-Caveat Lector-

    Post Cassini Flyby News
    Editor - Jonathan Mark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    P.O. Box 1999 Wendell Depot, MA 01380 USA
    Re: http://www.bartjordan.com

        Peltier Denied Freedom

        President Clinton, in his farewell address said, "..As for me, I'll
leave the presidency more idealistic, more full of hope than the day I
arrived and more confident than ever that America's best days lie ahead."
Even though the word "lie" stood out, one could only hope that what he was
saying will become true. For this to happen it would require a total
transformation in the military-industrial-academic complex with a truly fair
justice system for a prosperity, health and peace for humankind and our
natural environment. Yet the denial of Leonard's freedom, in the wake of
documented evidences of overt FBI misconduct, showed the reality of the
ruthless power dominating world affairs and our government.

        Peltier's Clemency denial does not bid well for justice, human
rights and the peace in space issue. The new administration is proposing a
policy for the U.S. to dominate space, which would lead to an acceleration
of the arms race, which leads to more terrorism, leading to more elimination
of our civil rights and liberties, that leads to more terrorism, internal
instability, more wars and a more probable collapse of the human and many
other species of life. Our environment has a limited capacity for abuse.

        A political solution to help end the continued injustices to Leonard
Peltier and help prevent a downward sprial with missile defense, is in the
hands of our supposed representatives in Congress. This may be our last
resort in stopping the terror confronting everyone. Congressional Hearings
on the case of Leonard Peltier would expose FBI misconduct, an illegal land
transfer, a corrupt Indian Council group, armed by the FBI, and more than
sixty murders remaining uninvestigated during the Reign of Terror. Leonard
Peltier was on the Pine Ridge Reservation to protect families for their
lives and for Mother Earth. He remains in prison for this same purpose.

        It seems apparent that when President Clinton made his deal with the
independent investigators about being less than honest in court regarding
his relationship with Monica Lewinsky, other nondisclosed issues were
tide-up in the same package, including the sad fate of human rights
activist, Leonard Peltier. Perhaps, what was at stake for President Clinton
in fighting the FBI, or whoever they represent, was too much to take a stand
to grant Clemency. This choice of self interest will place Leonard Peltier
in prison for a quarter of a Century this February 6.

        To keep best informed on the ongoing struggle subscribe for the
Leonard Peltier Defense Committee's email updates by sending a blank message
to  < [EMAIL PROTECTED] > .

        Leonard Peltier's book, Prison Writings: My Life Is My Sun Dance, is
available from bookstores, libraries and the Leonard Peltier Defense
Committe - http://www.freepeltier.org

        An excerpt from President Clinton's final address 1/1801

        ".. we must remember that America cannot lead in the world unless
here at home we weave the threads of our coat of many colors into the fabric
of one America. As we become ever more diverse, we must work harder to unite
around our common values and our common humanity.

        We must work harder to overcome our differences. In our hearts and
in our laws, we must treat all our people with fairness and dignity,
regardless of their race, religion, gender or sexual orientation and
regardless of when they arrived in our country, always moving toward the
more perfect union of our founders' dreams.."

        President Dwight D. Eisenhower's Farewell Address in 1961.

        "This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large
arms industry is new in the American experience. The total
influence-economic, political, even spiritual-is felt in every city, every
state house, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the
imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its
grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so
is the very structure of our society.

        In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition
of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the
military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of
misplaced power exists and will persist.

        We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our
liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted only
an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of huge
industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and
goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together."

        [Full Address:   http://www.eisenhower.utexas.edu/farewell.htm ]

EcoNews Service - Always online for Exopolitics & a Universe Ecology.
EcoNews http://www.ecologynews.com/
Prague  http://mujweb.cz/www/ecologynews/
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Vancouver, BC V6M 1V8