-Caveat Lector-

Source: Clandestine Radio.com

http://www.clandestineradio.com/

USA: STANDOFF WITH KSMR UNDERWAY USA: RESPONSE FROM THE KSM

http://www.clandestineradio.com/watch/latest.htm

USA: Standoff with KSMR Underway

By Hans Johnson, Cumbre DX, and Nick Grace C., Clandestine Radio
Watch - Washington Bureau, with reports by Chris Lobdell and
Martin Schoech.

[Mar 15] A standoff is underway between the U.S.  government and
the recently-launched Kentucky State Militia Radio (KSMR) and the
situation is on the verge of reaching critical mass.  With time
ticking both sides are preparing for a showdown that could happen
within days.

Documents just obtained by CDX-CRW indicate that members of the
Kentucky State Militia (KSM) have been under investigation by the
Federal Communications Commission (FCC) for alleged amateur radio
violations since December.  The documents reveal a tense
confrontation between KSM "Major" Steve Anderson, who engineers
and hosts KSMR, and "Commander" Charlie Puckett against the FCC,
which has culminated in the revocation of Anderson's amateur
radio license.

Anderson, who held the Extra-class license AA8DP, received a
"Warning Notice," dated December 8, 2000 that states "Monitoring
information before the Commission indicates that on December 4,
2000 you operated radio-transmitting equipment on 6.890 MHz, a
frequency not licensed to you under your extra Class license."

Puckett, when interviewed independently by CRW and CDX last week,
denied published monitoring reports that the KSM or its members
were involved in the alleged transmissions, which jammed
commercial radio station WWFV.

The FCC, according to the documents, also began an investigation
into Puckett, who holds the Technician-class license KF4ZMG, for
operating on 3860 kHz in December.  Puckett denied the violation
in writing, stating that the transmissions were under the
"control" of Anderson - who is licensed for operation on that
frequency.  When the government requested specific details from
Anderson about the dates, times and the nature of the
transmissions' identification, he returned his license to the
FCC.  "At this time," he wrote in response to the government, "be
advised that...  the contract with the agency Federal
Communications Commission, an agent of a foreign corporation,
under the auspices of Amateur Radio license AA8DP, is hereby
rescinded.  All authority assumed by the F.C.C.  is null and
void."

"I do not reside in any territory or possession of the Federal
Government of the United States of America," he continued, "and
am not subject to any regulation by this fictitious entity."

In what seems to be a major development, Anderson announced
during a broadcast on Friday, March 9, that he received another
letter from the FCC - presumably for his transmissions as KSMR.
"(There is) no point in citing me," he stated.  "This is not my
station.  This is the Kentucky Militia station...  We don't want
to hear from you (because) you don't have anything to say to us.
You don't have any authority over us.  We are asserting our First
Amendment Rights here and are protecting them with the Second
Amendment." The Second Amendment refers to the right to bear
arms.

"Take My Gun from My Cold Dead Hands"

Anderson launched KSMR on March 3 and has broadcast nightly on
3260 kHz USB between 0300 and 0400 UTC.  The live programs,
confirmed by CRW and CDX to be sponsored by the KSM, begin with a
song called "Take My Gun (From My Cold Dead Hands)" by David
VonKleist that segues into 15 minutes of militia announcements.
Anderson proceeds into a thirty-minute commentary on such topics
as Christianity, alleged U.S.  government cover-ups, and
justifications for the existence of patriot militia movement -
which perceives itself to be defending the country against a
corrupted and conspiratorial federal government.  The program
then ends with a 15-minute recitation of militia contact
addresses across the United States.

"We are trying to protect and defend the (U.S.) Constitution and
our sovereign Republic," Anderson told CRW-CDX when reached by
telephone.  "I hope we're giving a positive message."

According to Puckett, the KSM is sponsoring the station to
provide news and information that is not widely available to the
public.  In fact, he alleged, commercial shortwave stations have
been censoring patriot programming.  "They were selectively
pulling programs off...  Information that people need!"

Published reports, however, indicate that many programs have been
taken off the air for financial and not ideological reasons.

KSMR, Anderson openly revealed, operates at approximately 800
watts, uses an extended-double zep antenna at 110' (36 meters).
The antenna, he said, provides for a 3dB gain over a regular
dipole antenna, and plans are in the works to employ a 3kW
amplifier he calls the "rock crusher." Regardless, the station is
already heard coast-to-coast and has even been monitored in
Western Europe.

On Wednesday, March 14, he tested 6880 kHz and claims that the
station will soon carry live programming from the Genesis and
Heritage radio networks through a satellite feed.  If all goes as
planned, the station will operate full-time from 9 AM (1400 UTC)
to 12 AM midnight (0500 UTC) on 3260, 6880, and 12181 kHz USB.
When asked for his reasoning to use this set of frequencies,
which are all at least 10 kHz below WWFV, Anderson noted that
KSMR will occasionally move off frequency in order to avoid
interference.  But, he said, if nearby WWFV "I'm easy to find."

"You'd be suRprised at how cohesive and unified the patriot
community is," Puckett told CRW-CDX last week during a telephone
interview.  "KSMR is truly a national effort." He said that
donations amounting to US$2800 have already been collected for
the station.  And indeed, Anderson often announces during his
broadcasts that new equipment supplied by other militia groups
have been shipped to the station "garrison."

Although the Internet can be a useful and expedient communications tool,
Puckett explained, the government "can bring it down.  Shortwave is the
only reliable communication medium...  Everyone in the patriot community
has got a shortwave radio."

In fact, both Anderson and Puckett claim that KSMR, as the first
unlicensed militia radio station, is not only showing other
groups that it is possible to establish an independent voice on
radio but also inspiring other groups to take to the airwaves.
During a "major" militia rally in Norm Creek, Kentucky, next
month, Anderson will lead a discussion on communications and
antennas to members of other groups who will attend.

Lying in Wait The government, needless to say, is taking the
KSM's defiance seriously and, CDX-CRW has learned, is already
planning for the station's closure.

"We know who they are.  We know where they are," Riley
Hollingsworth of the FCC Enforcement Bureau said.  "There will be
an enforcement action...  It's still an open case, and with his
continuing the pirate station on 3260 kHz he is at risk of a
minimum US$7,500 fine as well as equipment seizure."

KSMR, however, is unmoved by the thought of a confrontation with
the government.  "This is not one guy," Anderson announced during
a recent program.  "There's about 13,000 of us down here... We're
not worried."

When reached by phone, he said "We're not threatening anybody...
Wouldn't KSMR come in handy if there was a national emergency?
We sure think it would."

Nevertheless, the vow to protect the station under their rights
as enshrined in the Second Amendment - the right to bear arms -
has caused some listeners to worry that the impending physical
confrontation could lead to violence.  Given KSMR's vow to defend
the station, sources within the FCC have told CDX-CRW that law
enforcement personnel will accompany the agents during the
closure.  But according to Larry Clance at the FCC, there has
never been a case of an unlicensed station defending itself with
firearms.

Whether KSMR becomes the first remains to be seen.  Clearly,
though, the standoff has already begun.

USA: Response from the KSM

Charlie Puckett, Commander of the Kentucky State Militia,
responded to the article published above about KSMR.  Although
CRW-CDX still stands by the accuracy of the original article, we
are posting his comments in full in the interest of fairness:

I read the article that was put out by you on the 15th of March
2001.  I don't know where the intell came from that you quote,
but it is VERY inaccurate!!

# 1.  Major Anderson's License was never suspended!!  Mr.
Anderson sent his license in on his own!!  The investigation of
my operation on 3.860 was closed some time ago.  My transmission
on 3.860 was legal as Mr.  Anderson was the Control Operator at
the station at the time of the broadcast by me!!  I have not even
transmitted on any frequency since this happened!!  Mr.
Anderson responded to the F.C.C.  about these allegations some
time ago.  After that is when he sent his license in.

KSMR is NOT sponsored by the Kentucky State Militia, but by
Militia's, and patriots all across this country.

The programs you mentioned being pulled off networks is true but
not for financial reasons.  Most of the programming was prepaid!

One last statement, KSMR is NOT a garrison!!!

Thank you for your time.

Charlie Puckett
State Commanding Officer, Kentucky State Militia

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:
                    *Michael Spitzer*  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>