-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

Congress tells Shinseki to provide answers on beret purchase

By Matthew Cox
Times staff writer

The chairman of the House Government Reform Committee is ready to call Army
Chief of Staff Gen. Eric Shinseki before the panel if he doesn’t get some
answers concerning the black beret purchase.

In a March 13 letter, Rep. Dan Burton, R-Ind., told Shinseki his committee is
considering holding a public hearing if Shinseki doesn’t provide satisfactory
answers to questions about his plan to make the black beret the Army’s new
headgear and to have a portion of them made in China.

The letter is the latest example of lawmakers’ concerns over Shinseki’s
decision. It followed a Defense Department announcement earlier that day,
during a Pentagon briefing, that it will study whether the Army should
suspend its plan to issue the berets.

Shinseki met with members of Burton’s committee March 7 in an attempt to
resolve the issue, but Burton remains concerned over two issues.

“As we indicated during the meeting and in previous correspondence,” Burton
wrote, “we are concerned about: (1) the inconsistent rationale that protects
the traditions of some Army components (those entitled to wear green and
maroon berets) and abandons the Rangers’ black beret tradition; and (2) the
fact that the Army contracted to purchase a portion of the berets from
factories located within, among other nations, the People’s Republic of
China.”

Burton was unavailable for comment, but his spokesman, Mark Corallo, said
that a public hearing is likely to be scheduled on the issue if these
questions aren’t answered by late March.

“I think the letter is pretty clear,” he said. “If the committee’s
questions are not answered, I think there is a good chance that we would have
a public hearing.”

Shinseki’s spokesman, Lt. Col. Lew Boone, said that while he did not attend
the March 7 meeting, or the previous two meetings between Burton’s office and
Army staff, “We have tried to answer the questions to the best of our ability
each time.”

Boone added that if a hearing is held, Shinseki’s statements might convince
the public that his decision over the black beret is for the good of the Army.

“If the chief makes the points that he normally makes, I believe he would
change minds,” Boone said.

Corallo said that if the committee’s concerns aren’t satisfied, it could
introduce legislation to rework the plan. “There could be legislation to halt
the contract or override the color selection. It can be done,” he said.

The Defense Department’s announcement that it would study the matter came
after Virginia Sen. John Warner, chairman of the Senate Armed Services
Committee, sent a letter to Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld recommending
the department stop implementing the plan until the Bush administration can
review the controversial change.

The issue has unleashed a storm of protests from former and active soldiers
who argue that the black beret has officially belonged to the Rangers since
the Army authorized it in 1975.

In his letter to Rumsfeld, Warner said he, too, is concerned that some berets
are being manufactured in China.

The Defense Supply Center, Philadelphia was granted a waiver to the Berry
Amendment, which requires all uniform items to be American made. The waiver
means that 617,936 of the 3.8 million berets needed would be manufactured by
Kangol Ltd., a United Kingdom company that operates in China, officials said.

So far, the Defense Logistics Agency has paid $1.2 million toward the $4
million contract with Kangol and has received 194,000 of the berets, said DLA
spokeswoman Gerda Parr.

Rumsfeld has tasked Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz to study the
black beret issue and make recommendations as to what action, if any, should
be taken, said Pentagon spokesman Rear Adm. Craig Quigley at Tuesday’s
Pentagon briefing.

March 14, 2001

screeds are unwelcomed. Substancenot soap-boxingplease!  These are
sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'with its many half-truths, mis-
directions and outright fraudsis used politically by different groups with