The Committee for National Solidarity
Tolstojeva 34, Belgrade, YU

        First quiet night after 20 months

"Here, in Bogovadja, we slept peacefully through the night for the first time" – the strongest and the most beautiful experience

for 94 Serbian children from Obilic, Crkvena Vodica, Gracanica, Lipljan, Zvecan, Kosovska Mitrovica, Vucitrn, Leska, Srbica and Leposavic, who, after 20 months lived in fear of Albanian terror and negligence of international forces of KFOR, arrived to Belgrade Red Cross vacation home, for recovery.

With boys and girls, from 10 to 16 years of age, arrived their teachers and Red Cross activists Trajko Kostic from Gracanica, Marina Saranovic from Zvecan, Biljana Jokic from Leposavic and Zoran Vasic from Obilic. High school pupils, Tijana, Vidosav, Bojan, Djordje, Milan from Crkvena Vodica, who after recent bomb-attack of Shiptar terrorists to Bogovadja came with personal "mementos" – tens of grenade-pieces in their bodies.

With grenade-pieces in stomach and legs

Vidosav Djordjevic (16) reminds that two years ago KFOR didn’t want to provide escort to pupils from Crkvena Vodica to Plemetina (where elementary and high school are located) so they were forced to pass exams at the end of the school year only. This year however, KFOR is giving them a lift, in armored transporting vehicles.

"In Vodica about 350 Serbs live. We are surrounded by Shiptars, who come every day to our village, for shopping – and we are not allowed to go out of our houses or backyards. Now, for the first time in 20 months of prison, we are out" says Vidosav.

International humanitarian organization rarely come, Vidosav proceeds, underlining that to Serbian inhabitants of Vodica heating fuel (wood) is essential, for it is cold.

Djordje Dordjevic (15) and Bojan Jovic (16) one with a grenade-piece in his stomach and the other in his legs, claim that after Shiptar attack on the group of children playing in Vodica schoolyard, KFOR refuses to escort them even 100 meters from school to home.

"While our people (the army and police) were there, no Shiptar has been allowed to harm us. Now, there’s no life, unless something changes. But Kosovo will be ours again" Bojan says.

Tijana Jovic (14), who has been most severely wounded, is telling how, a short while back, she was taking a walk with a friend through Vodice, when Siptars came and said: " You’re still here?! Since we didn’t chase you away yet, from now on we’re aiming at the flesh!"

Couple of days latter, Tijana reminds, they have killed one Serb, in broad daylight. "UNMIK police, allegedly, strengthened the patrols in the village, but Shiptar policemen are among them" Tijana testifies.

Red Cross activist Zoran Vasic, who takes care of Vodica children, says that representatives of humanitarian organizations, mostly Italian or French, used to come to the village, but now even they are gone.

To all the pleas to protect them, KFOR response is always the same – Vasic claims – not enough soldiers! Some of the foreigners are trying to help, but consciously and discretely.

"If they’re discovered, or if there’s just a suspicion of warmer feelings towards Serbs, humanitarians end their mission literally over night and are immediately sent home" Vasic underlines.

According to him, the hardest thing is that Serbs have no fuel for winter, nor flour – for they can’t go to forest to cut wood, or to their mills to grind wheat and corn.

"Every once in a while we risk our necks, and go to Leposavic to get some wood for heating" Vasic says.

Vojkan Vukovic (16) from village Banje in Srbica county, says that in his village about 200 Serbs remain. They’re in Shiptar entourage, as well as inhabitants of Suvo Grlo two kilometers away.

"In Srbica and Vucitrn, since June 1999, there isn’t a Serb left, and we are guarded here in the village by French soldiers".

Driving without Kuchner’s plates

In Lipljan, there’s about 500 Serb houses, and are completely surrounded by Shiptars.

Slobodan Djoric (11) says that in Lipljan they live in constant fear, "because Shiptars are all around".

"They pass through the village in uniforms with KLA emblems, or drive fast cars with loud sound of Shiptar music from loudspeakers. They make faces at us, sneer and show us two fingers (victory)..." Slobodan explains.

Little Denis, whose mother is Albanian and father Serb, is nervously twisting is hands and says how they were forced to flee, from Pristina to Gracanica, because his mother was spitted upon on the street, and her cousins were not allowed to even speak with them.

" I can’t remember anymore even one name from Pristina. Out of my tree aunts, only one comes to visit us in Gracanica, the other two do not dare" Denis explains in a vow voice.

Teacher Trajko Kostic from Gracanica reminds how in that surrounding (Caglavica, Susica, Gusterica) about 15 000 Serbs live, and that this area is, as he said jokingly, Kosovo "heart of Sumadija".

"Everything functions – schools, banks, post office, marketplace, service of Ministry of Foreign affairs which issues Yugoslav passports, driving school which issues driving licenses of Republic of Serbia – but we will not have Kuchner’s driving plates, so we drive cars without so-called Kosovo plates" Kostic says.

UNMIC blackmails, to close up all Serbian schools if teachers do not sign contract offered to them, haven’t frightened education workers in Kosovo. They all refused UNMIK salaries and its school program, so the classes in all Serbian schools are proceeding normally, according to Ministry of education of Serbia program.

Vera Raskov Djurovic

Author is Tanjug journalist for 15 years, married, mother of two students. Specialized in humanitarian problems of Bosnia and Krajina refugees, questions of missing persons from the region of former Yugoslavia. As a reporter she has been in Kosovo in 1998/99 until the beginning of bombing and during 1999/2001 in Kosovska Mitrovica in north Kosovo region. In the course of her work, on January 13th 1999, she was almost abducted by Shiptar terrorists, visiting their main stronghold in Likovac, with OSCE mission chief William Walker, by whose intervention alone she avoided being taken and executed.

Mrs Jela Jovanovic, art historian
Secretary General