-Caveat Lector-

(from The Age (Melbourne) 21.2.01)

Port Arthur survivor criticises Hanson's conspiracy theory

Source: AAP|Published: Wednesday February 21, 11:55 AM

A survivor of the Port Arthur massacre today attacked One Nation for
suggesting the tragedy was a conspiracy aimed at promoting gun control.

One Nation leader Pauline Hanson said some Australians had doubts about
the 1996 shootings by Martin Bryant, which left 35 people dead in the
Tasmanian tourist town.

"I don't know, I wasn't there," Ms Hanson said.

"But a lot of Australians have asked this question and it's on a lot of
people's minds."

Ms Hanson's comments followed a One Nation newsletter which suggested
the murder spree was a conspiracy designed to allow the government to
crack down on gun ownership.

Gay Fidler, who played dead in the Broad Arrow Cafe while Bryant was
half a metre away, was angered by Ms Hanson's comments.

"I just can't have anything to do with this conspiracy, I really can't,"
Ms Fidler told radio 3AW.

"I suspect Pauline may have something in common with Martin Bryant and
that is he has the IQ of an 11-year-old. I think she might be going down
the same road somehow."

She said anyone who saw the news on the day, the trial or the aftermath
could not suggest such a conspiracy.

"To even be able to ask that question ... I just can't understand
anybody who could. It affected so many lives," Ms Fidler said.

"Here it is five years later and it's still being brought up
politically, sadly, and here we are listening to all this again.

"Hopefully this will go against her and wake up a few people who want to
follow her. Surely, they can't after this."

Yesterday, Queensland Senator Ron Boswell cited One Nation's tacit
support to the conspiracy theories as just one reason why he could not
give the party preferences over Labor.