From: "Koenig's International News" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2001 7:52 PM
Subject: Analysis: Sharon Meets Bush

> Analysis: Sharon Meets Bush - Bill Koenig
>
> March 21, 2001
>
> SECURITY BLANKET
>
> The security for the visit of Israel's Prime Minister
Ariel Sharon
> to Washington was enormous. I was walking to the White
House on
> Monday, and my usual route was closed off. Taking another
way, I
> found that street, just to the west of the White House,
closed
> also.
>
> The reason became immediately clear, because I spotted the
Israeli
> flag flying over the Blair House, the residence where
foreign
> dignitaries stay when visiting the White House. I also saw
many
> official-looking black cars and SUV's parked in front.
>
> A Secret Service officer told me that it would be ten
minutes or so
> before the street would reopen. Sure enough, approximately
ten
> minutes later, a five-motorcycle brigade pulled out to the
street,
> and a convoy of seven cars lined up behind them before
leaving with
> Ariel Sharon and his party.
>
> The most incredible sight was a specially- made black
limousine
> with two side windows rolled down on both sides, and two
Israeli
> machine gunners sitting in place ready for the slightest
> provocation.
>
> I found out later that the convoy was on the way to the
Pentagon
> for Ariel Sharon's full honors presentation and then to
meet with
> Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld.
>
> Late Monday afternoon, upon my leaving for home, I
witnessed
> Secretary of State Colin Powell leaving the Blair House
after a
> meeting with Sharon. Some Jewish observers clapped and
thanked him
> for his powerful message to American Israeli Public
Affairs
> Committee (AIPAC) that morning.
>
> I was in the driveway of the West Wing yesterday when the
Israeli
> Prime Minister arrived for a meeting with President Bush.
>
> Here was another example of the tight security in place,
because,
> rather than walking the 100 yards from the Blair House to
the White
> House, Ariel Sharon rode in his vehicle right to the front
door,
> getting out and entering directly into the West Wing.
> Sharon left the same way also.
>
> The entire north lawn of the White House had Secret
Service agents
> in evidence; I have not nor probably will not see security
this
> tight again, unless the new Israeli Prime Minister comes
back for
> another visit.
>
> ANALYSIS
>
> As I mentioned in my recent commentary, "Middle East:
Bottom Line,"
> two of the three key remaining issues in the quest for
Mideast
> peace remain the splitting of Jerusalem and the
sovereignty over
> the Temple Mount. Both Israel and the Palestinians seem to
be set
> in their position and unwilling to budge.
>
> The same scenario applies to the third issue, involving
control
> over the strategic Golan Heights, which involves Israel
and Syria.
> Again, both sides appear to be firmly holding to their
"line in the
> sand" and therein lies the potential for conflict.
>
> Additionally, Sharon has warned everyone that his
government will
> not offer anything close to the concessions that former
Prime
> Minister Ehud Barak had previously put on the table.
>
> PERSPECTIVE: SHARON AND BUSH
>
> The Israeli newspaper Ha'aretz contained this article on
Sunday:
> "Sharon heads confidently for the U.S., expecting to find
a common
> language with the Bush administration."
>
> Here is the peace that the two leaders envision:
>
> President Bush is interested in securing the flow of oil
from the
> Gulf and in reducing Iraq's power. There he needs quiet
and calm in
> the Arab world.
>
> Prime Minister Sharon wants to release his Israeli
citizens from
> their fear of Arab terror attacks, while paying Yasser
Arafat and
> the Palestinians only the minimum price in territorial
compromise.

> Sharon continues to say that security for the people of
Israel is
> the number one priority. He also maintains that no further
talks
> will take place until the security issues are dealt with
and terror
> is ended.
>
> He also has stated previously that he won't budge on
dividing
> Jerusalem, the sovereignty over the Temple Mount, and
control of
> the Golan Heights. His main plan is to continue isolating
Arafat
> and seeking to overturn his government.
>
> Bush will not push for Middle East peace and is under no
deadline.
> He also would like to isolate Iran, Iraq, and most likely
> Arafat-all terror concerns in that region. If these
entities are
> under control, then the region will be a safer place.
>
> The purpose of Colin Powell's recent trip to the Middle
East was to
> share the White House plan with the Gulf War Allies.
>
> Additionally, President Bush will be able to share that
plan in
> person with Egypt's President Mubarek on April 2 and King
Abdullah
> of Jordan on April 9.  Both meetings will be at the White
House.

> Bush also affirmed America's commitment to Israel with
Prime
> Minister Sharon and spoke with him about the value of the
long-term
> relationship. He stressed the importance of that
relationship in
> the future in keeping Middle East peace.
>
> With Sharon at his side, President George W. Bush told
reporters:
> "I told him that our nation will not try to force peace,
that we
> will facilitate peace, and that we will work with those
responsible
> for peace."
>
> Sharon later told Israeli journalists that he had warned
Bush about
> inviting Arafat because it would send a signal that
"terrorism
> pays." It was reported that Bush did not reply.
>
> However, sources with the Israeli delegation told
reporters
> afterward that Bush had told Sharon, "I'm 100 percent with
you" and
> that "there should be no negotiations under the pressure
of
> terror."
>
> PROPHETIC IMPLICATIONS
>
> The interesting aspect to all of this is that I don't
believe the
> new American president knows the prophetic significance of
what is
> happening in Israel and the Middle East right now.
>
> I am looking into this further. However, if that thesis is
true, I
> am praying that at some point he will gain a greater
understanding
> of the importance of what is happening in the Middle East
and
> America's role. Would he do things any differently? No,
probably
> not. But it will still be crucial for America to continue
to stand
> by Israel in the days ahead.
>
> A tougher stand by the United States and Israel toward the
militant
> Middle East players could very well bring prophetic
possibilities
> to the forefront faster.
>
> I continue to ponder what might happen when Yasser Arafat
flees to
> Baghdad, Iraq gets more bold, and Iran gets more
high-powered
> equipment from Russia while continuing to supply the
Hizbullah on
> the northern border of Israel.
>
> And don't forget the fact that Syria has the most advanced
chemical
> weapons in the world, according to Jane's Defence Weekly
of Great
> Britain, and that Syria and China had two meetings last
year, one

please click here:  http://www.watch.org/index.html?mcat=11

http://www.fni.com/