-Caveat Lector-

> Shocked employees are being told to pack it up and get out in hours as
> layoffs hit the once-mighty allnews network CNN this week.
>
> Hundreds of fired staffers are forced to sign papers agreeing to release
> and severance pay.
>
> Security card-keys and IDs are confiscated, but not before passwords on
> their work computers are changed, preventing them from retrieving personal
> files and cutting them off from their e-mail. Some are returning to their
> desks to find their telephones disconnected.
>
> The NEW YORK POST's Adam Buckman reports that uniformed security guards
> stand and watch as the dismissed - some crying - clean out their desks. The
> guards then escort them like common criminals to the exits.

There's nothing different here than has happened in any number of other companies who
have also had layoffs
over the past decade...

It SOP to have those laid off sign severance agreements, and to deactivate their card
keys and computer
logons; it is also not uncommon to have security guards on hand.  Hey, if you were an
employee who was NOT
laid off, wouldn't you want some measures taken to make sure that your coworkers who
did get laid off didn't
at the very least vandalize property, including computer systems, or at worst 'go
postal'?

> "I felt like a criminal, a crook, a loser," one fired on-air talent told
> the DRUDGE REPORT late Tuesday. "Maybe I am all those and more, I worked
> here for so many years. I'll never be able to log on to AOL again, without
> feeling blind rage."

Hey, when I used to have an AOHell account, I almost always felt blind rage when I
logged in -- or more
accurately, attempted to log in to a system that more often than not has all access
lines busy...

I really experienced blind rage once I was able to get in, and was constantly
confronted with evidence that my
emails were being censored by AOHell, and that they were in bed with the fedspooks,
who took inordinate
interest in some very innocuous private chat rooms....

June