-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

0252. Mentoring goes virtual with eVector

by Senior Airman Matthew Miller
Air Force Personnel Center News Service

RANDOLPH AIR FORCE BASE, Texas (AFPN) -- Commanders and supervisors now have
a quick and easy way to track their officers through Air Force Personnel
Centers newest online mentoring tool -- eVector.

Much more than the typical "single uniform retrieval format" document
currently available on each officer, eVector provides valuable information
on other topics such as military pay and per diem, service dates, promotion
eligibility, decorations, joint and rated information.  eVector also
contains career progression guidance, education and training information,
assignment preferences and duty history, all in one convenient format.

"Our culture requires mentorship at many levels, but particularly at the
commander level," said Lt. Gen. Donald Peterson, Air Force Personnel deputy
chief of staff.  "As an example, our Air Force assignment system mandates
commander involvement and mentoring.  Since we require our folks to mentor
their people, we needed to provide a user-friendly mentoring tool for them
to use. The answer was eVector.  Mentoring is important to our Air Force. It
not only positively impacts retention, it also allows for more effective use
of our resources."

"eVector pulls everything together in one place," said Lt. Col. Mike Gamble,
AF Personnel assignment programs and procedures division chief.  "It
includes information specific to the individual and links to programs and
resources a mentor might want to refer to when counseling."

More than 30 links to other career-related Web sites, such as tuition
assistance programs, relocation information, Air Force Aid and GI Bill
sites, are available with eVector.

A mentor can then use this data to give accurate advice tuned to the
individual's needs and circumstances, Gamble said.

"We wanted to capitalize on the information already available in the
assignment management system and the AFPC home page, and consolidate links
to other important career-related web sites," Gamble said.  With eVector,
individuals can now access a myriad of information on themselves, and they
can also easily grant permission to others whom they consider "mentors," all
in one convenient location.

Permission will automatically be given to the officer's preference worksheet
reviewer, most often the unit commander.  Other access must originate from
the member.

"With this feature, individuals control who has access to their
information," Gamble said.  "They can also designate several mentors,
including those outside their chain of command.  We realize that your
'mentor' may be someone at another base. eVector facilitates that
relationship.  Of course, we encourage all officers to grant access to their
current supervisor, as well as the person who has the most influence on
their career.  Current capabilities do not allow AFPC to automatically grant
access to supervisors.  However, we expect to include this function in
future enhancements."

"A similar version of eVector is currently under development for our
enlisted members," said 1st Lt. Joe Golembiewski, AF Personnel assignment
systems program development officer in charge. It will provide basically the
same information to their mentors, plus information unique to enlisted
members.

In the meantime, there is an enlisted page that offers links to several
enlisted career-related Web sites.

Individuals can access eVector through the assignment management system, a
secure network connection on the AFPC home page at
<http://afas.afpc.randolph.af.mil/afas/afas-main1.htm>.(Courtesy of AFPC
News Service)

0254. AF survey reveals upward trend in quality-of-life issues

WASHINGTON (AFPN) -- Findings from an Air Force survey conducted last summer
indicate pay and compensation initiatives passed by Congress are yielding
positive results among airmen.

In July, the service distributed a survey via e-mail to a random sample of
Air Force members.  More than 14,500 people responded during the 12-day
period.  The sample was selected to be representative of company grade and
field grade officers, and first-term, second-term and career airmen.

The survey also included a representative sample of commanders and first
sergeants, who, because of their proximity to the troops, were asked to
identify the number one quality-of-life issue in their respective units, and
to offer their perception of the impact of the pay and compensation
initiatives on retention, survey officials said.

"The primary goal of the survey was to look at whether or not the
initiatives from the fiscal 2000 National Defense Authorization Act had
turned things around," said Charles Hamilton, chief of the Air Force
Personnel Center Survey Branch, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas.

The survey's conclusions are located on the AFPC home page at
www.afpc.randolph.af.mil/surveys.

The survey included such issues as career intentions, compensation and
benefits, retirements, health care, tempo, housing and general well-being.

On the retention front, data indicated an upward swing across the board in
career intent, particularly with second-term airmen -- 49 percent said they
would stay for 20 years of service.  The percentage of field grade officers
who planned to stay until retirement also increased.

In the area of housing, a member's satisfaction depended upon where he or
she lived.  Generally, respondents living off base stated they were more
satisfied with their housing than those living on base.  Airmen living in
dormitories were the least satisfied.

Response to questions on basic allowance for housing compensation was mixed,
with officers stating they were more satisfied with their allowance than
enlisted members.  Overall, though, only about one-quarter of the
respondents said BAH adequately covered housing costs.

Another priority, educational opportunities, yielded positive responses in
the survey, particularly for enlisted members.  Web-based education, while
service members are deployed, received high ratings by officers and enlisted
members.

Additionally, respondents were asked questions about the aerospace
expeditionary force and tempo.  About 50 percent of those assigned to an AEF
unit agree that AEF provides predictability, and slightly less than half
said it improved their ability to plan.

Regarding tempo, the 2000 data saw nearly no change in reported work hours.
Officers reported working between 52 and 57 hours a week; enlisted reported
working between 45 and 51 hours a week.

Health care offered somewhat mixed reviews.  Although most respondents
indicated they were generally satisfied with their current health care, they
reported being less satisfied with their families' access to health care.

On the retirement system side, the survey revealed congressional changes to
the military retirement system are favorably impacting service members'
attitudes.  Ratings were up, notably among company grade officer and
second-term enlisted respondents, who gave a 59 percent and 46 percent
approval rating, respectively.

"The data indicate that the October 1999 pay raise and retirement system
changes are going to have a positive impact," Hamilton said.

0255. AEF conference goal to improve deployments

by Lt. Col. Bryan A. Holt
Aerospace Expeditionary Force Center Public Affairs

LANGLEY AIR FORCE BASE, Va. (AFPN) -- Making sure deploying airmen get the
information they need, passing on "lessons learned," and overcoming the
difficulties found at specific locations were among the topics discussed at
the planning conference for the next round of Aerospace Expeditionary Force
deployments.

The Air Force AEF Center here hosted the AEF 5-6 planning conference
recently.  Nearly 250 people from throughout the Air Force attended.  For
the first time, attendees included Air Force representatives from operations
currently supported by AEF deployments such as Southern Watch, Northern
Watch, Iceland and counterdrug operations.

The 355th Wing at Davis Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz., will serve as lead
wing for AEF 5, which is headed for Northern Watch and Iceland and also will
participate in counterdrug operations.  The 20th Fighter Wing at Shaw AFB,
S.C., will serve as the lead wing for AEF 6 at Southern Watch.

According to conference officials, one of the key concerns addressed was the
continuing need for units to identify their inability to fill a deployment
position as soon as possible.

Following extensive discussions, participants divided into smaller working
group sessions based upon functional areas including senior leadership,
operations, maintenance, logistics, and support.

Attendees were given a live, hands-on demonstration of the newly unveiled
"EAF Online" Web site and the online "AEF Commanders' Playbook." Airmen can
access EAF Online before deploying to obtain information about their
deployed jobs and missions. The playbook serves as a one-stop deployment
information shop for airmen.

Participants left the conference with a greater understanding of AEFs and
overall Air Force operations, conference officials said.

For more information on the conference or AEFs in general, visit the
military restricted Web site at https://aefcenter.acc.af.mil, available only
from dot-mil and dot-gov computers. (Courtesy of Air Combat Command News
Service)

0253.  America's Air Force flies down under for Australian International
Airshow

by Master Sgt. Darla J. Ernst
Pacific Air Forces Public Affairs

VICTORIA, Australia (AFPN) -- America's Air Force has gone "down under" to
show the capabilities and professionalism of the U.S. Air Force at the
Australian International Airshow 2001 at the Avalon Airport in Victoria.

Approximately 100 Air Force pilots, aircrew members and maintainers
participated in the show, which boasted more than 700 static displays and
welcomed more than 200,000 people during the public days Feb. 16-18.

U.S. Air Force aircraft on display included a B-1B Lancer from McConnell Air
Force Base, Kan.; a KC-135 Stratotanker from Kadena Air Base, Japan; and two
Kadena F-15 Eagles that were flown by the Air Combat Command West Coast F-15
Demonstration Team.

Also included were two F-16 Fighting Falcons from Misawa AB, Japan, flown by
the Pacific Air Forces F-16 Demonstration Team; a B-52 Stratofortress from
Barksdale AFB, La.; and a C-17 Globemaster III from Charleston AFB, S.C.

Participation in the airshow demonstrated the United States' commitment to
the Pacific Region and allowed an opportunity for Pacific forces to work
together, said Maj. Brad Bingaman, assistant air attaché for Australia.

In addition to performing each day at the week-long airshow, aircrews were
involved in community events, visiting schools and hosting youth and adult
community groups at their aircraft.

 Capt. Robby Hanovich, a C-17 pilot from Charleston AFB, spent a day with
school children at Kardina International College, talking about the Air
Force and the C-17 he flies.

The B-1B's first appearance at the Australian International Airshow
attracted much media and public attention.  Lt. Col. Brad Link, B-1B pilot
from the Kansas Air National Guard, was featured on a morning radio show, on
local television news and in the local newspaper.

"The aircraft attracts a lot of attention and I love telling people about
it," he said. "This is the fifth biennial Australian airshow.  The U.S.
military has participated in all four previous shows. (Courtesy of PACAF
News Service)

0256 Air Force psychologist receives presidential citation

by Senior Airman Jason Smith
437 Airlift Wing Public Affairs

CHARLESTON AFB, S.C. (AFPN) -- The president of the American Psychological
Association recently awarded Lt. Col. Frank Budd, 437th Medical Group
Behavioral Sciences Flight commander, a presidential citation.

Budd is the first Air Force psychologist the APA has honored with this award
for individual achievement. The civilian psychology consultant for the Air
Force surgeon general nominated Budd for the award.

The citation was based on Budd's "contributions to psychology through
prevention and community education, and his recent award for 'Outstanding
Contributions to Air Force Clinical Psychology.'"

"Most of my work for the citation was in suicide awareness and a commitment
to training the community on mental health issues," Budd said.  "...I feel
very honored, but I have worked with many outstanding people over the years
whose dedication to prevention made this award possible."

The clinic here has an extensive suicide awareness program recognized by
Headquarters Air Mobility Command and the Air Force Surgeon General's
Office, Budd said.

Some of the things developed here include a suicide awareness video, slide
presentations, intranet-based training, a comprehensive handbook, civilian
and reservist training, commanders' call briefings and health fairs.

Other projects have reached outside Charleston AFB, including incorporating
his materials into the AMC Squadron Commanders Course and a handbook used at
the First Sergeants Academy.

Recently, Budd returned from serving on a unique, multi-disciplinary team,
sponsored by the Air Force Surgeon General's Office, to revitalize the Air
Force suicide awareness program.

His office also provides marriage counseling, Budd said.

In 2000, he and his team recaptured $60,000 for the clinic that would have
been used for off-base TRICARE counseling.

"We saw about 100 couples in 2000, and that number will probably go up in
2001," he said.  "The greatest cause of depression and suicide attempts is
problems in relationships."

Programs and training have also been provided to members of the Charleston
AFB primary care team.

"We've worked a lot with health care providers to make them more aware of
signs of depression and anxiety to increase accurate diagnosis and
treatment," Budd said.  "Mental health is as important as physical health.

Decades of research have shown up to 40-60 percent of people who see a
doctor for a physical problem actually have the problem because of mental or
emotional stress.

"It's easier to go to a doctor and say 'I have a headache,' than it is to go
to a psychologist and say 'I feel emotionally wiped out because my husband
is having an affair,'" Budd said.  "We are developing a whole new generation
of leaders who understand an appointment at mental health will not ruin a
career."

"Here at Team Charleston every commander and helping agency is united in a
total team effort to get maximum performance both personally and
professionally from our most precious asset, our people," he said.  "This
means giving them the resources to be effective, not just the mandates to be
so." (Courtesy of AMC News Service)

0257. Air Force firefighters train with Native American fireman

by Staff Sgt. J. Elaine Phillinganes
355th Wing Public Affairs

DAVIS-MONTHAN AIR FORCE BASE, Ariz. (AFPN) -- Firefighters here got together
with their Native American counterparts at the T'ohono O'odham Nation to
share a training program that prepares them for aircraft accidents on or
near Nation lands.

"It allowed our personnel to interact with other 'first responders' and
share some knowledge and insight on responding to downed aircraft," said
Randy Schryer, a firefighter with the 355th Civil Engineer Squadron.

Topics included helping aircrews get out of an aircraft quickly and the
potentially hazardous materials that can be found at crash sites. It's the
same training usually given to civilian emergency units near Air Force
bases, Schryer said.

The training covered the A-10 Thunderbolt and the F-16 Fighting Falcon, two
aircraft that frequent local airspace. The Nation sent people from its fire,
police, hazardous-material and environmental departments.

The base firefighters were pleased with the training; it featured "good
interaction during the classroom instruction and hands-on demonstration,
which prompted several questions and interesting dialog between D-M's
firefighters and the Nation's first responders," Schryer said.

"I thought it was really informative," said Mike Rivas, T'ohono O'odham
Police Department ranger supervisor. "It helped me see the dangers of
(approaching) a crash (site) and I found it worth my time and the Nation's
to send