-Caveat Lector-

Space MUST be demilitarized. Or we ALL will suffer
the consequences.                ---    Joshua2

Militarizing Space
http://www.insightmag.com/archive/200103200.shtml

By J. Michael Waller
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

The nation with military control of space will have the capability to
control international communications and access to land, sea and air. If the
U.S. should lose its present control of space, it will mark the end of its
status as a global superpower.

Sen. Robert Smith, R-N.H., was grimly serious. “Whoever controls space will
control the destiny of the Earth,” he declared. “And when you look at the
options out there, I would ask you, who do you want it to be? Iran? Russia?
Iraq? China?”
       Smith was raising those tough questions at a recent seminar on space
power at the prestigious Center for Security Policy in Washington. Not given
to flamboyant rhetoric, the plainspoken New Hampshireman continued, “To
those who say we can’t militarize space, I must say, ‘Do you want somebody
else to do it?’ ”
       China and Russia want to. So do likely or incipient nuclear powers
Pakistan, India, Iraq and North Korea. And it isn’t just those with military
ambitions, say leading defense authorities. Now, thanks to commercialization
of many space technologies, any individual or group with the cash can buy
the hardware and software to cause havoc for U.S. security interests in
space.
       Space holds the key to U.S. communications — not only for the
military, but for every single citizen whose news and entertainment,
telephone calls, Internet surfing, banking and financial services depend on
satellites. Vulnerable to attack is the entire communications system on
which the U.S. economy now depends.
       Equally vulnerable is the U.S. mainland itself. Any defense against
incoming ballistic missiles — be they short-range or strategic rockets with
nuclear warheads — must rely heavily on space-based sensors and, in some
cases, space-based weapons to shoot down the missiles or warheads before
they land.
       In military terms, control of space means much more than missile
defense. “The United States’ unimpeded access to space is vital to national
interests — the word ‘vital’ meaning that we are willing to do whatever it
takes to maintain that access,” according to Air Force Maj. Gen. Brian
Arnold. Virtually every facet of modern war-fighting makes use of space, he
says, “from intelligence to reconnaissance, surveillance to warning to
timing [and] getting over the target, to our precision-guidance weapons that
you saw used so well in Operation Allied Force to limit the collateral
damage, to put a single weapon on a single target, to the weather, to
accessing the battle damage after the fight, to the communications … and
going even further to computer-network defense and computer-network attack,
which uses a lot of space assets.”
       Polls show most Americans agree that, when threatened, the U.S.
military should be used to ensure full access to Middle Eastern oil, and
Americans overwhelmingly supported the use of force to free oil supplies in
Kuwait. But what about an Operation Desert Storm in space? The issue is
seldom discussed.
       “The importance of space control and space superiority will continue
to grow as our economy becomes more reliant on space,” according to Gen.
Ralph E. Eberhart, commander in chief of the U.S. Space Command, known as
SPACECOM. “As space becomes more integral — and critical — to military land,
sea and air operations, the U.S. must devote more attention to the sensitive
issues of space control and superiority.”
       What does that mean? “The space systems we have today provide remote
sensing, navigation, communications and other support services to all of our
land, air and sea forces,” Sen. Smith explains. The United States, he
emphasized at the Center for Security Policy panel, must have “information
superiority” to prevail in a conflict. And that’s not all. Smith said there
are two other types of programs that are missing if we are to achieve true
space power:
       “Number one, we have lacked space-control technology and
capabilities. We don’t have space-control capability, in my view,” Smith
said. “If we intend to maintain our information superiority, we need a
strong space-control program to protect our assets and to deny our
adversaries the use of their own systems.”
       Secondly, he says, the United States lacks a flexible
power-projection capability that would allow U.S. forces to use space to
project their military power elsewhere on Earth. Rather than take out land
targets with troops and aircraft, proponents say, the United States could
accomplish the same goals with space-based lasers capable of attacking
targets on the ground, at sea and in the air.
       Concerned about the Clinton/Gore administration’s lack of attention
to this problem, Smith introduced legislation that established a Commission
on National Security Space Management and Organization, known as the Space
Commission, a panel of 13 world-class space experts headed by Donald
Rumsfeld, now President George W. Bush’s secretary of defense.
       The Space Commission recommended that the Department of Defense
reorganize its entire space-management structure, focusing more resources on
space-based defenses. The report, released Jan. 11, concluded that just as
air and sea were theaters of battle in the 20th century, space will be a
theater of battle in the 21st. The United States, however, has not prepared
itself in this respect for next-generation warfare. The Rumsfeld report
says: “Having shown the world the utility of space systems, it would be
pretty naïve to think that our adversaries are just going to be sitting
around idly and not developing their own space-based information
capabilities and the tools and techniques to counter the current U.S. space
advantage.”
       How can the United States stop maverick regimes in Iran or Iraq, or
potentially hostile ones such as Russia or China, from using their
satellites to harm U.S. interests on the ground or disabling or destroying
U.S. satellites in space? The simplest way is to deploy weapons to take out
dangerous satellites. The Kinetic Energy Anti-Satellite Weapon (KE-ASAT) is
an inexpensive, quickly deployable device the United States could build to
deny the use of space to any potential adversary. This country has spent
$350 million on the KE-ASAT since 1993, but antidefense elements in the
Clinton administration tried to make sure the funds never reached the
programs Congress intended.
       “Without an antisatellite capability,” says Smith, “today’s foreign-
and commercial-surveillance satellites could easily detect our now-famous
dogleg in the desert that allowed the United States to quickly end the
Desert Storm operation with very few casualties. Without KE-ASAT, this
nation will not have the satellite-negation capability to deter satellite
operators from sharing or selling our adversaries sensitive intelligence of
the U.S. military, resulting in longer wars and more lives lost.”
       Commercialization of space has made it possible for Third World
regimes and even nonstate entities to use space for military and political
purposes, defense experts tell Insight. Today, a terrorist group such as
that of Osama bin Laden could rival the big space powers simply by buying
commercial space products and services, which include:

High-resolution imagery — once a U.S. monopoly — affords detailed overhead
photographs of military targets, allows anyone in the world to run
reconnaissance against U.S. and allied forces, permits foreign intelligence
services for the first time to train their personnel in detailed imagery
analysis and allows adversaries to improve their denial and deception
capabilities to conceal themselves and defeat other forms of reconnaissance
against them.

Global encrypted communications, which U.S. intelligence cannot crack, raise
a further problem.

Precise navigation aids, using the commercially available channels of the
U.S. Air Force-run Global Positioning System (GPS), can guide missiles and
other weapons with deadly accuracy against U.S. targets.

Space-object surveillance and identification devices, electronic jammers and
low-power lasers are for sale on the open market, enabling states and
nonstate actors to jump-start a military space program.

       But the Air Force, which has primary responsibility for military
space issues, has not made space security a priority. Some defense experts
believe it is time for an entirely new military service, perhaps called the
Space Force, to handle defense matters in space, much as the Air Force was
carved out of the Army after World War II.
       “Maybe that’s a little premature,” says Smith, “but let’s get it on
the table. Let’s talk about it. A solution as draconian as breaking off a
separate space force may be necessary to overcome the ingrained bias that we
see right now against space, and it may be the only way to ensure that funds
that have been allocated for space are spent for just that and not just
ignored or buried somewhere in the budget or put somewhere else.”
       Russia is ahead of the United States on meeting the new challenge. On
Jan. 25, the Kremlin created a new military service for space warfare. It
did so by splitting the Strategic Rocket Forces, Russia’s military service
in charge of intercontinental ballistic missiles, pulling out its two main
components responsible for military space activity: the Space Missile Force
and the Rocket and Space Defense Forces. The former is in charge of
Russian-military satellite programs, while the latter administers the
space-based components of Moscow’s early-warning system. The new service
will assume the name of one of its components, the Space Missile Force.
       Less than three weeks later, on Feb. 13, a Chinese state-run
information agency published a statement advocating preparation for space
warfare. Official government propaganda warning of a “dangerous arms race in
space” has been increasing in frequency and pitch in recent months, made
more shrill by January war games at the U.S. Space Warfare Center in
Colorado, which reportedly envisioned a conflict with China in the year
2017.
       Russia’s ongoing economic crisis has curtailed the advanced
military-space programs it inherited from the Soviet Union, but the Center
for Security Policy roundtable on space power found that Moscow “remains
among the world’s most advanced and comprehensive counterspace capabilities,
including the doctrine for its employment. They [the Russians] understand
the idea.”
       The People’s Republic of China is aggressively pursuing a military
space program and is acutely aware of the importance of space dominance.
Beijing “could emerge over the next 15 years as a leading threat to U.S.
space operations,” according to a Center for Security Policy paper on
threats to U.S. space access.
       “China is making an enormous investment in space-launch vehicles,
satellites and manned space systems,” the policy paper asserts. “Chinese
military theorists have written a great deal about the U.S. use of space
during the Gulf War, and China’s air-force academy recently increased the
number of courses offered in space war theory. … China understands space
power and is rapidly developing both the infrastructure and wherewithal to
challenge America’s current space-information dominance.”
       Beijing is building a global ground-based space-tracking network,
with new facilities in its sphere of influence and on the island of Tarawa
in the South Pacific and in Namibia, as well as aboard China’s growing naval
fleet and its massive merchant marine. One of China’s newest space weapons
is a microsatellite, which Beijing calls a “parasite satellite,” designed to
attach itself to target satellites like a limpet and to damage or disable
the target satellite on command. The United States has deployed no defenses
against them.
       While the Russians, Chinese and others have forged ahead with
space-based weapons, the Clinton/Gore administration deliberately sought to
deny the United States access to that high military frontier. Clinton
line-item vetoed congressionally mandated funding for the military space
plane, a low-cost craft that could launch and reach anywhere on the planet
in 45 minutes or less; for the KE-ASAT; and for the Clementine, a
lunar-exploration probe that doubled as a component of a missile-defense
system.
       China gets the bulk of its technology from Russia — and its financing
from the West. “An emerging dimension of China’s ability to militarize space
and challenge our assets there is that of finance or the funding side,” says
Roger Robinson, a key National Security Council official in the Reagan
administration who is chairman of the William J. Casey Institute at the
Center for Security Policy. “We have been looking at China in this regard —
that is, the national-security dimensions of their use of our capital
markets and our bond markets over the past four years, in what we call a
capital-markets transparency initiative, and have come up with some
troubling findings. There are firms, state-owned firms, in particular, that
are very close to the Chinese PLA [People’s Liberation Army], as well as
their military-intelligence capability, that are attracting hundreds of
millions of dollars in our markets” (see “China Cashes In,” Feb. 24, 2000).
       “At the national level, this country needs a national vision on
space,” says Gen. Arnold. “We need a very smart group of people at the very
top that can direct civil, commercial, international, DoD [Department of
Defense] and intelligence communities on exactly what this country wants to
do.”
       Right now, the United States doesn’t have one. The White House
National Security Council staffer responsible for space policy is a newly
minted graduate student fresh from the Bush presidential campaign.
       Failure to continue to dominate space, warns James Schlesinger,
former CIA chief and secretary of defense, will mean the downfall of the
United States as a world power. “Our position depends upon space, space
sensors, space communications, space intelligence and, also, guiding our
weapons accurately from space. All of this is a marvelous achievement, but
it creates for us a potential vulnerability — and that is if we are somehow
or other cut off, or our ability to utilize space is reduced, we are going
to be engaged around the world in ways that the U.S. public will not
particularly tolerate, in that we are likely to come home with large numbers
of bodies in bags. The consequence,” says Schlesinger, “is that the public
will be turned off. So our international role might come crashing down. And
the moral of the story is that we have to protect the usage of space.”