-Caveat Lector-

San Francisco may approve sex-change benefits

By MARGIE MASON, Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO (February 16, 2001 5:48 p.m. EST
http://www.nandotimes.com) - The city that symbolizes liberalism and
sexual openness is about to extend its health insurance coverage to
include sex-change operations for municipal employees.

The Board of Supervisors and Mayor Willie Brown are expected to sign the
measure within the next couple of weeks. It will extend up to $50,000 in
benefits to city workers who want to switch their gender.

San Francisco apparently would be the only governmental body in the
nation to make sex-change benefits available. The issue was discussed in
Oregon, but a commission decided against it in 1999.

"I'm very pleased that we're doing it," board President Tom Ammiano said
Friday. "We have a noticeable transgender population in San Francisco,
and many are city employees."

The benefits would be available starting July 1.

The benefit would cover male-to-female surgery, which costs about
$37,000, as well as female-to-male surgery, which runs about $77,000. It
also would cover hormones and other procedures.

Transgender advocates said the measure's symbolism is more valuable
than the benefits.

"I think it's really politically important to do that," said Susan Stryker,
executive director of the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Historical
Society of Northern California. "Transgender rights are often considered as
a joke: 'What are those wacky San Franciscans going to do next?"'

Stryker, who had male-to-female surgery 10 years ago, said San
Francisco's transgender community numbers about 15,000.

The term transgender covers a broad range of categories including cross-
dressers, transvestites, transsexuals and those born with characteristics of
both sexes.

Employees would have to work for the city at least one year before they
would be eligible. People wanting sex-change surgery would have to pay
15 percent out of pocket if they use a doctor in the city's health network. If
an out-of-network doctor is used, that goes up to 50 percent.

ANOMALOUS IMAGES AND UFO FILES
http://www.anomalous-images.com