          Interview: English spokesperson for Mufti of Jerusalem - Jews cannot
          touch the Western Wall
    Date:
          Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:49:47 -0500
   From:
          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      To:
          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Interview: English spokesperson for Mufti of Jerusalem - Jews cannot touch
the Western Wall

Aaron Lerner                  Date:  21 February 2001

IMRA interviewed Mai, the English spokesperson for the PA appointed Mufti of
Jerusalem, Sheikh Ekrima Sabri and head of his translation department, in
English, on 21 February.

IMRA: I understand that the Mufti recently issued a religious decision
relating to the Jews and the Western Wall that prohibits them from repairing
or even touching it.  Is it accurate to say that Jews are prohibited from
touching the Western Wall in Jerusalem?

Mai: The fatwah came out to show that that wall is the Al Burak Wall and is
part of the walls of the Al Aqsa mosque. I have not translated it but if I
do I will fax it to you.

IMRA: If it has the status of being part of Al Aqsa mosque is there a
religious problem with Jews touching the walls of the mosque?

Mai:  Sure.  We have talked about that several times.  The problem here is
both religious and political.

As I said, the Wall is part of the Al Burak Wall which is part of the Al
Aqsa mosque so the Jews have no right to the place.

IMRA:  I see a lot of photographs of Jews putting messages in between the
cracks in the Wall.  Is there a problem with this?

Mai:  Sure.  The whole problem is that the place does not relate to them so
whatever they do with it - putting in papers, practicing their prayers, all
these things are not things that we want.

IMRA:  They cannot be done.

Mai:  Exactly.  It could not be done because the place is not theirs.
Because they took the place out of our hands by force they do a lot of
things that we do not like plus we do not like that they take our rights
from the place.

No other religion has the right to interfere with our mosque just as no
other religion has the right to interfere with the Church of the Holy
Sepulchre.

IMRA:  So as far as Islam is concerned the Jews should not be putting notes
in the Wall, they should not be touching the Wall, they should not be doing
anything with that wall.

Mai:  Exactly.  And we believe that this is our religious property and we
will take it back from them one day.

Dr. Aaron Lerner, Director
IMRA (Independent Media Review & Analysis)