-Caveat Lector-

>    Feature April 2, 2001/Vol 6, Number 28
>
>    Follow the Money
>    The Jesse Jackson story
>    By Noah D. Oppenheim
>
>    On March 8, the Reverend Jesse Jackson held a press
conference in
>    Chicago. All the country's major newspapers sent
reporters, and all
>    three cable news networks covered the event live.
Jackson had
> promised
>    to explain the byzantine finances of his nonprofit
empire-in
>    particular, the omission from tax forms of payments to
employee Karin

>    Stanford, the mother of his illegitimate child.
>
>    Jackson would eventually get around to offering his
explanation-a
>    simple accounting oversight, devoid of "improprietybut
only after
> most
>    TV networks had tuned out, apparently bored by the
testimonials from
>    long parade of Jackson's friends.
>
>    The most memorable of these character witnesses was Jim
Reynolds,
>    owner of Loop Capital Markets, a Chicago investment
bank. Before
>    singing Jackson's praises, Reynolds described how,
after 20 years in
>    the world of finance, he had founded his own firm.
Reynolds boasted
> of
>    Loop, "We're the number one underwriter of public
securities . . . in

>    this city and state. We've been at business
approximately three
>    years." And Reynolds explained his firm's meteoric
rise: "A
>    significant part of the access that we've enjoyed . . .
has only been

>    made possible through the tireless efforts of Reverend
Jackson."

>    In the weeks since his press conference, Jackson's
dealings have come

>    under heightened scrutiny. Questions have arisen about
more than the
>    personal embarrassment that originally sparked the
public's interest.

>    Even more troubling than the apparent misuse of
charitable dollars to

>    conceal an extramarital affair are Jackson's "tireless
efforts" on
>    behalf of minority businessmen such as Reynolds. While
Jackson says
> he
>    is working to tear down the walls of "economic
apartheid," his
> tactics
>    bring to mind an old-style protection racket.
>
>    Thanks to the reporting of Tim Novak, Chuck Neubauer,
and Abdon M.
>    Pallasch in the Chicago Sun-Times and Eric Slater and
Myron Levin in
>    the Los Angeles Times in the past two months, a clear
pattern can be
>    traced in Jackson's dealings with corporate America:
Under the guise
>    of "civil rights activism," Jackson coerces companies
into conducting

>    business with his friends and, very often, donating
large sums of
>    money to his own organizations. Rather than threaten
broken kneecaps,

>    Jackson threatens boycotts and the stigma of being
labeled racist by
>    this country's most prominent black leader.
>
>    Some of Jackson's shakedowns:
>
>      * In 1997, Viacom announced its intent to sell 10
radio stations to

>        two other companies for $1.1 billion. Jackson's
Rainbow/PUSH
>        coalition filed a petition with the FCC, seeking to
block the
>        deal. After negotiating with Jackson, Viacom and
the two buyers
>        set aside $2 million to "promote minority ownership
of broadcast
>        properties." Jackson dropped his opposition to the
deal. His
>        Citizenship Education Fund received $680,000 to
organize two
>        conferences.
>      * In May 1998, telecommunications firms SBC and
Ameritech reported
>        their desire to merge. Jackson declared the merger
"fundamentally

>        undemocratic" and proclaimed, "Consumers, workers,
women, and
>        people of color are being excluded and left
behind." As their
>        fight with Jackson dragged into the following year,
SBC and
>        Ameritech contributed $500,000 to his Citizenship
Education Fund.

>        Ameritech also sold a portion of its $3.3 billion
cellular
>        business to Jackson's friend Chester Davenport.
Soon thereafter,
>        Jackson pronounced the merger "in the public
interest."
>      * In January 1999, Jackson flew to Seattle, where
thousands of
>        Boeing employees had filed a racial discrimination
lawsuit.
>        Negotiations had been going on for over a year.
Jackson met with
>        Boeing head Phil Condit and reached a settlement in
days. Less
>        than a week later, Boeing made a $50,000 donation
to the
>        Citizenship Education Fund-the first of several. In
the following

>        months, Boeing also directed hundreds of millions
of dollars in
>        pension funds to be managed by minority-owned
banks, many with
>        connections to Jackson. Meanwhile, almost 2,000 of
the original
>        13,000 minority plaintiffs in the Boeing suit
formally protested
>        to the court that the proposed settlement was
inadequate.
>      * In May 1999, the Pepsi Bottling Group was preparing
a $2.3
> billion
>        public offering. Jackson pressured Pepsico CEO
Roger Enrico to
>        involve a minority-owned investment bank in the
transaction.
>        Against the objections of his top financial
officers, Enrico gave

>        in to Jackson at the last minute, naming Utendahl
Capital Markets

>        as co-managers of the offering. Utendahl has since
donated tens
> of
>        thousands of dollars to the Citizenship Education
Fund.
>      * In October 1999, Clear Channel Communications
sought to merge
> with
>        AMFM Inc. Jackson raised concerns about the merger,
arguing that
>        minorities should be able to buy any radio stations
made
> available
>        if the deal materialized. When the saber-rattling
was over, Inner

>        City Broadcasting, operated by longtime Jackson
friend Percy
>        Sutton, bought nine of those stations in major
cities. Jackson
> and
>        his wife Jacqueline are part-owners of Inner City.
Their stake,
>        originally worth $10,000, is now worth between
$850,000 and $1.2
>        million.
>      * Also in 1999, Jackson agitated against the merger
of AT&T and
> TCI.
>        He dropped his opposition after the companies hired
Blaylock &
>        Partners, a minority-owned investment bank, to
float an $8
> billion
>        bond offering. AT&T subsequently gave $425,000 to
the Citizenship

>        Education Fund. Blaylock gave $30,000.
>
>    All told, Jackson's charities currently take in
approximately $15
>    million a year in tax-exempt donations, most of that
money stemming
>    from Jackson's intervention in corporate transactions,
according to
>    Slater and Levin's analysis of financial records
released by the
>    groups. The tax-exempt status of these donations
deserves emphasis.
>    Not only is the shareholder being fleeced, but by
extension the
>    government is being robbed. Of course, Jackson's raids
on the public
>    coffers are not always so indirect.
>
>    This past summer, the state of Illinois awarded
Jackson's
> Rainbow/PUSH
>    Coalition $763,000 to enroll poor children in the
KidCare health
>    insurance program. For months, Jackson had been
attacking governor
>    George Ryan for his failure to increase KidCare
participation.
>    Jackson's complaints stopped as soon as the contract
was awarded.

>    The grant was unusual in two respects. No other
organizations were
>    allowed to bid for the work. And, while all other
community groups in

>    Illinois are paid $50 for every child they enroll,
PUSH's money came
>    in a lump sum with no strings attached. Since July 1,
when PUSH
>    received the grant, 37,000 children in Illinois have
been signed up
>    for KidCare. PUSH has been responsible for signing up
only 151
>    families. The state might have achieved the same result
by paying
>    another group just $7,550, a savings of about 99
percent.

>    Besides the obvious waste to taxpayers, the KidCare
case highlights
>    the question: Who benefits from Jackson's exceptional
ability to
>    extract money from corporations and the government?
Jackson has
>    claimed the $763,000 his organization received from
Illinois was
>    necessary to pay a staff of "maybe two or three,"
travel costs, and
>    overhead. But records examined by the Sun-Times
indicate most of
>    PUSH's KidCare outreach efforts were integrated into
regularly
>    scheduled events held at the organization's
headquarters. While other

>    groups were signing up thousands of children, PUSH
signed up hardly
>    any. It seems fair to say that Illinois's poor kids
gained little.
>    Where did the money go? And what of the millions each
year Jackson
>    reaps by leaning on American business? Toward what good
works do his
>    organizations direct those funds?
>
>    Any investigation of these matters is made difficult by
the
> complexity
>    of Jackson's empire. He is nominally the head of
several charities,
>    including the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition, PUSH for
Excellence, the
>    Citizenship Education Fund, and People United. He also
runs the
>    political action committee Keep Hope Alive. There are
indications
> that
>    funds are often transferred between the nonprofits, but
their IRS
>    filings are egregiously sloppy, making their precise
workings
>    difficult to pin down. Jackson did not respond to
requests for
> comment
>    for this story, but his suspicious record-keeping is
currently the
>    subject of a complaint to the IRS filed by the American
Conservative
>    Union. To cite just one inconsistency among many: On a
1999 form,
>    Jackson is listed as president of the Citizenship
Education Fund; on
>    another form for the same year, he is omitted from a
list of the
>    group's officers.
>
>    Still, some facts can be ascertained, even beyond the
$35,000 that
> the
>    Citizenship Education Fund paid to Jackson's mistress
as part of a
>    severance and relocation package. In 1999, PUSH spent
about $1.3
>    million on unidentified consultants. Jackson pays
himself a salary of

>    $120,000, and maintains a security detail that costs
about $62,000.
>    (He earns an additional $260,000 as a talk show host on
CNN, and an
>    undisclosed amount from speaking engagements.)
>
>    One of PUSH's largest expenditures is for
travel-particularly for
>    Jackson, who personally spent $614,000 jetting around
the country in
>    the year 2000. Jackson estimates he travels about 250
days a year,
>    bringing his average daily expenses to about $2,500. At
the very
>    least, it would appear that Jackson does not stay at
the Holiday Inn.

>    Over and above the apparently generous per diem he
allows himself
>    while on the road, Jackson estimates that his income
approaches
>    $430,000 a year. Still, he insists, "We've always made
the choice to
>    live rather modestly."
>
>    Jackson and his allies argue his sizable income and
expensive upkeep
>    are beside the point. The Reverend Al Sharpton recently
lectured a
>    critic, "It is legal for Reverend Jackson to be paid.
Slavery's
>    against the law, sir." Sharpton and others prefer to
shift the focus
>    away from Jackson and toward the progressive causes he
champions. But

>    the justice of those causes is even less clear than
PUSH's accounting

>    methodology.
>
>    Jackson describes the purpose of his PUSH travel as
"voter education
>    [and] voter registration." But, while PUSH purports to
be a
>    nonpartisan organization, there is ample indication
that Jackson's
>    message is no general call to civic involvement. In a
separate
>    complaint filed recently with the Federal Election
Commission, the
>    American Conservative Union alleges that many of
Jackson's public
>    appearances last year were coordinated with the
Gore-Lieberman
>    campaign, and many involved explicit advocacy on behalf
of Democratic

>    candidates. (Certainly Jackson's speech to the
Democratic National
>    Convention fit this description.) The Democratic
National Committee
>    reimbursed PUSH for much of Jackson's travel during the
election,
>    belying the supposedly nonpartisan nature of his work
and provoking
>    concern that party soft money had been spent illegally
on a political

>    campaign.
>
>    The merits of Jackson's crusade against "economic
apartheid" are even

>    more dubious. The beneficiaries of his work are not the
black
>    underclass, or even the booming black middle class.
Chester
> Davenport,
>    who was given a piece of the SBC-Ameritech merger, was
already worth
>    close to $100 million when Jackson encouraged his
inclusion. Inner
>    City's Percy Sutton is similarly well-off. Why such men
deserved the
>    support of a civil rights group remains a mystery.
Jackson's
>    explanation for focusing on large telecommunications
mergers: "It's
>    where the most money was." He says the success of men
like Davenport
>    and Sutton inspires the entire community.
>
>    Jackson also claims that forcing companies to do
business with
>    minorities is "a win-win situation." We already know
what Jackson and

>    his friends win. It's less obvious what's in it for the
companies.
>    When asked why Davenport was included in the sale of
Ameritech's
>    cellular business, a company spokesperson explained,
"Primarily they
>    brought to the table the opportunity for us to do
business with a
>    minority firm." One wonders how the value of that
opportunity is
>    reflected in quarterly reports.
>
>    Of course, the cost of refusing to bow to Jackson can
be quite real.
>    Boycotts can hurt a company's bottom line. Perhaps
worse is the
>    potential damage to its reputation. When T.J. Rodgers,
CEO of Cypress

>    Semiconductors, disputed Jackson's suggestion that
Silicon Valley was

>    a bastion of racism, a Jackson-allied group announced,
"We can now
>    officially describe Cypress Semiconductor as a white
supremacist hate

>    group."
>
>    Jackson himself does not shy from casting such
aspersions when
>    assailing his critics. At his March 9 press conference,
he lashed out

>    at those concerned about the mismanagement of his
charities: "These
>    groups-they were against us marching for public
accommodations. They
>    were against us marching for the right to vote. They
were against us
>    marching for open housing. They were against us
fighting to free
>    Mandela in South Africa. . . . They are fundamentally
extremist,
>    right-wing groups."
>
>    If Jackson's critics are right-wing extremists, is it
right-wing
>    extremism to question the respect Jackson continues to
be afforded in

>    our public life? After receiving Jackson's endorsement
in last year's

>    presidential election, Vice President Al Gore declared
it "a high
>    honor" to have earned the confidence of "a true
national leader."
>    George W. Bush, too, treats Jackson with deference,
including him
>    among the former presidents and other dignitaries he
telephoned
>    following the Supreme Court's decision in Bush v. Gore.
And Bush
> (like
>    Bill Clinton, Barbra Streisand, Jerry Falwell, and
other notables)
>    called Jackson with words of encouragement after his
affair was
>    reported. Yet all the politicians' groveling cannot
hide from the
> rest
>    of us that Jackson is really a talented extortionist,
debasing the