-Caveat Lector-

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:12:55 EST, "Samantha L." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted
article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, which said:

> (Whitley does not give permission to send his articles in their entirety.
> Please see the web page for the full story).
>
> 01/23/01: A DANGEROUS SITUATION by Whitley Strieber
>
> http://www.whitleysworld.com/new-journal012301.html

A few quotes from the article, with my comments:

> This administration is going to not only refuse to participate in the
> environmental debate, it is going to seek to proactively derail it at
> every level, from attempting to close down international efforts to do
> something, to curtailing research into climate change whenever possible.
>
> Just when we most urgently need to see, our leaders intend to blind us.

I don't think they can derail private investigations unless they actually make
it illegal to even research the problem or conduct harmless studies.

> How many lives are at stake?  Vast numbers, but the issue is even larger
> than the possible loss of millions.  It is a question of countries, even
> whole continents, being at jeopardy as viable places to live for the
> foreseeable future.  We could see the brightest light of human
> culture--Europe--fatally dimmed or even extinguished.  The United States,
> now one of the world's great breadbaskets, could, in a single season,
> become a net food importer.  But where will that food come from?

Some have theorized that the globe isn't ultimately warming, but stabilizing;
that the equatorial temperatures will cool and the pole temperatures will
warm.  This may result in less available land mass, but a higher percentage of
land that we do have will be suitable for farming.  Countries like Ethiopia
will no longer be desert-ridden and farming will become much easier so that
people will not starve to death.  Such global changes are necessary, given the
increasing population.  Imagine that.  Less desert at the equator and less ice
at the poles means a greener planet overall.  It also means that seasons would
be less extreme.  We may have a growing season that never ends.

This article discusses it in part:
http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue143/labnotes.html

> Master of the Key - The climate will begin to change in 2000, and this
> Master of the Key - process will accelerate over the next decades.
> Master of the Key - There is a great cycle of climate that began 2.8
> Master of the Key - million years ago and has resulted in the
> Master of the Key - fundamental destabilization of your world’s
> Master of the Key - weather system.  You evolved intelligence in order
> Master of the Key - to survive the sudden shifts back and forth from
> Master of the Key - ice ages to temperate periods.  In fact, this
> Master of the Key - planetary instability has been the engine of your
> Master of the Key - evolution.  The cycle is about to change, and to
> Master of the Key - challenge you again.

Perhaps people will no longer eschew bioengineered foods if it's all they can
get.

> In the latest issue of the journal Science, there is a report on a study
> by British scientists that illustrates what happened two million years ago
> when the climate changed suddenly.  The sparse population of early humans
> living then were deprived of their accustomed food sources, and forced to
> learn new ways of finding enough to eat.  This must have been extremely
> hard for them, and--of course--completely incomprehensible.

Not to worry.  I'm sure that with money and secured income in the form of
patents as an incentive, some corporation will surely come up with a way to
feed us all...for a price.  I wonder what those toothpick-like supermodels
will do.  Dom DeLuise will be around for a long time after food supplies come
up short.  And if food runs short, I guess I should be happy that I put a
little extra weight around the middle. :-D

Damaeus