-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

Defending America Newsletter

Situation Report - 28 March 2001

"Command Responsibility"
"The Drumbeat for Change"

TABLE OF CONTENTS

  SITREP From The President  - 28 March 2001
  Through Zman’s Gun Sight - U.S.S. Greenville Incident
  HACK’s Target For The Week - Mr. Rumsfeld... Drumbeats

The Big Picture:
Article 1 - U.S. Expresses Support for Macedonia
Article 2 - U.S. Planes To Fly PLA to Taiwan?
Article 3 - Powell Delivers Stern Warning To Russia, Iran
Voice of the Troops:

Article 4 - NATO's Failure and Macedonia
Article 5 - Out of Kosovo in Two Years? Not Damn Likely!
Article 6 - Basic Training Feedback
Article 7 - USMC: No Incentive to Stay In
Article 8 - Navy: Navy Decay Visible
Article 9 - Senior NCOs Celebrate Changes of Command
Article 10 - Reserve Military Intelligence

Article 11 - Movies: A Glimpse of Hell

Article 12 - Military Health Care - Incontinence and Irregularity!
Beret Update: KLA Wears Spiffy Black Berets Too!
G. I. Humor:

Article 13 - Going Postal
Medal of Honor:
Article 14 - WARD, JAMES RICHARD, Dec 7th, 1941

Admin / Log Net

Editors Note - Article Submission - Contacts - Service Editors

Donations - Subscribe - Unsubscribe - Archives

Text Only - Printer Friendly Version

SITREP:

SITUATION REPORT:  28 March 2001

A. Main topics: 1) Command Responsibility 2) Kosovo/Macedonia 3) Basic
Training 4) Navy Leadership 5) Healthcare

B. HOT BUTTONS:

* Thanks for the interesting responses to our recent questions. It looks like
SFTT is gaining momentum on all fronts through the active involvement by many
readers who are forwarding the message to their political representatives and
the media. Please keep up the fight, so that the guys in power never forget
who sent them to Washington.

* Question of the Week: Are you concerned that our anti-drug involvement in
Columbia could grow into another Vietnam? Do you approve of the use of US
mercenaries to fight this undeclared war?

* WE NEED YOUR CONTINUED FINANCIAL SUPPORT TO KEEP US IN THE FIGHT FOR THE
LONG-TERM. THANKS to all SFTT warriors who are support for fuel ammo and
beans.

!!! Feel free to send me hot topics directly if you can’t get through the
admin/log net – [EMAIL PROTECTED]

* Keep the mail coming!!! We won’t reveal your true identity unless you give
us your approval. We know how vindictive the "system" is.

* How you can help: - DONATE HERE - All donations to SFTT are tax deductible.

Secure Credit Card donations via the web at: www.SFTT.org/donations.html

!!! If you think we HIT a target, forward the newsletter to TV, radio and
your local papers. YOU are the frontline recruiters and intel gatherers for
SFTT.

Mail Check or Money order to:
Soldiers For The Truth Foundation
PO Box 63840
Colorado Springs, CO 80962-3840.

Important: Your donation is tax deductible! SFTT is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit
educational foundation, IRS # 31-1592564.

If you send us an E-MAIL address with your donation we can immediately mail
you a RECEIPT.  Multiple contributions: Please remind us when you submit your
donation. We will send you a cumulative statement.

Prepare for Action - "Crew Ready! - LOAD SABOT - DRIVER MOVE OUT!"

R.W. Zimmermann
President SFTT
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Zman

Through Zman’s Gun Sight

A Ground Pounder’s View: Greenville Incident Could Reveal More Than Just Sub
Commander’s Shortfalls

By Ralf W. Zimmermann
President, Soldiers For The Truth (SFTT)

SFTT Dateline USA -  28 March 2001

To the surprise of the Navy brass and many of the public, Navy Commander
Scott Waddle, skipper of the U.S.S. Greenville, which sank a Japanese fishing
vessel, accepted full responsibility for his actions and mistakes and those
of his crew.

Waddle did the honorable thing to bring closure to all who lost friends and
relatives in the incident. He also upheld the honor code that once was
standard for military and public officials but which in today’s no fault,
"someone else made me do it" society, has been trampled by many in positions
of power. Just recall how Bill Clinton evaded accountability for blatantly
lying to the American people.

The Navy and its brass seem happy with the current outcome and Navy
investigators outlined five factors that may have contributed to the
accident: Improper staffing; broken equipment; number and location of
civilian guests; rushing preparations of the drill; and the command climate.

Without hesitation, the TV media used the announcements to crucify Commander
Waddle. MSNBC experts even accused him of leaking classified secrets to the
visitors. Somehow it’s painful to listen to people who never bore the burdens
of command for anything larger than their household and pets rush to judgment.

As Waddle has admitted full responsibility, the Navy can now proceed into
court with much lower media attention, although I hope the public and some
more alert lawmakers won’t stop looking for the more hidden truths. There is
more to be found in the shadows of the Greenville collision, like critical
readiness and leadership problems that are cancers in all services.

Was that sub crew really combat-trained and ready for a complex surfacing
maneuver? I wouldn’t be surprised if many crewmembers weren’t as well
trained or were "newbies" to the Greenville’s crew. A great majority of
military units experience a 30% turnover in personnel every three months.

When in command of my tank battalion, our turnover rate was paralyzing. Every
six months, at least 40 of our 54 tank crews were not combat certified
together.

Our military’s single-minded focus on individual career progression
destabilizes trained units for reasons of transfers, schools and positional
moves. You’re damn lucky to have 75% stability in a 600-man battalion just to
go through one National Training Center (NTC) rotation. As soon as you’re
done there, your unit disintegrates and you can rebuild from scratch once
again.

This sounds nonsensical especially since a National Training Center rotation
is a graduation training exercise, which certifies battalions and brigades
for combat operations. It would be logical, once a unit is certified it
should stay together for 6-12 months, to serve as a deployable contingency
outfit.

But as in decades past, the brass prefers shell games. As long as you have
the right number of people, no matter how untrained, you’re good to go! The
papers look good and the rest is "your problem, commander!" As long as there
isn’t a real war going on, nobody finds out.

Why did Commander Waddle cancel training, but did accept a visitor tour? I’ve
been on the receiving end of many of these "nuisance taskings."
Unfortunately, most are high visibility pet peeves of some senior officer who
tries to impress his handlers. Maybe the Greenville inquiry shouldn’t just
focus on the command climate on Waddle’s boat but scan a few levels above
him. Who approved the tasking to the Greenville? Was Commander Waddle "urged"
to accept the pleasure cruise?

Then, what was the role of the Navy Captain who accompanied the tour group?
Could he have assisted policing the visitors in the cramped space inside,
thus helping ease routine functions?

And what was the maintenance status of all critical detection gear?

There is much more to be learned from the upcoming courts martial and I
sincerely hope that we won’t be satisfied with just butchering Waddle as the
sacrificial lamb. Although he as skipper is responsible, it doesn’t make
sense to me that the Navy readily lynches Waddle, while the skipper of the
Cole sails on.

Having worked with submariners, I know that although most couldn’t pass an
Army or Marine physical fitness test, all are highly dedicated and extremely
bright individuals. You don’t make it through nuke school if you don’t have
a good head on your shoulders.

Commander Waddle has shown us officer honor and integrity with his acceptance
of responsibility. Now it’s up to the Navy brass, to show the same, or will
they use the Greenville’s skipper to smoke the rot that is eating our proud
and ready military?

© R.W. Zimmermann, LandserUSA

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Note: This article is copyrighted by the author and requires his approval for
other than newsletter further dissemination.

HACK

HACK’s
Target For The Week

-
Mr. Rumsfeld: Listen To The Drumbeat

 Written by David Hackworth

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld is marching in the right direction by
challenging the Pentagon's tired mindset of fighting tomorrow's battles with
yesterday's thinking.

But he shouldn't only lock onto weapons systems and probable opponents. He
should also factor into his study that people are always the most important
element of warfare.

Because SecDef Robert McNamara believed smart weapons and systems analysts
were the answer, he never talked to the troops. If he had, he would've gotten
the word that neither Gen. William Westmoreland's Vietnam strategy nor all
our superpower wonder weapons were ever going to beat an army of Third World
warriors wearing sandals made from discarded tires.

Between myself and members of Soldiers for the Truth (www.sftt.org), we como
daily with more than a thousand defenders -- regulars and minutemen, grunts
and grease monkeys, sailors and spooks -- from our armed forces. Common
concerns are: They don't trust their bosses; and they're thinking of turning
in their dog tags.

Here are the top 12 reasons:

*NOTHING EVER CHANGES. Countless surveys, endless sensing sessions, more
after-action reviews than empty beer cans on payday -- and the brass still
won't accept that our warriors aren't ready for war and are unhappy.

*WE DON'T TRAIN, WE PERFORM. Big training exercises don't prepare warriors to
destroy the enemy -- they only demonstrate a big unit's ability to move stuff
around a training field and impress the top brass. Brigades that might dazzle
in combat air-assault drills too often can't cut it when they're down on the
ground -- with squad leaders who can't lead ... or read a map.

*TRAINING AND EQUIPMENT DON'T MEET MISSION REQUIREMENTS AND ARE UNREALISTIC.
Warriors today have to master many more pieces of gear and skills than 30
years ago -- yet the length and structure of the training cycle remain
unchanged.

*MANY SKILLS NEED FIELD TRAINING AND AREN'T GETTING ANY. Army aviators don't
get survival training like USAF pilots. Supporters at Infantry Brigade level
don't get combat training such as patrolling and defensive techniques. This
sort of negligence will leave the REMFs hanging out there when the bullets
sing.

*WHITEWASH BY THE GALLONS. Show is more important than go. Camouflage paint,
for instance, is no longer applied to break up a soldier's facial outline in
a wooded area -- it's part of the projected image in case there's a TV
ambush.

*THE RANGER BLACK BERET. This is viewed as an insult to every soldier --
those who deserve it and the majority who feel they don't. Nothing shows more
clearly how completely out of touch the top brass are with the troops at the
bottom.

*BABY-BOOMER DOWNSIZING SURVIVORS (MAJORS AND COLONELS) -- aka BDSM&Cs --
WILL THROW YOU UNDER THE BUS TO SAVE THEIR CAREERS. These field-grade
survivors of 10 years of downsizing will destroy anyone who makes them look
bad or puts their careers in harm's way.

*THE BDSM&Cs DON'T LISTEN. They've driven over so many people to make it,
they can't tell a pedestrian from a fireplug and don't care.

*NO TWO-WAY COMMUNICATION. In today's military, the BDSM&Cs believe
disagreement means disrespect.

*THE BDSM&Cs ARE DRIVEN BY FEAR. That accounts for most of the
micromanagement in today's military. They fear the generals and admirals, the
family support groups, sailors' and soldiers' wives, congressional inquiries,
the minorities, uniformed women and anyone from the media. They believe the
slightest scratch on their fender will end their quest for making it to the
top.

*MENTORING AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT DON'T HAPPEN. The BDSM&Cs are so
concerned with making it, they don't have time to put down their mirrors and
brushes and look after their subordinates.

*I DON'T WANT MY SOLDIERS' OR SAILORS' BLOOD ON MY HANDS. Almost all the
leaders who've contacted us love their soldiers and sailors and serve because
of their strong sense of patriotism and duty to country. But all say they're
considering quitting because they can't ensure that their charges are
properly equipped, trained and led.

Army Major Don Vandergriff's upcoming career-killing book "Spirit, Blood and
Treasure: The American Cost of Battle in the 21st Century" provides the
answers to how to fix our broken military.

Hopefully, Mr. Rumsfeld will read it -- or better yet, have the brave major
brief him eyeball to eyeball.

David Hackworth's home page is at - http://www.hackworth.com
Send mail to P.O. Box 5210, Greenwich, CT 06831.

<A HREF!ttp://www.ctrl.org/">www.ctrl.org</A>
DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER
ÝÝÝCTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic

ÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÚrchives Available at:
 <A HREF!ttp://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html">Archives of

 <A HREF!ttp:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/">ctrl</A>
ÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝo subscribe to Conspiracy Theory Research List[CTRL] send
email: