OK after they serve their time,''
Oliphant said. ``My job now is to educate people, improve
communication with the state, intervene and prevent it from
happening in the future.''

To find felony voters, The Herald compared a list of all
Broward residents who voted Nov. 7 to a Department of
Corrections database. Reporters then checked those names
against a database of felons who had been granted clemency
and are now allowed to vote. Only those who served at least
a year in state prison and have not received clemency are
included in The Herald's tally of felony voters.

Of the illegal 452 ballots, 343 were cast by Democrats and
62 by Republicans. Elections records also show that as many
as 400 other illegal ballots were cast in Broward County's
Nov. 7 election, most of them by unregistered voters.

Time after time across Broward, poll workers violated
safeguards intended to thwart voter fraud by allowing people
to vote when their names did not appear on precinct voter
registers. All the voters had to do was sign statements
swearing they were eligible to vote.

Oliphant thinks technology is the answer in both problems.
She wants poll workers to have laptops to check the sworn
statements against Broward voter databases instead of having
to phone elections office workers for confirmation. And she
wants the state to come up with a way for Broward and other
counties to tap into the state's primary criminal databases
so they can spot-check and verify information on the purge
list and subsequent updates.

Cotter agrees. And while they've both heard the arguments
about such a system being too costly, both wonder if the
state can afford not to fix the problem.

``We all need to look at the cost this has to the whole
integrity of the election process here in Florida,'' Cotter
said.

Herald staff researcher Tim Henderson contributed to this
story.

Contact Us
Copyright 2001 Miami Herald