-Caveat Lector-

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX WED JAN 24, 2001 9:15:48 ET XXXXX

CNN TELLS STAFFERS TO GET OUT; GUARD ESCORTS, COMPUTER SHUT
DOWNS, TEARS! COO CALLS LAYOFFS 'NOTHING MATERIAL'; TURNER VOWED
'MOST SOCIALLY CONSCIOUS COMPANY WORLD HAS EVER SEEN'

Shocked employees are being told to pack it up and get out in
hours as layoffs hit the once-mighty allnews network CNN this
week.

Hundreds of fired staffers are forced to sign papers agreeing to
release and severance pay.

Security card-keys and IDs are confiscated, but not before
passwords on their work computers are changed, preventing them
from retrieving personal files and cutting them off from their
e-mail. Some are returning to their desks to find their
telephones disconnected.

The NEW YORK POST's Adam Buckman reports that uniformed security
guards stand and watch as the dismissed - some crying - clean out
their desks. The guards then escort them like common criminals to
the exits.

Seven security guards were on hand to supervise the firings at
CNN's Sunset Strip bureau in Los Angeles on Monday, where
employeees were let go moments after an internal memo was issued
warning of hard times ahead.

"I felt like a criminal, a crook, a loser," one fired on-air
talent told the DRUDGE REPORT late Tuesday. "Maybe I am all those
and more, I worked here for so many years. I'll never be able to
log on to AOL again, without feeling blind rage."

Adding insult to pink slip, AOLTIMEWARNER's co-chief operating
officer Richard Parsons has called the layoffs -- involving many
veteran CNN staffers -- 'nothing material'.

In an interview with the LOS ANGELES TIMES last week, Parsons
explained: "This merger is not about layoffs. But in any merger,
you are going to have some overlap and redundancy, with the
exception of co-COOs (laughter)... There will be some personnel
actions you will hear about in the coming days, but nothing
material. "

Among those fired were Greg LaMotte, who was captured by Iraqi
soldiers at the end of the Gulf War and held in captivity for a
week.

'SOCIAL DESTINY'

The firings come a year after CNN founder vowed of the new
merger: "This will be the most socially conscious company the
world has ever seen."

AOLTIMEWARNER head Gerry Levin declared: "We care not only about
value creation... but also the values that we feel we can leave
as a legacy... that have a lot to do with the social destiny of
people everywhere. This merger is not just about big business.
This is not just about money. This is about making a better world
for people." AOLTIMEWARNER chair Steve Case added: "We have an
unbelievable opportunity to really make a difference, not just in
terms of the services people use, but also in terms of the kind
of impact we can have on society."

AOLTIMEWARNER's first impact on society: burdening the nation's
unemployment rolls.

Reports are moved when circumstances warrant
http://www.drudgereport.com for updates (c)DRUDGE REPORT 2001 Not
for reproduction without permission of the author

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:
                     *Michael Spitzer*  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>