-Caveat Lector-

Health regulators investigating cattle quarantined in Texas

By PHILIP BRASHER, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (January 26, 2001 7:23 a.m. EST
http://www.nandotimes.com) - Federal health regulators are investigating
1,000 cattle that were quarantined in Texas after a feed mill disclosed it
may have violated rules designed to prevent mad-cow disease.

Mad-cow disease - or bovine spongiform encephalopathy - has never been
found in any U.S. cattle. However, as a precautionary measure, the
government has banned cows and sheep from being given feed made from
animal parts.

The feed maker notified the Food and Drug Administration that it may have
mixed up ingredients, letting some cattle eat bone meal made from other
U.S. cattle, FDA spokesman Lawrence Bachorik said Thursday.

"No cattle that might have received the feed will enter the food chain unless
FDA decides there is no problem," he said.

A feed lot has quarantined the cattle while FDA investigators determine if
any did eat banned feed, Bachorik said. While he wouldn't identify the feed
maker, he stressed any risk is theoretical because U.S. cattle haven't been
found carrying BSE.

Mad-cow disease has so far been confined to Europe. The feed ban is
designed to keep mad cow from spreading through animal feed if the
disease does get into the United States.

A recent FDA report found that hundreds of feed makers were violating
labeling requirements and other rules associated with the ban. The
National Cattlemen's Beef Association has organized a private meeting
Monday involving representatives of the industry and officials from the FDA
and the Agriculture Department to press for better compliance.

"We decided that, given the situation in Europe, that we wanted to bring all
the key players together to achieve 100 percent compliance with the FDA
feed prohibitions," Gary Weber, who oversees regulatory issues for the
rancher's group, said Thursday.

The disease first appeared in 1984 in a cow in Britain thought to have
eaten feed that included offal from sheep that harbored scrapie, a similar
illness.

The FDA has warned U.S. feed makers that continued violations will
prompt seizures of feed, company closures, even prosecution. Some
companies have received warning letters, and some feed has been
recalled, the agency said.

"We're prepared to go to the meeting and let them know we are doing or
are willing to do our part to ensure that we don't get BSE into this country,"
said Tom Cook, president of the National Renderers Association, which
represents plants that process animal parts for feed and other products.

"We want the FDA to enforce the feed ban and take what resources it
needs to make sure it is enforced."

Americans are aware of the problem in Europe, but so far they are not
overly worried, according to a recent ABC-Washington Post poll. One in
five of those surveyed said they were very concerned about the problem,
and fewer than half said they were at least somewhat concerned.

The U.S. livestock industry in 1996 voluntarily banned sheep and certain
other animal parts from U.S. feed, in which they were included as a protein
supplement. The following year, FDA formally banned any proteins from
cows, sheep, goats, deer or elk - animals that get similar brain-wasting
diseases - from feed for cows, sheep or goats. Poultry or pigs can still eat
those proteins because they cannot contract the disease, but feed must be
labeled "do not feed to cows or other ruminants" and companies must have
systems to prevent accidentally mixing up the feeds.

ANOMALOUS IMAGES AND UFO FILES
http://www.anomalous-images.com