-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

N. Korea ‘No. 1 enemy’ in Asia
Pacific commander heats up war of words with Pyongyang

By Jon Dougherty
© 2001 WorldNetDaily.com

The commander of the U.S. Pacific Command has called North Korea America's
"No. 1 enemy" in the Asia-Pacific theater, as the Bush administration's
stance towards Pyongyang continues to get tougher.

Adm. Dennis Blair, speaking to reporters in Seoul on Tuesday, also touted the
U.S.-South Korean alliance as the major bulwark against North Korean
aggression.

"I would define North Korea as the No. 1 enemy state when I look across my
area of responsibility," Blair said.

"However," he added, "I think the chances of conflict with North Korea are
very low. And the reason they are low is that the U.S.-South Korea alliance
is strong.

"Our combined military capability and the strength of our countries would be
victorious in any conflict and I think the North Koreans know that," Blair
said.

The Pacific theater commander also called for a reduction in the "very tense
situation" around the DMZ, or demilitarized zone, the most heavily defended
border in the world that separates the two Koreas, and the Cold War's last
remaining vestige.

The DMZ has been in place for nearly 50 years, established in the wake of the
1950-53 Korean War, when the warring nations signed an armistice.

A formal peace treaty has never been signed; both countries, technically, are
still at war.

The U.S. maintains 37,000 troops in South Korea.

"The forward deployment of the North Korean armed forces, their artillery
forces, simply pose too much of a short-term threat to South Korea," Blair
said, reinforcing the U.S. commitment to remain engaged on the Korean
peninsula.

Meanwhile, North Korean officials decried Blair's rhetoric and accused the
Bush administration of attempting to foment ill will against Pyongyang in the
south at a time when both Koreas are making attempts to reunify peacefully.

There have been daily attacks against the U.S. and the Bush administration in
various influential North Korean media outlets, most claiming that Washington
is attempting to draw Pyongyang into a conflict.

The Bush administration is currently reviewing U.S. policy with North Korea.
Backers of the national missile defense shield have often mentioned
Pyongyang's ballistic missile and nuclear weapons programs as one of the main
reasons why the system should be built, though critics have said North
Korea's missile programs are primitive and pose no threat to the United
States' mainland.

South Korea, Japan and the U.S. announced earlier this week that their
leaders will hold key meetings next Monday, in Seoul, to discuss coordination
of policy towards North Korea.

Jon E. Dougherty is a staff writer for WorldNetDaily.