-Caveat Lector-

The Boston Globe
Superfly scores in Harlem
By Derrick Z. Jackson, Globe Columnist, 2/16/2001
N 1972, THE blaxploitation movie ''Superfly''
glorified a slick-haired drug dealer who claimed to
want to get out of the trade but held on for one last
score, imprisoned by the mantra, ''It's a rotten game,
but it's the only one The Man left us to play - and
that's the stone cold truth.''
For the week of Sept. 27, 1972, ''Superfly'' was the
top film in America. Black folks got fantasies of
wealth and wiping out Whitey for a day, but they also
got stereotypes of pushers and pimps that haunt us to
this day as sure as you can say ''racial profiling.''
One would think black folks would be tired of this
rotten game. We are not. Superfly is back. We still
have Bill Clinton.
Having made himself undesirable white trash for office
space in midtown Manhattan with his personal quirks
and political pardons, the former president fled
uptown. During his impeachment he found refuge in
black churches, and now, having again rolled craps
with white America, he selected 125th Street for his
post-presidency office. Clinton said, ''Harlem is the
perfect place for me to be. I'm close to the Apollo
Theatre, I'm close to soul food. I feel like I'm
home.''
Harlem responded in kind, with crowds chanting, ''We
Want Bill!'' Individual women screamed ''I love you!''
Sylvia Woods of Sylvia's soul-food restaurant told
reporters, Clinton's arrival ''has just as much impact
as the first time the astronauts took off.'' Percy
Sutton, the former Manhattan borough president and
Harlem business giant, said Clinton's presence would
so increase investment and real estate values in
Harlem that ''it would be the height of my dreams.''
To see how delusional this all gets, it helps to
remember that Sutton and Sylvia's also hosted a Harlem
welcome-home rally in 1995 for convicted rapist Mike
Tyson, who had just gotten out of prison. Six years
ago, Harlem was praising an ex-con. Today, Harlem
welcomes with open arms a man who feigns being our
brother, yet has sent more brothers to prison than any
president in the history of the United States.
Next week, the Justice Policy Institute will release a
study that shows that, despite all the legendary
cruelty of President Reagan, far more people went to
state and federal jails under Clinton than Reagan. In
Reagan's eight years, 478,800 prisoners were added to
America's jails. In Clinton's eight years, America's
prison population increased by 673,000.
Under Clinton, the prison population shot up from 1.4
million to more than 2 million. Fearing being seen as
soft on crime, Clinton did nothing to stop the racism
of the so-called drug war. Clinton never fought
seriously to eliminate the massive disparities in
sentencing between crack and powder cocaine even
though there was no medical evidence to support such
disparities.
Clinton did nothing to stop local police departments
from singling out nonviolent black users of drugs, who
are easier to snatch off street corners than off
half-acre suburban lots. Even though African-Americans
consume 13 percent of illegal drugs, roughly our share
of the population, we made 74 percent of drug
offenders sentenced sent to prison.
Under Clinton, the overall rate of African-Americans
going to prison continued to soar. In the Reagan-Bush
years, the rate grew from 1,156 prisoners per 100,000
black men to about 2,800 per 100,000. In the Clinton
years, the rate grew to 3,620 prisoners per every
100,000 black men.
By the time the Clinton years were done, he had become
such a sous chef in helping the Republicans cook the
black goose, 14 percent of African-American men had
lost the right to vote because of felony convictions.
You could even argue that by going along with the
recipes that Reagan and Bush set down, Clinton helped
cooked his own vice president to a crisp.
In Florida, where Al Gore lost by 537 votes, 31
percent of African-American men, 200,000 of them,
cannot vote because of felony convictions. For the
Florida Republican Party, that was not enough. They
hired a firm to purge the rolls even more, wrongly
slashing thousands of people who were guilty only of
misdemeanors.
Had Clinton, somewhere in his presidency, called for a
halt to the mass imprisoning of black people, Gore
might be president. Instead, Clinton convinced black
people he was The Man, the only game in town, a man to
be loved no matter how rotten and stone cold he was to
the ghetto's black men. By the cheers he received in
Harlem, Superfly is still making the big score.
Profiting from black votes while punishing black men,
Clinton now claims to be coming ''home.'' He preens,
expecting to be permanently pampered, instead of being
called what he always was on criminal justice: a pimp.