Forum: http://www.newsday.com/forums/forums.htm
Author: Deborah Small
Note: Deborah Small is director of public policy and community
outreach at the Lindesmith Center-Drug Policy Foundation, a non-profit
organization based in Manhattan

CITY POWER

Tell D.A.s to Uncuff Drug-Law Reform

FROM Gov. George Pataki and Chief Judge Judith Kaye to the New
York State Catholic Conference, there is near unanimity on the need to
reform the state's draconian drug-sentencing laws. But there's one
influential group of New Yorkers who oppose meaningful change: the
county prosecutors.

The state District Attorneys Association has launched an aggressive
campaign to prevent any reform of the Rockefeller Drug Laws.  Every
year they bring out the same old arguments: These people are not
nonviolent.  If you change the laws, crime will rise.  We'll lose the best
tool we have for fighting drug trafficking.  Judges can't be trusted to
protect public safety. Hey, our conviction rates are high, why would you
want to mess that up?

It's time to debunk these arguments on their merits and expose the
district attorneys' position for what it truly is-a strategy of using the
public's fear of violent crime to keep sentencing control in their own
hands.

Statistics compiled by the state about our prison population belie the
prosecutors' assertion that the majority of drug offenders are violent
people who need to be incarcerated to protect the public.  Moreover,
after 28 years of harsh mandatory drug sentencing, resulting in the
incarceration of almost 100,000 drug offenders in state prison during the
last decade, drugs are still readily available on the streets of New York
and the number of drug users shows little sign of diminishing.
Under the current scheme, prosecutors set sentences by deciding
charges and accepting plea bargains.  Unlike sentences set by judges,
however, prosecutors' decisions are unreviewable, and the criminal-
justice system lacks mechanisms to hold prosecutors accountable for
their choices.  In a regime of harsh mandatory sentences, prosecutors
have even greater leverage in plea bargaining than in most criminal
cases.  Defendants have little choice but to give up their right to trial and
to plead guilty.

According to Robert M.  Carney, president of the New York State
District Attorneys Association, his group simply wants to have a say in
what happens to the people they prosecute.  They are concerned, he
said, about losing " prosecutorial discretion on deciding who ought to go
to prison and who ought not."

Queens District Attorney Richard Brown opposed the Rockefeller drug
laws when first enacted.  "But as I look back," he said recently, "I
wonder where we'd be today if we didn't have the Rockefeller drug laws."
He added that "the horror stories" -people serving long prison sentences
for minor, first-time drug possession or dealing charges -"are now few
and far between." Tell that to the elderly mother of former Marine Miguel
Arenas, prosecuted by the Queens district attorney's office and
sentenced to 15 years to life as a first-time drug offender.  Or the 76-
year-old mother of Veronica Flournoy, a crack-addict and mother of
three, who after numerous run-ins with the law for drug-related offenses
was sentenced to 8 years to life as a repeat offender for selling a small
quantity of drugs.  So Veronica's mother joins the legions of
grandparents compelled to care for their grandchildren while their
children are in prison.  And the list goes on.

A pernicious consequence of district attorneys' insistence on retaining
prosecutorial discretion in drug cases is unequal enforcement of the
laws.  Studies and experience have shown that the majority of people
who use and sell drugs in the state and the nation are white.

Nonetheless, African-Americans and Hispanics comprise more than 94
percent of the drug offenders in New York prisons.  Nowhere do the
state prosecutors offer any explanation for this dramatic racial
disparity.  Even if the prosecutors could demonstrate that aggressive
drug-law enforcement reduced crime ( an issue which is the subject of
much debate ), one would still have to seriously question whether any
appropriate use of prosecutorial discretion could justify the gross
inequality in incarceration rates between white drug offenders and drug
offenders of color.  One has to assume racial bias.

Many people in the communities from where the majority of incarcerated
drug offenders come want drug dealers off their streets.  At the same
time, these residents do not support the long imprisonment of their
nonviolent drug-offending neighbors.  As elected officials, prosecutors
are clearly ignoring the will of the people they purport to represent,
particularly those most affected by drug-law enforcement.

Finally, after years of avoiding the issue, it seems like the Legislature
and governor are poised to agree on a reform package.  The district
attorneys have placed themselves in the unenviable role of modern day
Bull Connors, determined to preserve what has become a Jim Crow
system of justice for drug offenders in New York.
MAP posted-by: Beth

--

Best Wishes

I am convinced that we can do to guns what we've done to drugs: create
a multi-billion dollar underground market over which we have
absolutely no control. ~~George L. Roman