-Caveat Lector-

From
http://www.guardian.co.uk/footandmouth/story/0,7369,443621,00.html

>>>Quarantine?!?  The whole island(s)?!? A<>Y<>R <<<

}}>Begin
The making of an epidemic

Special report: Foot and mouth disease
John Vidal, Paul Brown, Peter Hetherington,  and  Kate Connolly  in Berlin
Tuesday February 27, 2001
The Guardian
The impossibly tangled web which Ministry of Agriculture staff began to unravel last
week now extends across three animal species, five countries and many British
counties as foot and mouth disease carried by British sheep threatens to spread
though Europe and even further afield.
But as mainland Europe continued yesterday to try to identify and quarantine or kill
those animals which they suspect may have come into contact with infected British
sheep, it was becoming clear that the continental meat trade is so complex that a
sheep born in Aberdeenshire could be trucked 1,600 miles before being slaughtered as
far away as Beirut.
The detective story starts, for the moment, when 40 sheep were sent from Ian
Williamson's Prestwick Hall farm at Ponteland near Newcastle airport to Hexham
market on February 13. It is known that more than 3,500 animals were sold that day
and all the buyers and sellers have to be traced and their animals monitored. The
ministry hopes to complete tracing them in the next 24 hours.
More than a week later, foot and mouth disease was confirmed among cattle at
Prestwick Hall farm shortly after Burnside farm at Heddon-on-the-Wall - barely four
miles away - was pinpointed by the Ministry of Agriculture as the likely source of
the national outbreak. Vets believe the virus was carried from infected pigs by wind
to Prestwick Hall farm, and then to a neighbouring farm at Westerhope, near
Newcastle - confirmed yesterday as th
e 10th outbreak.
They believe that the 40 sheep from Prestwick were sold to Willy Cleave, a Devon
dealer who has 11 farms in the west country where he keeps sheep before sending them
on to British abattoirs or for export. The 40 were then
 shipped on February 15 to Longtown market, Carlisle, which is one of the largest
sheep markets in Europe and also acts as a holding centre. However the ministry still
does not know for certain whether these sheep were th
e infected ones.
What is known is that the Longtown 40 were collected shortly afterwards and taken to
Mr Cleave's Highampton farm in Devon. Cattle there developed foot and mouth but it was
not known at the time they had caught it from she
ep.
On February 21, some sheep from Highampton were trucked to Bromham slaughterhouse in
Wiltshire, where they developed foot and mouth. The next day sheep from the same farm
were sent to Northampton and sold at the local auc
tion. Normally, about 85% of the 1,500 sheep sold that day would go for export but
because the export route had been closed on February 17, these sheep would have been
held by dealers. All are now being traced.
Separately Mr Cleave had, on February 12, trucked 348 sheep from Devon to Germany via
Dover on the Cap Afrique, Britain's only dedicated livestock export ferry. Since then
according to the ministry, he had sold other batc
hes of sheep to British dealers intended for export. All these are also being searched
for.
The last sheep exports from Britain to the continent were at 2am on February 17. The
Cap Afrique left Dover loaded with hundreds of animals bound for Dunkirk. Farmer's
Ferry, the company which owns it, said it had exporte
d about 30,000 sheepin the two weeks before the ban. The ministry is having to trace
all sheep exported on the Cap Afrique in the past three weeks.
Yesterday, the German authorities traced the 348 sheep sent directly by Mr Cleave to
Germany on February 12 and killed them as a precautionary measure.
The Cap Afrique suspended all operations within hours of   the first confirmed
outbreak, but the European authorities say it may have been too late to prevent the
disease spreading through Europe.
After long journeys from as far away as Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and the west
country, animals are known to be highly susceptible to disease. If any of those
exported in the past few weeks had already been infect
ed, they could easily have passed it on.
Most live sheep exported from Britain are taken first to   any one of more than 60 EU
registered "holding stations" where they are kept, often with many thousands of other
animals, for up to several days. British exporter
s favour a handful of large stations in Belgium and Holland.
However, according to Gilles Frojet of the major French holding station La Gatevinière
at Argenton L'Eglise, there are many unofficial holding stations in mainland Europe
which could also have received infected animals an
d could   possibly duck the authorities' investigations.
Tracing livestock movements in Europe is difficult, said Mike Gooding of Farmers
First, a British sheep exporter. British animals have full documentation, but many
animals in continental holding centres are resold in job
lots to buyers who quite legally alter their papers of origin.
"They are all mixed up which adds to the potential for disease and many are bought and
sold," said Mr Gooding.
>From these staging posts and markets, sheep go all over the continent and many are
>re-exported with Dutch, French or Belgian papers 1,000 miles or more to abattoirs in
>Italy, Greece and Spain. Hundreds of thousands of ani
mals are then re-exported outside Europe, especially to the Middle East and North
Africa via Italian ports.
Yesterday, the Dutch slaughtered 4,300 animals on 11 farms. The French farm ministry
said that up to 47,000 sheep recently imported from   Britain had been identified but
it had not decided whether to kill them.
German officials announced a programme of slaughter for thousands of livestock. It
began on two farms in the state of North Rhein Westphalia which, according to the
state's agriculture minister, Bärbel Höhn, has received
thousands of sheep and pigs from farms in Britain in the past few weeks, including
from some of those which have been struck by the disease.
"If the virus spread to the continent, the entire European Union would risk losing its
status as free of foot and mouth disease," said Bernard Vallat, director-general of
the Paris-based International Epizootic Office. "T
he re-emergence of the disease in Britainpresents a potential major threat to European
exports."
Talk about it
What do you think?
Related special reports
Special report: what's wrong with our food?
Special report: countryside in crisis
Related articles
26.02.2001: Farmers' hopes go up in flames
26.02.2001: Dirty farm row grows
'We'll be destroyed by this'
23.02.2001: Global disease on the rise
23.02.2001: The countryside waits... and hopes
22.02.2001, leader: Down on the farm
Background
21.02.2001, the issue explained: Foot-and-mouth disease
21.02.2001, NetNotes: Pigs
Interactive
The countryside in crisis
Useful links
Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food
Meat and livestock commission
National Farmers Union
National Pig Association
World organisation for animal health: foot-and-mouth disease

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2001

End<{{
A<>E<>R
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Integrity has no need of rules. -Albert Camus (1913-1960)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The libertarian therefore considers one of his prime educational
tasks is to spread the demystification and desanctification of the
State among its hapless subjects.  His task is to demonstrate
repeatedly and in depth that not only the emperor but even the
"democratic" State has no clothes; that all governments subsist
by exploitive rule over the public; and that such rule is the reverse
of objective necessity.  He strives to show that the existence of
taxation and the State necessarily sets up a class division between
the exploiting rulers and the exploited ruled.  He seeks to show that
the task of the court intellectuals who have always supported the State
has ever been to weave mystification in order to induce the public to
accept State rule and that these intellectuals obtain, in return, a
share in the power and pelf extracted by the rulers from their deluded
subjects.
[[For a New Liberty:  The Libertarian Manifesto, Murray N. Rothbard,
Fox & Wilkes, 1973, 1978, p. 25]]