-Caveat Lector-

--Bush, who attended Phillips Academy in Andover, Mass., had friends ranging
from prep school students to international students who came to Yale on
financial aid.

Roy Austin '68, a Davenport student, was one of these friends, as he came to
Yale from Saint Vincent and The Grenadines. One classmate said Austin was
difficult to relate to for many because of he was significantly older than
other Yale students in the class of 1968, but Bush had no problem forging a
friendship.

Austin also said that he experienced some discrimination at Yale, but never
any from Bush.

"I think he is a very nice person, as many people seem to realize," Austin
said. "He could get along with anybody, and maybe that is why I was able to
get along with him."

The fact that Austin and Bush were in the same senior society, Skull and
Bones, of course helped their friendship along.

And according to Dieter, Bush spent much of his senior year at Skull and
Bones.

Here Bush also forged a strong relationship with Donald Etra '68, who again
commented on Bush's willingness to interact with anyone and not restrict
himself to either the jock side or the intellectual side of the college.

Etra was a big consumer advocate and worked with current presidential
candidate Ralph Nader when he left college, and he is also a criminal defense
lawyer, often representing people on death row.

And yet, despite his strong political differences with Bush, he still is
supporting him in the presidential election.

"I wrote a letter to the whole class [encouraging support for Bush] because I
think George has a terrific track record for what he did in Texas," Etra
said. "I was incredibly impressed with the relationship he has established
between Texas and Mexico, especially compared to the California relationship
with Mexico."

Etra added that the letter led many in the class to contribute to Bush's
campaign, and that the class has been very supportive.

But while Bush spent all this time forging friendships in the class and
getting to know people, he did not spend much time hitting the books.

"He's not an academic kind of person," said Dieter, who is a professor of
criminal law and trial advocacy at the University of Colorado.--
=====

--
http://www.med.yale.edu/yaxis/res_coll.html

The exception to the rule of residential college-sponsored social events are
the fraternities and secret societies which will throw an occasional mixer.
Due to the strength of the college system, fraternities and sororities have
traditionally been absent from Yale but the last few years have seen a strong
resurgence in Greek activity. Most weekends will find one or more frats
throwing a party; good ones include the Zeta Psi Buffet Bash and Sigma Nu's
Octoberfest. And everyone should experience the hedonism of DKE Tang at least
once. With colorful names like "Skull and Bones," "Book and Snake," and
"Wolf's Head," the secret societies (unof cially, seven in all) are housed in
those windowless, tomb-like buildings which you may see here and there around
campus. Membership in each is limited to 12 15 seniors, most of whom are
prominent and accomplished members of the class. Although membership in
societies is supposed to be secret, it is also a status symbol and provides
access to a valuable "old boy" network of society alums (ask George Bush
about "Skull and Bones"). Society members usually throw one or two
often-extravagant parties per year in their exotic tombs, but the invite-only
policy tends to be strictly enforced.
=====

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/Article.asp?type=live&AID=14002
Published Wednesday, December 13, 2000
Secret societies add to Yale mystique

BY ALICE DONG
Contributing Reporter
Founded in the early 19th century, the secret societies at Yale have since
been a trademark of the University. As has been tradition since 1832, when
Skull and Bones, Yale's first secret society, was founded, a select group of
prominent juniors are initiated into this underground world annually.

But unlike Tap Night for freshmen, there are no loud celebrations on Old
Campus or whole-hearted congratulations from friends. New members are instead
whisked away in the silence of the night; they are sworn to secrecy about the
world they are about to enter.

This underground world was built at a time when students were looking for a
stronger sense of a close-knit community at Yale.

The need for societies

During the early years at Yale, students were looking to distinguish
themselves in the highly regulated atmosphere. At the time, all were required
to live in the same building, eat in the same dining hall, perform chores
together and to live relatively similar lives.

Amongst the organizations established at Yale during that time was Phi Beta
Kappa. Upon initiation to Phi Beta Kappa, members were sworn to secrecy.

"During the 1830s to 1850s, there was a great fad for secret societies,"
history professor Gaddis Smith said. During that period America consisted of
"mobile societies. ... People felt uprooted; they were looking for roots and
a sense of community."

When administrators at Harvard found out about Phi Beta Kappa, they sent a
representative named Edward Everett, a Unitarian Massachusetts minister and a
future president of Harvard, to visit the secret meeting at Yale, according
to Brooks Mather Kelley's "Yale: A History."

He spoke to the underclassmen yet to be initiated in the society against the
oath of secrecy, stating that "the students at Harvard had such conscientious
scruples as to keep them from taking the vow of secrecy."

Appealing to their consciences, Everett persuaded many not to join. Everett's
appeal was widespread; Phi Beta Kappa began to decline thereafter.

But in reaction to the loss of Phi Beta Kappa, Yale seniors Alphonso Taft and
William Huntington Russell decided to form their own secret group.

Creating the skulls

Russell, who had gone abroad to Germany for a year, became a proponent of
Hegellianism, the theories of University of Berlin Professor Georg Wilhelm
Friedrich Hegel. Hegel believed that citizens' first priority was service to
the state.

While in Germany, Russell became associated with one of the societies there
based on Hegellianism and obtained permission to establish the 322nd chapter
-- and first in America -- at Yale.

The society Russell formed with fellow Yale senior Taft was the Order of
Skull and Bones, which they established in 1832 in the back room of what was
the Courant Building on Chapel Street.

Its objective was to shape its members into prominent, successful members of
society.

The first members joined perhaps because they were inspired by the president
at the time, Andrew Jackson, a self-made man, to take a leading role of the
still developing nation.

The early years

At first, the society' s initiation night required a society member to carry
with him a human skull and bone to a nominated junior and ask, "Do you
accept?"

These founding society members established traditions such as the bonding
rituals.

Every member of Skull and Bones is assigned a Sunday night during which to
tell his or her life history to fellow members who are sworn to secrecy,
Smith said. Members also have "Connubial Bliss" nights during which a member
divulges all sexual experiences with fellow Bonesmen.

>From the very first Skull and Bones' circle, members' photos are framed and
hung on a wall of the Skull and Bones now located at High Street. Archives of
all meetings are also stored in what many call the "tomb" because of its
spacious area and boarded up windows.

But while those details are not known, much about the society's activities
was a mystery then and remains one now.

Students' reaction

elite of Yale, resentful students formed the Scroll and Key society in 1841.

The founders were students who were in contention for admission to the Skull
and Bones but not accepted. This new society modeled itself after the Skulls
with the same initiation and meeting times. Wolf's Head would soon follow in
1883, and Book and Snake society was founded in 1863, but waited until 1933
before converting into a senior society.

Over the years, there were periods when the clout given to members of many of
these societies provoked animosity among those in the student body who were
not initiated into this secret world.

Others attempted to form societies that would model the success of those
before them, but received little attention and quickly died. These societies
included Sword and Crown, Star and Dart and Spade and Grave in the late 1850s
and early 60s. None of these managed to gain the prominence of the societies
before them.

Instead, students formed mock societies such as Bowl and Stones, whose
purpose was to ridicule the practices of these societies. Students would
follow society members on their way to meetings, jeering at them and singing
their society songs.

During such times, some of the societies, such as Spade and Grave, had
problems even filling their 15 openings.

Here to stay

But despite a range of opinions from students both then and now about the
societies, they are undoubtedly here to stay as a tradition unique to Yale.

"There always was a certain amount of ridicule toward the societies, but they
also became very powerful," Smith said.

To this day, juniors wait with anticipation, hoping to be tapped into one of
the societies. These societies have consistently selected members who over
the years have made their mark on the world.
=====
http://www.yaledailynews.com/opinion/Article.asp?type=live&AID=13369
GUEST COLUMN | MOLLY WORTHEN
The screw-your-nation presidential election

MOLLY WORTHEN

Published 10/31/00
Recently, two things in my life that I once found theoretically enjoyable,
even exciting, have become huge pains in the neck. These are: First,
screw-your-roommate dances and second, the presidential election. And I am
convinced that these things have more in common than the fact that they
irritate me. In the never-ending quest for a meaningless and somewhat
inaccurate analogy, I will tell you why.

As prefrosh, we heard of these provocatively-named screw-your-roommate
affairs; before we got here, they sounded fun and exciting. They were a rite
of passage, not unlike the prospect of turning 18 and casting our first
ballots. Just as universal suffrage is the inalienable right of all American
citizens, so is the screw an integral part of the Yale experience. So we
thought in our youthful, idyllic minds.

And now the screws and the elections are here. We page through the facebook
and try to evaluate what we see, but -- just like the candidates' rosy
policies promising every American 95 percent tax cuts, plenty of drugs,
education and our very own pony -- the picture in the facebook might be a far
cry from what the guy will be like once we choose him.

For example, last year we picked out this date for my suitemate, and he was a
regular facebook Adonis. But it must have been one of those high school
senior portraits in which they make you lean seductively against a faux ivy
trellis and then go to town with the air brush. He turned out to be about
four-feet tall and looked vaguely like Handsome Dan after shock therapy.

And with these presidential candidates, I mean, who knows. Texas Gov. George
W. Bush might get into office, and instead of investing most of NATO in the
stock market -- which I have read he wants to do -- he might sell the plains
states to Cuba in exchange for a decent pitcher for the Rangers. He might
even invade Canada or reverse Roe v. Wade or something outlandish and
impossible like that.

It's frustrating because it seemed like early on we had all these great
choices with enticing qualities, such as a nice smile and lots of friends in
our college or campaign-finance reform. But somehow, now that we really need
these guys, it turns out they're all "out of town," have a bad headache for
the rest of the week or wimped out of the contest altogether. They are
standing in the background of another guy's stage, clapping and trying to get
us to choose him. Our older pals tell us of the wonderful screws of the past,
in which their dates wrote the Declaration of Independence, freed the slaves
or at least had sexy nicknames like "Tippecanoe" or "Bull Moose."

Where are they now? The choices that remain are pretty depressing. And it's
tough not to feel like, hey, I'm not making this choice for myself. My
roommate is the one who's going to have to spend the night listening to his
bad puns and smelling his garlic breath. Similarly, it's tough to feel
sometimes like this presidential election will make much of a difference in
our own day to day lives. But trust me, it will. If we make a bad choice, we
doom ourselves to hours of sitting in the common room, our ears blistering
from complaints. It's just a matter of whether it's our roommate or Jim
Lehrer who's doing the yelling.

Next, consider our varying attitudes toward screws and elections. There are
those of us who believe, secretly, that screws present the chance to meet the
man or woman of our dreams. Likewise, some people think that electing the
right president could end up being the panacea for the world's problems.
Others see the screws and the election for what they probably are: One-night
(or four-year) stands, which will come and go the same as all the others and
make no significant difference in our lives. For just these reasons, some of
us want to protest the system by just going with a good friend or voting for
Nader. But in both cases, we're missing the point of the screws and the
election in the first place.

With all this stress involved, we might be tempted to forget the screw,
forget the vote and just hole up in our rooms and study or go out cavorting.
How selfish and ungrateful. There are millions of people in Third World
nations who suffer in the iron grip of fascist regimes and have never even
heard of a screw. What they would give for the chance to have freedom, choice
and blind dates. And here we are, thinking of throwing it all away for shame.

I admit, there are a few minor differences between finding screw dates and
deciding for whom you are going to vote for. For example, if my roommate told
me she was screwing me with a DKE guy who's in Skull & Bones and dabbles once
in a while in illicit narcotics, I'd be pretty excited. But I don't know if I
want this character sitting in a leather armchair at Camp David chatting with
Barak and Arafat.

The moral of the story is that we should appreciate the screw and the
election for what they are and take them with a sense of humor. In the end,
no matter who you choose to send to Washington or the Jonathan Edwards dining
hall, you're screwed.

Molly Worthen is a sophomore in Jonathan Edwards College.
=====
http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/Article.asp?type=live&AID=12503
Published Wednesday, September 13, 2000
Bush pleases the crowd at Yale

BY MICHAEL HORN
YDN Staff Reporter
YDN ARCHIVES
George W. Bush '68On the Yale intramural tackle football fields of the late
1960s, young men dripped with sweat. With no one watching, competition and
fun drove the young men to fight for the honor of their respective
residential colleges.

And on the Davenport intramural tackle football team, no one stuck out more
than the squad's middle linebacker -- George W. Bush '68.

Whether it was the linebacker's hard-hitting, fearless competitive drive or
the fact that he was the only player wearing Yale varsity football pants as
opposed to the traditional khaki football pants, Bush was a presence on
campus.

And it extended beyond the football field, as Bush was one of the more widely
known people on campus, classmates said.

And Bush, the current governor of Texas and the Republican party's nominee
for President, did not attain this high profile by participating in
established campus organizations of the day -- he had no role in either the
Yale Political Union or the Yale Daily News, for example. Rather he relied
upon sheer personality: an eagerness