-Caveat Lector-

[Unverified.  --MS]

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 15:19:15 +0200
From: Kevin Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: OT...

SYDNEY, March 29 (AFP) - The ultimate bastion of macho Australia
-- rugby league -- was reeling Thursday after Wests Tigers bad
boy John Hopoate was found guilty of sticking his fingers up
opponents' backsides.

The Tongan-born Hopoate, who played two Tests for the Australian
national side, the Kangaroos, in 1999, was banned for 12 National
Rugby League championship matches.

NRL commissioner Jim Hall described it as a "disgusting, vile and
offensive act". "During my 45 years in rugby league, never have I
come across a more disgusting act," Hall added.

However, Talk-back radio was inundated with fans and ex-players
telling how common the act was.

And Hopoate's club coach, Terry Lamb, who played 349 first grade
games, said it was reasonably common to be touched in the region
of the testicles.

Bernie Gross, who defended Hopoate before the NRL disciplinary
commission, claimed he was only giving the players a "wedgie".
But North Queensland's Peter Jones, one of three players Hopoate
attacked, dismissed the claim.

"Wedgies are when your pants are pulled up around your arse. I
think I know the difference between a wedgie and someone sticking
their fingers up my bum," Jones said. The 27-year-old Hopoate, a
teetotaller Mormon with five children, has been in trouble with
the NRL disciplinary commission seven times in the last four
years, usually for fighting.

It is not the first time such an unsavoury incident has been
reported. Australian lock Bradley Clyde claimed Great Britain
centre Garry Schofield inserted his finger in a 1992 Test at
Sydney.

Rugby league observers believe more of it goes on but players do
not report it because they fear being embarassed.

Gouging is still considered the most heinous offence because of
the possibility of permanent blindness.

Biting is fairly common but players usually turn a blind eye when
hands or arms are bitten because they are usually up to no good.

Tigers chairman John Chalk said they would appeal. "John is
obviously very upset about the decision," he said.

Test star Wendell Sailor, who switches codes to rugby union in
September, said he had warned Hopoate his wayward finger would
get him into trouble three weeks ago. Sailor said he had been
"jabbed" by Hopoate when the Broncos played West Tigers. "At
first I was very surprised," Sailor said. "He just stood there
and smiled at me.

"The second time he did it to (teammate) Mick De Vere and I
complained to the touch judge and he (Hopoate) was laughing about
it again. "I think he got me a third time and after that I said:
'you're kidding mate, you are going to get into trouble'." Action
was only taken after the North Queensland Cowboys lodged a formal
complaint on Monday that Hopoate had attacked Jones, Paul Bowman
and Glenn Morrison in Saturday night's match

However, Sailor's Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett was following the
league code of silence. "I think enough has been said," Bennett
said. "He didn't kill anybody." At the Wednesday night
disciplinary committee meeting, Hopoate insisted he was merely
trying to give Jones and Morrison a "wedgie" in order to perform
a quick play-the-ball.

Asked by his counsel where he was directing his finger at Bowman,
Hopoate replied: "Between his arse and his nuts". Hopoate
maintained he did nothing wrong and went on to say: "I'm a great
believer in what happens on the field should stay there."

Asked to describe what a wedgie felt like, the Tigers winger
replied: "You get a burning sensation. Your undies are getting
reefed up your arse."

Bowman said he was attacked as he stood over Hopoate after
tackling him. "That's when I felt fingers outside my shorts
pushing up my arse," he said. "There was pressure there. I know
he was not doing it accidentally. He was definitely pushing. "I
was disgusted. I couldn't believe it. I know it's a tough game,
but there's no room for that."

Hopoate's counsel argued that Bowman had been trying to slow
Hopoate from playing the ball by grabbing his leg. But Bowman
maintained: "If he (Hopoate) was a man, he wouldn't do that."