-Caveat Lector-

Tools of the Trade: Affidavit Is a Handbook for Spying

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A48759-2001Feb23.html?GXHC_gx_session_id_FutureTenseContentServer=f458861cb5e677a8&referer=email>

By Vernon Loeb
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, February 24, 2001; Page C01

He never met his KGB handlers and never told them who he was, the FBI says.
But accused super-spy Robert P. Hanssen left them little doubt from the
beginning 15 years ago: They were dealing with a pro.
A massive government affidavit filed this week after Hanssen's arrest reads
like a how-to-spy manual for anyone interested in passing highly classified
government information to foreign spies without ever meeting them face to face.
The document is based largely on the actual letters Hanssen allegedly sent
his handlers, letters contained in a dossier that was somehow obtained by
U.S. intelligence late last year. They leave little to chance, providing
explicit instructions, and a rare glimpse of a major spy case as it unfolds.
It's all there: how to set up "dead drops" and signal sites. How to signal
your handlers and get signals in return. How to throw off counterspies
using code and code names.
What follows is based on allegations in the affidavit, which must
ultimately be proved in court. Hanssen is expected to plead not guilty at
his arraignment, which hasn't been scheduled.
Hanssen's tradecraft was so meticulous, the affidavit says, that he even
provided his KGB handlers a map reference"ADC Northern Virginia Street Map,
#14, D3" for the location of the first dead drop he wanted to use to pass
classified files: a specific corner of a wooden footbridge just west of the
entrance to Nottoway Park in Fairfax County.
The KGB, in return, called the site by a code word, PARK. As it turns out,
PARK was less than a five-minute walk from Hanssen's home at the time on
Whitecedar Court in Vienna.
A dead drop is designed to defeat the lifeblood of any counterintelligence
program: surveillance. Since many foreign spies are watched almost
constantly, the easiest way to stay off the FBI's counterintelligence radar
is to avoid face-to-face meetings. A dead drop helps solve the problem: A
spy leaves documents in an obscure place, and his handler picks them up later.
Often, for a drop to be arranged, spies use what is known in parlance as an
"accommodation address"an address, unlike a foreign embassy, where mail is
not monitored.
So it is that Hanssen's alleged career as a super-spy began in 1985 with a
simple letter to one such accommodation address, the Alexandria home of
Viktor M. Degtyar. From his perch inside the FBI, the veteran counterspy
knew both that Degtyar was a KGB officer, and that no one was monitoring
his mail.
In his first letter, Hanssen promised valuable documents as a means of
introduction. In his second, he delivered the goods, and provided further
instructions. Along with the specific map reference for the dead drop, he
told his handlers to wrap his cash payments in a "green or brown plastic
trash bag" and then use actual trash to cover the waterproof package. He
designated a "signal site" to activate the dead drop: "The pictorial
'pedestrian-crossing' signpost just west of the main park entrance on Old
Courthouse Road. (The sign is the one nearest the bridge just mentioned.)"
When Hanssen was ready to pick up his first cash payment of $50,000, he
explained, he would leave a vertical mark on the pedestrian crossing sign
with a piece of white adhesive tape, according to the affidavit.
His handlers, he wrote, should then leave a horizontal mark on the sign to
indicate that the drop had been filled. And he, in return, would leave
another vertical mark showing that he had picked up their package.
Finally, he provided a mechanism for masking the actual dates on which
drops would take place: "I will add 6, (you subtract 6) from stated months,
days and times in both directions of our future communications."
So began a close relationship, the affidavit says, in which Hanssen
received cash and bank deposits worth $1.4 million plus three very large
diamonds, and the KGB received the names of numerous Soviet agents working
for America and hundreds and hundreds of pages of highly classified
intelligence.
At one point early on in this covert marriage of convenience,
communications were broken after the KGB screwed up and left cash for
Hanssen under the wrong corner of the dead drop bridge, spooking Hanssen.
Tradecraft told him to pull back, watch and wait.
But he re-established contact several months later in June 1986, when he
sent a letter to Degtyar's home: "I apologize for the delay since our break
in communications. I wanted to determine if there was any cause for concern
over security."
Since he still didn't know why the KGB hadn't left the package as
instructed, he gave the Soviets a very elaborate test straight out of le Carre:
"If you wish to continue our discussions, please have someone run an
advertisement in the Washington Times during the week of 1/12/87 or
1/19/87, for sale, 'Dodge Diplomat, 1971, needs engine work, $1,000.' Give
a phone number and time-of-day in the advertisement where I can call. I
will call and leave a phone number where a recorded message can be left for
me in one hour. I will say, 'Hello, my name is Ramon. I am calling about
the car you offered for sale in the Times.' You will respond, 'I'm sorry,
but the man with the car is not here, can I get your number.' The number
will be in Area Code 212.  I will not specify that Area Code on the line."
It worked. At the appointed hour, a KGB officer called the number and
explained the mistake. Soon the KGB proposed two additional dead drop sites
and a new accommodation address with the code name NANCY. The relationship
was sound. They were back in business.
Hanssen waited more than a year before sending a letter to NANCY.
Tradecraft dictates caution. In the letter, he rejected a KGB suggestion
that he meet his handlers abroad. More caution. "No," he wrote in September
1987, "I have decided. It must be on my original terms or not at all."
There were other glitches along the way: When the KGB soon suggested
another dead drop site, with the code name AN, in Ellanor C. Lawrence Park
in western Fairfax County, Hanssen complained he could not find the site at
night. "I am dressed in business suit and can not slog around in inch deep
mud."
He suggested going back to PARK, which by 1988 the KGB had renamed PRIME.
As the relationship matured, Hanssen and his handlers designated numerous
other accommodation addresses, signal sites and dead drops, which the KGB
coded using mostly women's names, FLO, HELEN, DORIS.
Eventually, PRIME was replaced as Hanssen's favorite by ELLIS, a spot under
a footbridge over Wolftrap Creek near Creek Crossing Road at Foxstone Park
in Vienna, a one-mile walk from Hanssen's current residence on Talisman
Drive in Vienna.
As an espionage practitioner, Hanssen was clearly more technologically
advanced than his handlers: In 1988, he sent them the first of 26 computer
diskettes containing highly sensitive classified information. The fourth
diskette passed by Hanssen included a top-secret document on "The FBI's
Double Agent Program." But in a return package that included $25,000 in
cash, the KGB complained that the diskette was coded in some fashion and
couldn't be read.
The following month, Hanssen sent a letter explaining how to access the
diskette: "use 40 track mode."
By early 1989, Hanssen had become such an incredible gold mine that the KGB
established "an emergency call-out signal site" at Q Street and Connecticut
Avenue in the District which, when marked, meant that the KGB should
immediately check a dead drop coded BOB. Hanssen used the site when he came
up with documents hot off the press that he wanted his handlers to have
right away.
In the affidavit there is a gap from 1991 to 1999, with 1991 presumably
marking the year when the initial KGB case file acquired by U.S.
authorities ended. It remains a mystery how the U.S. got this file.
In any event, once those documents surfaced last year and clearly pointed
to Hanssen as a spy, the FBI executed secret searches of Hanssen's home,
office, car and computers. Those searches turned up correspondence between
him and his Russian handlers from 1999 to 2000.
What Hanssen did in the interim isn't at all clear. But the relationship
described in the later documents sounds like the earlier one. ELLIS, the
dead drop in Foxstone Park near Hanssen's home, was still very much in use.
Counterintelligence experts who have read the affidavit and know Hanssen
say his tradecraft was at times meticulous but often flawed: He made too
many drops; used PRIME and ELLIS, the dead drops near his home, far too
often; and told his handlers far too much about himself in his communications.
When the end came earlier this month, he was surveilled repeatedly driving
past ELLIS, where he was arrested Sunday night as he stashed classified
documents -- wrapped in a garbage bag as per his specifications, beneath
the footbridge.
By then, FBI agents had already recovered $50,000 left for him by the
Russians at a dead drop coded LEWIS at the Long Branch Nature Center in
Arlington. They photographed the contents, found Hanssen's fingerprints on
the bag, and put it back.
But it seems none of those mistakes would have been decisive if someone on
the other side had not betrayed him, just as he had betrayed Russian spies
working for America. Once that happened, the FBI had little trouble piecing
the clues together: Hanssen was the man the Russians called "B," his
tradecraft notwithstanding.
He was a realist about it all. Early on in his elaborately choreographed
dance with his handlers, Hanssen acknowledged that even tradecraft has its
limits.
"Eventually," he wrote, "I would appreciate an escape plan. (Nothing lasts
forever.)"