Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

Two Killed, 13 Wounded In School Shooting
Near San Diego
Monday, March 5, 2001

A gunman opened fire at a high school near San Diego Monday morning, killing
two students and injuring 13 other people.

FOXNews.com

A 15-year-old male student has been taken into custody, according to the San
Diego County sheriff's department.

While authorities would not confirm the identity of the suspect, student
eyewitnesses at Santana High School in Santee, Calif., told Fox News the
gunman was a male freshman student.

Authorities confirmed that one student died on the scene. A second fatality,
a 15-year-old male student, died at Grossmont Hospital, hospital spokeswoman
Eileen Cornish said.

Seven victims taken to Sharp Hospital were in stable condition and had not
sustained life-threatening injuries, KGTV reported. Several of the victims
may be adult staff members.

A sheriff's deputy who was reported wounded was injured during an unrelated
incident, officials said.

San Diego County District Attorney Paul Fingst said Monday that the juvenile
suspect would most likely be tried in adult court, unless further
investigation uncovered mitigating circumstances. The suspect could face
charges of murder, assault, assault with a deadly weapon and use of a gun,
Fingst said.

Fingst said a task force comprised of personnel from the district attorney's
office, the sheriff's department, the local police and federal investigators
were in the process of interviewing "literally hundreds and hundreds" of
witnesses.

Another student, Josh Stevens, was reportedly taken into custody for
questioning. Stevens is not a suspect, but was reportedly told of the
shooting by the suspect. Stevens told reporters Monday that the suspect asked
him if he wanted to participate in the shooting, but then said he was only
joking.

The fatal shootings took place in the boys' restroom and on the quadrangle of
Santana High School at about 9:30 Pacific Time. Witnesses said the gunman
began shooting in the bathroom and then turned his fire onto the quadrangle.

Santana student John Schardt, 17, told KFMB that he heard shots ring out at
about 9:20 a.m. while he was in a nearby classroom, and that he took video
footage of the shooter. The police confiscated Schardt's tape.

"I looked at the kid, and he was smiling and shooting his weapon," said
Schardt. "Everyone was running away ... I saw one student go down. He was
lying in the middle of the quad."

The gunman, upon emptying his long-barreled pistol, went into the bathroom to
reload and came back out firing, according to Schardt.

Schardt did not know the gunman's name, but had seen him in school
previously.

Andrew Kaforey, a 17-year-old Santana senior, said he ran into the bathroom
with a security guard after hearing what sounded like a firecracker or a
gunshot.

FOXNews.com

Monday: An unidentified youth is carried on a stretcher in the wake of the
Santana High School shootings.

"He pointed the gun right at me but he didn't shoot," Kaforey said. As he and
the guard ran out, the gunman shot the guard in the back, Kaforey said.

Kaforey's 14-year-old brother, Jacob, said a boy they believe was the gunman
had talked earlier about how he owned a gun, although other students hadn't
seen the weapon. The boy also had talked about stealing a car and going to
Mexico, Jacob said.

Gunman Warned of Shooting

Students who knew the accused shooter said the teenager had bragged Sunday
night that he was planning the shooting. When they pressed him, however, he
said he was only joking.

Chris Reynolds, an adult who knows the alleged shooter, said the boy had been
talking last week about shooting people, but assured his friends and Reynolds
that he wasn't serious.

"Everybody can't believe that he actually did it," Reynolds told KGTV. "He
said he was just joking."

"I do regret that I didn't do something because I should've stepped up even
if it wasn't true and stuff to take that precaution," Reynolds said. "If
someone did die over there and stuff that's going to be haunting me for a
long time, that's going to be with me for a long time. It just hurts because
I could've maybe done something about it."

Reynolds described the shooter as the type of boy who was picked on at
school, but also that he had "a lot of friends" and a "good attitude." He
added said one of the boy's friends even checked the shooter's knapsack
Monday morning to make sure it did not contain a weapon.

Chaos and Tragedy

Student Rachelle Ackerman told reporters that about three minutes before the
bell was scheduled to ring, she heard the gunfire. "I ran into the office. I
started yelling, 'Gun! Call 911! Someone's been shot.'"

"It sounded like fireworks, or a popgun ... then you just heard people yell
'run' and I started running," said Pam Hanson, 16, a junior.

Student Alicia Zimmer saw a boy lying face down on the floor, a girl with
blood on her arm and another with blood on her hands, she told KGTV.

She said she heard shots but didn't see a shooter. "They sounded more like a
capgun," she said of the noise.

"I dropped my stuff; it's still there right in the middle of the hall. It was
really scary," she said.

Several students cried as they left the school.

"I just heard the shots and students were running and running. I thought it
was a joke or something," said Ruben Martinez, senior, 18.

Martinez's mother came to get him in the parking lot, leaving her job at an
electronics plant in nearby Sorrento Valley, where a co-worker had heard
about it on radio.

"I just had to leave right away and see if he was OK," Sylvia Martinez said.

Santana High School Principal Karen Degischer said Monday that Santana did
not use metal detectors but did employ a private security staff. Degischer
described Santana's staff and student body as a "close-knit" group. She said
the school had a long-standing plan in place to deal with this type of crisis
situation; asked if a school could ever be prepared for something like this,
Degischer responded, "No."

"I am concerned for my students, I am concerned for their families and I'm
concerned for my staff," Degischer said.

President Bush, told of the shooting Monday afternoon, called the incident a
"disgraceful act of cowardice."

"All adults in society can teach children right from rong and teach them that
life is precious," Bush said. "But first things first, our prayers go with
the families."

Santana High School opened its doors to students for the first time on Sept.
20, 1965. It serves more that 1,900 students in grades nine through twelve.

— The Associated Press contributed to this report