-Caveat Lector-

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: NYTimes: U.S. Aid Abroad Is Business Back Home
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 21:57:50 -0600 (CST)
From: Joyo News <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;

Washington Post
Friday, January 26, 2001
-front page-

Aid Abroad Is Business Back Home

By Michael Dobbs
Washington Post Foreign Service

Last of three articles

In September 1997, a development consulting firm headquartered in elegant
offices on 20th Street NW celebrated winning a $26 million contract from the
U.S. Agency for International Development. Chemonics International Inc. had
the go-ahead to lead a three-year effort to promote democracy in local
government in Poland.

The project became one of the most ambitious U.S. foreign aid initiatives in
the former Soviet Bloc. To hear USAID officials talk, it was a model worthy
of emulation around the world. Assessments by Polish recipients range widely,
from modestly positive to scathingly critical.

What is not in doubt is the financial boost that such programs have given to
the development business back in the United States. An analysis of the Polish
project shows that the bulk of the $26 million was spent on aid consultants,
many of them Americans, for such things as salaries, airfare, rent, office
equipment, cost-of-living allowances, cars and a support staff back in
Washington.

In an era of declining aid budgets, USAID's official Web site proclaims that
"the principal beneficiary of America's foreign assistance program has always
been the United States." The site notes that nearly 80 percent of USAID
contracts and grants go "directly to American firms." It adds that USAID
programs, which cost about $7.5 billion last year, have helped create new
markets for American goods and "hundreds of thousands of jobs" for U.S.
citizens.

USAID officials contend the system benefits both sides. Americans get jobs
and foreigners get hard-to-acquire knowledge that will enable them to build
thriving economies and stable, democratic governments. Critics argue that the
principal beneficiaries are a handful of big consulting outfits, for-profit
and nonprofit, with an inside track on the complex and highly bureaucratic
art of winning government contracts.

Nowhere is aid a bigger business than in the Washington area, home to dozens
of development groups that feed off USAID and compete for contracts. Many of
these companies are staffed by retired USAID employees skilled in writing
proposals to appeal to their erstwhile government colleagues. Some employ
spouses of current USAID officials.

One of the largest and most successful of these companies is Chemonics, which
runs a host of foreign aid programs -- its work includes improving air
quality in Cairo and helping persuade Colombian farmers to stop growing
illicit coca and opium poppy crops. In Poland, the work has entailed such
things as helping local governments reform their budgets, computerize housing
databases and improve their public relations techniques.

Fifty-two percent of Chemonics' shares are owned by a former assistant
administrator of USAID from the last Bush administration, Scott M. Spangler;
the rest are held by staff members and a minority investor.

Run day-to-day by a former U.S. Foreign Service officer named Thurston Teele,
Chemonics reported a record $85 million in revenue for the last nine months
of 1999 and net income of $1.7 million. The company's return on equity was 34
percent, it reports.

According to Teele, Chemonics relies on USAID for 90 percent of its business,
which has been growing at about 20 percent a year.

Chemonics -- like its leading competitors, Development Alternatives Inc. of
Bethesda and Academy for Educational Development on Connecticut Avenue --
devotes much of its work in Washington to winning USAID contracts. This
highly specialized process demands intimate knowledge of agency rules and
procedures. Once a contract is won, the firms may charge various forms of
administrative overhead, which in the Polish project amounted to about $5.4
million, or 21 percent of the Chemonics contract.

Also keeping the money in American hands are laws that oblige both USAID and
Chemonics to use American companies and American subcontractors wherever
possible, even if the cost is significantly higher than using foreign ones.
Chemonics personnel in Poland, as in other parts of the world, are required
to fly on American airlines, drive American automobiles and type their
reports on American computers.

J. Brian Atwood, who stepped down as director of USAID in 1999 after six
years in the job, describes the buy-American procurement laws as "the biggest
headache I had to deal with" at the agency. He argues that the rigidity and
complexity of the contract-bidding process -- a proposal can cost the bidder
$50,000 to produce -- favors big companies like Chemonics over small
nonprofit groups. "It is a very frustrating aspect of the way USAID is run."

Teele describes the procurement regulations as "a necessary evil."

"In order to sell these programs to Congress and keep them sold," he said,
aid agencies must show that foreign assistance benefits the United States. He
dismisses recent proposals to exempt the world's poorest countries from the
buy-American requirements as politically unrealistic. "The U.S. won't let it
happen," he said.

Despite the outward signs of prosperity at Chemonics, aid contracting is not
a particularly profitable business, Teele argues. He added: "The [American]
aid system is as good as you will find anywhere. It is very transparent. Real
corruption is virtually nonexistent."

Americans in Poland

On the wall of the Warsaw headquarters of the Polish local government project
is a sign posted by Chemonics employees that wryly sums up the experience of
the last three years. The "Six Phases of a Successful Program" are listed as:
1) Enthusiasm; 2) Disillusionment; 3) Panic; 4) Search for the guilty; 5)
Punishment of the innocent; 6) Praise and honors for non-participants.

Hailed by USAID as part of America's "legacy" to Poland, the local government
project has been through all these phases.

By most accounts, the first year was chaotic. Jerzy Fischer, a Polish
consultant who worked closely with the company, recalls "dozens of Americans
arriving with their wives, dogs, cats and children, causing many more
problems than they were able to solve." He notes that the total cost of
employing an American in Poland is around $200,000, many times more than the
salary of a Pole with equivalent qualifications.

USAID and Chemonics were roundly criticized by independent evaluators for
hiring 23 expatriate consultants, few of whom had worked in Poland before,
when a half-dozen probably would have sufficed. The project was poorly
designed and over-ambitious in scope, the evaluators said.

"The returns [on] cost of the first year, $7.3 million, are very difficult to
show," concluded the report, written for USAID by another Washington-based
contractor, Management Systems International. "Polish counterparts were able
to see that the quality was low and resented, justifiably, that [the foreign]
experts were being paid large salaries and were producing little."

"It was shocking to me," said Cesar Marcino, a Venezuelan housing consultant
hired to work on the local government project from February 1998 to March
1999. "We discovered when we got out there that a lot of the [materials] that
we were supposed to disseminate were not appropriate [for Polish conditions].
It was like dressing someone up in clothes that don't fit him."

USAID and Chemonics responded to the problems by installing new project
management and replacing many of the Americans with Poles. This resulted in
significant improvements, according to USAID officials and independent
evaluators. After a year largely devoted to resolving logistical problems in
Warsaw, team members began getting out in the field, working with 45
"partner" municipalities (out of about 2,500).

Teele acknowledged difficulties in the first year, but said that they were
rapidly corrected, in cooperation with USAID, which last year gave Chemonics
an "excellent" rating for its overall performance in Poland. He added that
the original USAID plan called for a large number of expatriates in the early
phase. "They asked for the expatriates, so that is what we gave them," he
said.

As the local government project nears its end in March, USAID officials are
generally upbeat about it. "In terms of results, this is one of the best
projects that USAID has," said William Frej, who headed the agency's
operations in Poland until last summer, when the USAID mission in Warsaw was
closed.

"It's bad news that they're leaving," said Rafat Jozwiak, assistant mayor of
Kutno, in central Poland, which is implementing several Chemonics-run
programs, including one aimed at increasing public participation in local
government. "They have helped us become more professional."

Yet other Poles feel that the practical results are modest, particularly in
relation to the $26 million investment. While many mayors express gratitude
for the assistance, others say they would not repeat the experience, and
criticize the amount of money that consultants ate up.

"When we agreed to cooperate with them, we thought we would get something
concrete out of it," said Edmund Puzio, mayor of the lakeside resort town of
Mikolajki, in northeastern Poland. "We were looking for tangible results, but
all we got was a lot of papers and books. It was like attending a university."

U.S. officials say such criticism misses the point. USAID, they argue, is no
longer in the business of giving charity, but of transferring knowledge.
Given this shift in priorities, said recently departed USAID administrator J.
Brady Anderson, "it doesn't matter that a large percentage of our budget goes
for the kind of thing that we buy in the U.S. I say 'so what?' "

But even Poles who are well-disposed to USAID have reservations about how the
know-how was delivered. It was "a colonialist approach," said Jerzy Regulski,
who is widely regarded as Poland's leading expert on local government reform
and served as a cabinet minister in the post-communist era. "The attitude of
the foreign experts was, 'We have money, we are wise, we know what to do.'
But the American experts had never lived under communism. Much of their
technical information was not usable in a different political setting."

Regulski and others point out that by the time the Chemonics project got
underway in 1998, Poland already had nearly a decade of experience in local
government reform following the collapse of communism in 1989. But instead of
working through existing Polish institutions, Chemonics set up its own
well-funded operation, draining talent away from local organizations with
offers of higher salaries.

Teele acknowledges that Chemonics was approached by many Polish local
government experts, several of whom were hired at salaries "somewhat higher"
than standard local rates. He added, however, that "we collaborated closely
with the local groups. We had the same goals."

A 'Paper Factory'

In this project and similar ones around the world, extraordinary effort is
devoted to satisfying the internal reporting requirements of USAID. Fischer,
the Polish consultant, compares the Chemonics headquarters on Lucka Street in
Warsaw to a giant "paper factory" churning out reports to Washington.

Many of the reports attempt to quantify success. Filled with such terms as
"NGO Sustainability Index" and "SO 2.3 results framework," the reports are
designed to impress congressional appropriators but often end up vanishing
into a vast bureaucratic hole.

Their flavor is reflected in a one-inch-thick document issued last summer
that attempts to show how Chemonics met various USAID targets. For example,
in order to demonstrate "increased participation in local government
decision-making," Chemonics commissioned an opinion survey in randomly
selected "partner" municipalities. Among other things, the survey found that
one in six citizens had attended municipal budget presentations and one in
four citizens had met with their local representatives at some point during
the previous year.

There was no baseline to show that public participation had risen over the
project's lifetime, however. And if public participation did increase, no
evidence was produced to show that this was the result of the Chemonics
project, as opposed to myriad other changes underway in Poland.

Both USAID and Chemonics officials acknowledge problems with these efforts to
quantify, part of a U.S. government-wide effort to demonstrate results, but
insist they are better than nothing. "I don't think we are quite there yet in
terms of turning this from an art into a science," said Donald L. Pressley,
assistant USAID administrator for Europe and Eurasia. But the effort "is a
correct one."

For-Profit vs. Nonprofit

One of the hottest debates within the foreign aid community over the last few
years has concerned the proper balance of for-profit contractors like
Chemonics versus nonprofit agencies that receive USAID grants.

Nonprofit grantees are typically much smaller operations, have their own
vision of international development and seek U.S. government support to
implement it. In USAID's view, the main advantage of for-profit contractors
is that they do what they are told and account well for their spending.
Grantees often resent interference from Washington.

"Over the past few years, we have had the sense that USAID has been favoring
for-profit firms," said John Zarafonetis, director for development policy at
InterAction, a Washington-based lobbying group that represents more than 165
nonprofits. USAID officials in Washington deny that and say the two types of
groups get a roughly equal share of the foreign aid budget.

A Senate report last summer strongly criticized the agency's "reluctance to
work directly with local non-government organizations" in the Balkans, and
demanded that USAID stop handing out "large grants to U.S. contractors with
no relevant field experience."

Other critics fault the buy-American approach. Research by Rep. Jim McDermott
(D-Wash.) showed that 53 cents of every dollar spent by the United States on
tackling the AIDS crisis in Africa never left the Washington, D.C., area.
"Much of the aid is very ineffective," he said. "It is in the hands of
various consultants who fly over to Africa for a week and then come back."

Teele acknowledges that Chemonics has benefited from USAID's ever-increasing
reliance on independent contractors. As the aid agency gets smaller, he
notes, it is farming out contracts in ever larger chunks. But he disputes the
idea that the deck is stacked against small companies. "We don't win only
because we write better proposals. We win because we do a better job."

Despite the complaints, many Poles feel that the consultants performed a
valuable service in demonstrating international support for Poland after
nearly half a century of communist isolation. "We had to learn the language
of international civilization," said Jacek Szymanderski, who heads Municipal
Development Agency, a USAID-funded think tank. "We needed foreign advisers
here at the beginning, although maybe not as many as showed up."

[This message was distributed via the east-timor news list.]

T O P I C A  -- Learn More. Surf Less.
http://www.topica.com/partner/tag01