-Caveat Lector-

  For those of use who appreciate Carla Binion's insightful articles, it's
exciting to be here, in the beginning, as her talent explodes and her
exposure blossoms.

  I asked Carla a few questions about how she began this journey.  This is
posted with her permission.

<< Did you always aspire to be a writer, or did you begin writing because you
saw an information gap that needed to be filled? >>

I tossed around the idea of writing for a long time, but didn't do it until I
noticed the information gap in the mainstream media.  I think spreading
factual information far and wide is the most likely hope for a better world.
This is just an aside, but I wish I could reach the people who have the power
to make a public-interest-promoting 24-hour a day TV news network a reality
and convince them to try to create it.  I think such a network would spread
the facts better than any other form of media, because so many people get all
their news from TV, for better or worse.  I'm not sure which individuals in
the country might have the power, desire and ability to create that kind of
network, though.

<< Do you have a book in the works?  Are you published in newspapers or
magazines?  How did you get your start at the OnLine Journal? >>

I don't have a book in the works and haven't been published anywhere except
Online Journal and a couple of times in American Politics Journal.  In the
case of Online Journal, I sent a letter to the editor there about a year ago,
and she used the letter as an article.  Since then, I've sent her all the
things I've written, and she has used them all so far.

I haven't submitted articles to any newspapers or magazines, except once to
Brills Content (but they said they don't use essays.)  A few weeks ago
somebody else passed an essay I wrote along to Bill Greider, the guy who
wrote WHO WILL TELL THE PEOPLE.  Greider wrote back and said he sent the
article to The Nation.  He suggested I contact an editor there.  So far I
haven't formally submitted anything (no formal query), but probably will
eventually.

<< Do you use references from your own personal book collection, or do you do
mainly web research and library research?  Do you have an agent yet, and
what direction do you foresee your writing career taking?  (Or are you
issue-oriented and not aspiring to a pre-carved journalistic path?) >>

I mostly (probably 90% of the time) use references from my own personal books
with just a little library and web research.  I don't have an agent.  I'm
embarrassed to admit it, but I've never thought about a career beyond being a
housewife and writing for online publications.  I just care about the
harmful, dangerous political direction the country is taking, and it concerns
me that the only place the public can find out the truth about it is on the
Internet.

Today on Online Journal's site, there's an article about the probable Bush
plans to do massive logging and other damage to the environment.  The author
mentions the unnecessary cutting of huge numbers of giant redwoods and other
trees.  I literally cried when I read that article, empathizing with the
trees, with nature and all the pointless, ruthless destruction of endangered
species such as the coho salmon and other living things ... all for nothing
but money.  Even if the money-grubbers don't care about nature in any
immediate sense, you'd think they'd have the foresight not to throw the whole
ecological system out of balance for future generations.
---------
Samantha