-Caveat Lector-

"M.A. Johnson" wrote:

> -Caveat Lector-
>
> ~~for educational purposes only~~
> [Title 17 U.S.C. section 107]
>
> Christ the Culprit?
> by Joseph Sobran
>
> Time magazine has just hailed an intellectual breakthrough:
> "A new book claims that Christianity, not just bad Christians,
> is to blame for persecution of the Jews."
>
> What an original idea! This must be only the fortieth book
> to come up with it. The book is Constantine's Sword: The
> Church and the Jews, by James Carroll (Houghton Mifflin).
> Carroll is one of those liberal ex-priests who insist that
> they are staunch Catholics while defaming their Church at
> every turn.
>
> According to Time's reviewer, Carroll, whose book is "brave"
> and "fascinating" (though it merely repeats a thesis that has
> become safe and commonplace), blames anti-Semitism and the
> Holocaust on the popes, the Spanish Inquisition, the Crusades,
> the medieval Church, St. Augustine, St. John Chrysostom, the
> Church fathers, and even the authors of the Gospels.
>
> Has he left anyone out?
>
> Well, yes. Why not blame Jesus Christ? He certainly had
> quarrels with the Jews and made some harsh and provocative
> remarks about them. Why let Christ off the hook?

Quite simple really. No one really knows for certain what Jesus
( not Christ ) said. All information about him comes from the
Church controlled literature and is therefor suspect.

Jesus was NEVER a Christian, but ALWAYS a Jew. And a devout one at that.
The anti Jew rhetoric attributed to him is the Church speaking. Not
Jesus. We can presume this from information OUTSIDE of the control of
the Church which exist in Roman and Jewish writings, and conflict with
what has been canonized.

This is why Sobran is a phony apologist for Christianity.

> If the
> Church has so consistently opposed the Jews for two millennia,
> might not its Founder have had some influence in the matter?

No.

> Are we really supposed to believe that, once he had left this
> earth, Christianity immediately adopted a doctrine totally
> alien to him? If the Church is so thoroughly anti-Semitic,
> why not trace its anti-Semitism to Christ himself?

Because Christianity has nothing to do with Jesus. Christianity
was invented by Paul.

> Ah, but that might be a little more "brave" than Carroll
> deems prudent. It might cut him off from the Faith to which
> he professes allegiance. Christ is a pretty imposing figure
> even now. Safer to blame the Church, the popes, even the
> Apostles, than the Founder himself. One nubile movie star,
> blaming the Catholic Church in a recent interview for
> inhibiting her sex life, never fingered Christ as the
> culprit  as if Catholic doctrines didn't reflect Christ's
> own stern teachings on lust, but were superimposed by a
> bunch of old celibate males.

He got that right.

> You'll notice that whenever people dislike Christianity,
> they blame whatever they dislike about it on everyone but
> Jesus. They'd have us believe that they have no quarrel
> with Christ's "authentic" teachings, with which they are
> in total agreement, but reject only those alien accretions
> that started collecting, as they claim, the moment Christ
> departed.
>
> The so-called Jesus Seminar, a group of liberal theologians,
> has even decided to tell us which Gospel sayings Jesus
> "really" spoke  and the "authentic" ones always turn
> out to be those that are acceptable to modern liberalism.

Sobran is an ignorant fool. Jesus's " authentic " sayings were
acceptable to *** ancient liberalism ***. That's what makes them
likely to be true. Jesus's sayings were Pharisaic teachings. The
Pharisees were the Liberals of their day. NOT the blind conservatives
as portrayed in the Christian Bible. Jesus was a Pharisee. The Jews
he was in conflict with were the rich, aristocratic Saducees who did
business with the Romans, and controlled the Temple. The Christian
fathers turned that around and made THEIR ENEMIES - the Rabbinic
Pharisees, the enemies of Jesus.

This is where Christian anti-semitism started. The Church fathers
altered history to make the Jews, ( who rejected Christianity )
not the Romans ( who eventually adopted Christianity ) responsible for
the death of Jesus.

> It's easy to see why. If you want to make Jesus Christ a
> modern liberal, you have to edit the Gospels pretty heavily.
> Garry Wills does something similar in his recent book,
> Papal Sin, which purports to be a critique of the modern
> papacy but winds up rejecting some ancient and basic
> Catholic doctrines. Of course Wills never admits that he
> rejects any of Christ's own teachings.
>
> Just as those who cant about "anti-Semitism" stop short
> of indicting Christ, those who cant about "racism" present
> a heavily expurgated version of Abraham Lincoln, and for
> similar reasons.

snip> irrelevant conservative drivel about Lincoln.>

> Liberals know they can't afford to make full frontal
> assaults on such venerable figures as Christ and Lincoln.
> So they continue to feed the public false images and
> censored versions of them. You have to wonder how long
> liberalism could survive without lies.

Poor guy. This is just the beginning. Christianity, and believing
Christians will have a hell of a time apologizing for their
behavior over the past two millennia. It will only get worse as
archaeology and science become more adept at discovering history.

Joshua2