->  SNETNEWS  Mailing List

Subject: {slick-d} 'Straight Pride' Shirt Banned (web sites included)

Source
http://www.family.org/cforum/fnif/news/a0015008.html

February 27, 2001

'Straight Pride' Shirt Banned
By Stuart Shepard, correspondent

A Minnesota high school officially sanctions "gay pride," but
recently banned a solitary expression of "straight pride."

Elliott Chambers is 16, a Christian, and the owner of a sweatshirt
that reads "Straight Pride" on the front with a logo of a boy and
girl holding hands on the back. He tried to wear it at his school
recently, which mandates "gay pride" stickers and posters be
placed on walls and doors designating so-called "safe zones" for
homosexual students.

"They have all this gay-pride stuff, and I thought it would be cool if
we had a straight pride shirt for a change," Chambers said. "It
was just to get people thinking."

It only succeeded in getting some of his classmates thinking of
going to the principal's office, which is where Elliott ended up.

"(The principal) said that I couldn't wear it," Chambers said. "I
guess his cover was that it would incite violence."

Lana Chambers, Elliott's mom, was livid when she found out
about the principal's action.

"I said, 'You're telling me that he cannot wear this shirt because
it's offensive to them (homosexuals)? Well, those signs are
offensive to him! And to me! And I'm a taxpayer!' " Lana
Chambers said.

Attorney Frank Manion, with the American Center for Law and
Justice (ACLJ), said the principal's argument that banning the
shirt is a matter of school safety is a "smokescreen."

"It's obviously discriminatory and something that the school
should not be allowed to get away with," Manion said. "We've got
to beware of the aims and the goals of, really, the radical
homosexual-rights movement. "

Elliott had a new shirt made to wear after his sweatshirt was
banned. It simply reads, "Help, I'm being repressed."

Straight Pride web site:
http://straightpridewear.com/

Straight Pride is a statement from the Silent Majority that is
gaining momentum.

According to Randy Thomasson, who is now the Executive Director
of Campaign for California Families: "The debate over Homosexual
rights or "gay rights" is raging in California. From the notion
of gay "marriage" to domestic partners to adoption of children
by homosexual couples to powerful civil rights status on the
basis of "sexual orientation," the gay rights movement is
pushing legislation at the state and local levels to get what
it wants. Unfortunately, the loudness of gay rights has put
many citizens who embrace family values on the defensive."

Our mission is to help these citizens of the Silent Majority
put their message out to the world of "political correctness"
that we are "Straight" and proud of it! We plan on
accomplishing this by offering our products to the
marketplace and providing articles and links to other sites
that share our philosophy.

-> To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

T O P I C A  -- Learn More. Surf Less.
http://www.topica.com/partner/tag01