-Caveat Lector-

The Hanssen-Ames Connection Uncovered – A DEBKAfile Exclusive
The American FBI veteran Robert Philip Hanssen, 56, charged Tuesday,
Feb. 20 with spying for Moscow, and the convicted CIA super-mole
Aldrich Ames have a great deal in common that the FBI director Louis
Freeh did not reveal. As DEBKAfile’s intelligence sources disclose here
for the first time, both were recruited to the KGB’s First Chief
Directorate (foreign) by the same pair of legendary British super-spies,
Kim Philby, who defected to Moscow in 1961, and George Blake who
lives in Moscow to this day.

Ames, convicted in 1994 to a life sentence without parole, was a senior
counterintelligence officer in the CIA; Hanssen filled a similar function in
the FBI. Both climbed high in their services, got away with betraying
secrets and double spies for decades before they were caught. For
President George W. Bush, who approved bringing the Hanssen
investigation to conclusion and publishing its findings, it is important to
uncover the links above and below the two men in the hidden chain of
double agents and moles that still infests America’s defense system,
and finally bring light to the murky events that lent the Reagan-Bush
presidential era the epithet of Decade of the Spy.

Read the full DEBKAfile Exclusive and much more in our new
publication, DEBKA-Net-Weekly coming out Friday, 23 Feb. Just send
us your e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and we shall be glad to post it
direct.

--

Best Wishes

Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of
society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't
test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance,
greed and love of power. -P.J. O'Rourke