-Caveat Lector-

Education on PTSD and Domestic Violence
Our Mission:

Our vision is to present educational workshops that present to the national
community a heightened awareness about Domestic Violence and promote a better
understanding of the lingering affects of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder that
is associated with abuse.
Our vision is to impart valuable informational training about strategies and
interventions pertaining to children caught in the cycle of family violence
and how their involvement impacts the work environment, education, medical
services, legal services, and social services.

 Overview
  Violence against women is an urgent criminal and public health problem with
devastating consequences for women, children, and families.

The need for Domestic Violence education has never been greater.

2-4 million women are physically battered each year by their partners.
It is estimated that 21-30% of all women in the United States have been
beaten by a partner at least once.
Historically, however, educational formats on Domestic Violence have not
given the needed emphasis on Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. This disorder is
often a lingering after effect associated with abuse.

Every day in America, 72 million women (age range: 18-36) are affected, in
varying degrees, by PSTD.
Some of the symptoms of PTSD include: recurrent nightmares or flashbacks, a
feeling of emotional numbness, and a state of nervous arousal that leaves
victims feeling constantly jumpy and irritable, unable to relax or feel
completely safe.

Additionally, the adverse effects to children involved in this tragic issue
have not been in the forefront.

Over 180 million children (age range: birth-18) are subjected to Domestic
Violence and have mothers with the debilitating disorder of PTSD. Many of
these children have PTSD.
These problems cost us dearly in economic and human terms. We are dedicated
to educating the public about these these issues and present timely
presentations for today.

Letter from Nancy Kilgore:
  Our country is at risk. Domestic violence threatens our nation, our
children, and those that are yet to be born. Our present plight did not
appear over night, and the responsibility for our current situation is
widespread. Abuse has more long-term effects than any other crime.

The cycle of domestic violence can be broken. Together, we can play a
critical and important role as our society opens the doors to violence within
so many American families. We must also have a willingness to understand the
long term effects of Post-Traumatic Stress and it's impact on women as well
as children. It is to each of us that the imperative is addressed. Active
steps must be taken now. There is no turning back. It is time to have
unwavering commitment to get prepared for what lies ahead. We must put actual
learning behind our good intentions and focus on solutions.

It lies within our reach to dramatically yank domestic violence and
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder out of their dark unspeakable shadows. Glance
over the exciting workshops that have been developed and researched to
achieve this goal.

With warmest wishes for the unlimited possibilities that lie ahead for our
country…

Nancy Kilgore, M.S.
Director

 Workshops offered by Education on PTSD and Domestic Violence
     The need for education on abuse and PTSD has never been greater. This
year millions of battered women, as well as their children, will come to the
largest frontlines where they are most visible: the workplace, counseling
sessions, churches, halfway houses, social services, medical settings,
schools, treatment centers, and prisons.

Our commitment leads us to join in partnership with you to provide valuable
education. The following interactive workshops are the cornerstone of our
efforts, and keys to winning the fight against abuse and the understanding of
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Each presentation is researched to be
comprehensive, informative and an interesting educational tool for targeted
participants.

A crucial part of our focus is filling the information gap that currently
exists and tailoring presentations to:

Social workers, counselors, ministers, work supervisors, managers, educators,
alcohol and drug treatment centers, domestic violence training, halfway
houses, women in prison, and paroled women.

Abused Women with PTSD
Millions of women have it...

 The Surgeon General relates that the number one cause of injury to women in
the U.S. is Domestic Violence.

Additionally, the Surgeon General's office reports that the leading cause of
death among women is Domestic Violence.

Abuse has more long-term effects than any other crime. Many battered women
have lingering psychological injury that can last for years.

Symptoms of PTSD include: recurrent nightmares or flashbacks, a feeling of
emotional numbness, and a state of nervous arousal that leaves victims
feeling constantly jumpy and irritable, unable to relax or feel completely
safe.

84% of battered women were found to be suffering from PTSD (Post Traumatic
Stress Syndrome).

Between 22%-35% of women who visit emergency departments in the U.S., are
there for symptoms related to ongoing abuse. ("Domestic Violence Intervention
Call For More Than Treating Injuries", Journal of American Medical
Association, 1990)
Families in which Domestic Violence occurs, use doctors 8 times more often,
visit the emergency room 6 times more often and use 6 times more prescription
drugs than the general population ("Domestic Violence A Community Crisis
Waiting For A Effective Response", Seattle Domestic Violence Intervention
Project, 1989)
Women who have PTSD are often misdiagnosed for alcoholism, depression, drug
addiction,and mental illness.

Physicians and therapists are only now learning how to treat women who are
mentally or emotionally scarred by PTSD.

Abused Women With PTSD is designed specifically for:
counselors, social workers, ministers welfare workers, nurses, EAP's and
staff training for battered women shelters.

 Winning Contents (of Workshop):

An Overview of Female Victimization
Understanding Trauma/PTSD
Recognition of PTSD
PTSD and How It Affects Families & Children
Drug and Alcohol Concerns
Effective Communication Tactics
Strategies For Women With PTSD
Helpful Resources to Refer
Future Issues For Our Nation

Children Caught in Domestic Violence:
A Risk Factor for Dysfunction and Aggression
Children hold the hope for our nation's future. Many of them are children
caught in Domestic Violence.

 Two to four million women are physically battered each year by their
partners. Children are the real victims in this situation. Yearly, it is
estimated that 10 million children in the United states are at risk of
witnessing Domestic Violence. Childhood victims grow up so emotionally
impaired that they become abusers or get abused. In 53% of the cases where
the male was abusing the women, the children were abused as well.

When children witness Domestic Violence, they can:

Suffer with depression, chronic anxiety, and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
Become juvenile delinquents, "street kids," or adult criminals
Participate in drugs and or alcohol
Have more aggression, temperamental problems, lowered self-esteem, and lower
verbal/cognitive/motor abilities than children who do not witness Domestic
Violence.
Boys who witness Domestic Violence as children, are more likely to batter
their female partners as adults than boys raised in nonviolent homes.

We can break this cycle.

Children Caught in Domestic Violence: A Risk Factor for Dysfunction and
Aggression has been specifically researched and designed to provide training
sessions that:

Improve identification of children caught in the cycle
Teach valuable communication skills for intervention
Are informative and interesting
Provide the most relevant, up-to-date researched information on the
psychological trauma of young children caught in Domestic Violence
Formats can be adapted for nurses, educators, social workers, ministers,
therapist, and organizations

Winning Contents:

National Trends/Why Domestic Violence Will Increase
Family Dynamics in the Abusive Cycle
Childhood Trauma and the Formation of Maladaptive Mental Patterns
Assessment Tactics
Intervention Strategies
Future Directions for Communities and Research

  Practical… inspiring… effective… heartfelt… are some of the adjectives to
describe her.
Nancy Kilgore, M.S., has spent the last 20 years as a writer, consultant, and
speaker on PTSD and Domestic Violence. Nancy is a survivor of Domestic
Violence and has personally experienced PTSD. She is the author of Every
Eighteen Seconds and The Sourcebook for Working with Battered Women. Both
books have been published by Volcano Press.

Nancy Kilgore received her master's degree from the University of Oregon,
B.A., and teaching credentials from Sacramento State University. Nancy is a
committed and dynamic speaker with enthusiasm and a complete dedication to a
disturbing national dilemma-Domestic Violence. She received the T.A.P.
training award from Soroptimist International. Nancy has appeared on radio
and television and is endorsed by unions, hospitals, churches, nurses, and
organizations.

  Endorsed by:

Northwestern Region, Soroptimist International
Oregon American Federation of State and County Employees
The Oregon Association of Young Children
Lane County Labor Council, AFL-CIO
American Red Cross- Sacramento Chapter
Southern Willamette Private Industry Council
Human Resources & Management Services- Lane County, OR
California Nurses Association
Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs
United Methodist Church- Southern District
Oregon Roseville Community Hospital