-Caveat Lector-

> >From Thursday's Grand Rapids Press, page A-17, (front
page of second "A" section).
> Grand Rapids, Michigan.
>
> ANTI-TAX ADVOCATE MAY FACE CHARGES.
> The seller of Hundreds of "de-taxing programs" is being
investigated for tax crimes.
> By Ed White, The Grand Rapids Press.  (reprinted without
permission to the internet by Mack Wildstar, credit to the
Grand Rapids Press)

> "A former Kent Country man who once promoted his anti-tax
views on Area Billboards is under criminal investigation by
Federal authorities.

> Barrie Konicov and his wife, Susiz, traveled to Grand
Rapids from Arizona to appear before a federal grand jury
Wednesday.

> "They want to to indict me.  They want to put me in jail,"
Konicov, 62, said after testifying to the Grand Jury.  "They
will indict me for not filing returns.  They will indict me
for whatever they choose."

> The couple were ordered to bring documents, financial
statements, and canceled checks relating to three trusts.
After the grand-jury session, which is closed to the public,
Konicov had a spirited exchange with the Assistant U.S.
Attorney Donald Davis, who invited him to return Friday to
watch a Traverse City area tax dodger plead guilty.
> "A lot of your customers have recognized who's right and
who's wrong," Davis said.

> In an interview, Konicov, a libertarian candidate for
Congress in 1994, admitted he hasn't filed tax returns or
paid income taxes since the early 1990's.

> In the mid 1990's, he posted billboard ads on US 131 and
Int.96 offering a book about the tax system called "The
Great Snow Job"

> Konicov said he sold "de-taxing programs" to hundreds.
>
> The Konicovs said they left Michigan after armed federal
agents in 1996, seized financial records and computer
equipment from their Caledonia Township home.  A mandatory
income tax is illegal and akin to "slavery", he said.

> "In the language of the law, you are a natural person and
you have constitutionaly guaranteed rights," Konicov said.
"the definition of a taxpayer is any person made liable for
any internal revenue tax".  "Natural persons," he said,
"have been omitted from the definition of a person and
therefore are not defined as taxpayers."

> Federal prosecutors in Grand Rapids have successfully
convicted several tax evaders the past two years.

> "The argument that individuals are not subject to the
Internal Revenue code has been consistently and thorughly
rejected by every branch of the government for decades," U.S
District Judge Robert Holmes Bell said in 1999, quoting a
decision by a higher court.

> Konicov said he is concerned about possible criminal
charges but believes he can prevail.

> "Would you put your life on the line for somthing you
thought was wrong?" Konicov said.  "Everything I've said is
backed up by the written law, not the utterances of
prosecutors or people who have a vested interest in keeping
the public in the dark."