-Caveat Lector-

<http://www.ardemgaz.com/today/edi/wperDouglas25.html>

PERSPECTIVE: Democrats in trouble, and the pardons are just the
half of it

By BOB DOUGLAS

    Democrats are in serious trouble. The two-party system is
imperiled. I kid you not, to borrow a favorite phrase of Captain
Queeg of the USS Caine.

    And I was on the brink of declaring that I believed Bill
Clinton simply made a mistake--a serious mistake--in pardon ing
Marc Rich. Now the record reveals passes for dope dealers and a
whole passel of unsavory players. The president's brother-in-law,
a lawyer himself, used his connection to win two pardons.

    I am trying to reconcile Clinton's actions with the
accusations against him. It's not easy.

    Mistakes there were, aplenty. They raise suspicion of pardons
for sale. Mistakes, I hope, is all they were. With that
background, I sally forth with this declaration.

    I am a Democrat; I voted for Bill Clinton of Arkansas. I do
not regret that vote. I'd do it again for the good of the
country,

    There have been so many phony charges against Clinton that
they have, for all practical purposes, become fact. Still, he has
remained popular, or did so until the last few days. This his
critics hate most of all. They continue to whittle away at his
margin of approval, managing to reduce his rating from 68 percent
to 57 percent, now only one percentage point ahead of President
George W. Bush's 56 percent. So, gradually, they are getting away
with it. And the Clintons have helped, Lord knows.

    How on earth could Clinton have made such a mess of his
last-second pardon power? I can't explain it. I can only for the
time being give them the benefit of the doubt, a serious doubt.

    Clinton has governed this country with brilliance, with
unprecedented success. His mistakes have been in his personal
life, under attack from the beginning, while brazen peccadillos
of John F. Kennedy were pretty much a national secret.

    Bill and Hillary Clinton are the two most dollar honest
politicians on record. It is more than ironic that they have been
portrayed as grasping opportunists.

    I believe Bill Clinton's version of his pardon of Marc Rich
and Pincus Green. I think he made a serious mistake, but he did
it honestly. I do not believe that he did it as payback to Denise
Rich for the Democratic Party treasury and his own library.

    I think he did it for the reasons he listed, for Rich's
considerable favors to Israel and his contention that the matter
was handled badly in the first place, that it should have been a
civil case. Not good enough, but reasons, nevertheless.

    The one thing that his snarling critics have never been able
to pin on Clinton is venality. This guy does not care a fig about
a personal fortune, although he will wind up doing all right in
that respect. It was power he wanted and power he got, but power
that he has used ably and mostly in the country's best interests.

    Remember Hickman Ewing? A star of the Kenneth Starr stable,
an avid Clinton hater. Ewing's most memorable quote was that when
he first encountered Bill and Hillary Clinton, he recognized them
as "a couple of crooks," a statement that exposed the
anti-Clinton myopia for what it was. Ewing and his cohorts spent
close to $70 million to prove that point, but never came close.

    It is difficult to cling to a belief that Clinton spent his
last hours in office pressed for time and rushed through pardons
without giving them enough thought especially when former
President Jimmy Carter observes:

    "I don't think there is any doubt that some of the factors in
his [Rich's] pardon were attributed to his large gifts. In my
opinion, that was disgraceful."

    For all his political acumen, Clinton has been a miserable
failure at defending himself. It is growing harder and harder to
do it for him.

    Bob Douglas is the former managing editor of the Arkansas
Gazette and retired chairman of the Walter J. Lemke Department of
Journalism at the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville. Write
him at: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This article was published on Sunday, February 25, 2001

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:
                     *Michael Spitzer*  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>