-Caveat Lector-

``The Sixth Amendment right to counsel is personal to the
  defendant and specific to the offense,'' Rehnquist added.

<< US high court limits right to have lawyer present

 http://news.findlaw.com/legalnews/s/20010402/courtinterrogation.html

 WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A divided Supreme Court ruled Monday that a criminal
 suspect's constitutional right to have an attorney present does not extend
 to police interrogation on a related offense.

 The high court by a 5-4 vote refused to broaden the requirement that police
 notify counsel before questioning a suspect, unless the defendant waives
 that right, to offenses factually related to those that have actually been
 charged.

 Chief Justice William Rehnquist said for the court's conservative majority
 that the Sixth Amendment right to counsel was ``offense specific.''

 It represented a victory for Texas prosecutors, who were supported by the
 U.S. Justice Department and police groups. They argued that extended
 protections would impose unjustified costs on society and make it harder
 for crimes to be solved.

 The justices overturned a ruling that a murder suspect who confessed to two
 killings in 1993 was entitled to a new trial. They said a Texas appeals
 court was wrong in overturning Raymond Cobb's murder conviction and death
 sentence.

 Maggie Owings and her 16-month-old daughter disappeared from their home in
 rural Walker County, Texas, two days after Christmas in 1993. There had
 been a burglary at their house.

 Cobb was a neighbor. An anonymous tip led police to suspect him in the
 burglary, and he eventually confessed, but denied any involvement in the
 disappearances.

 Cobb was indicted on burglary charges and had a lawyer appointed to
 represent him. The lawyer twice gave police permission to talk to Cobb
 about the disappearances.

 By late 1995, Cobb was out on bond and living in Odessa, Texas, when his
 father called the police and said Cobb had confessed to the killings. The
 police arrested Cobb, and, under questioning, Cobb confessed to the
 murders.

 The Texas appeals court said police should have notified Cobb's lawyer
 before questioning Cobb about the murders.

 REHNQUIST DOES NOT FORESEE UNWANTED INTERROGATIONS

 Rehnquist said Cobb's lawyers were wrong in predicting that the
 offense-specific rule would give the police almost total license to conduct
 unwanted interrogations without a suspect's lawyer present.

 He said suspects, at the time of the initial offense, must be told of their
 rights.

 Further, the Constitution does not negate society's interest in the
 police's ability to talk to witnesses and suspects, even those who have
 been charged with other offenses, Rehnquist said.

 The court's four most liberal members -- Justices John Paul Stevens, David
 Souter, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen Breyer

 -- dissented.

 Breyer said the majority's ``unnecessarily technical definition'' of an
 offense would undermine constitutional protections ``while doing nothing to
 further effective law enforcement.''

 He said the police officers should have spoken to Cobb's lawyer before
 questioning Cobb about the murders.

Court: Cops Can Probe Without Lawyer
http://news.findlaw.com/ap_stories/a/w/1154/4-3-2001/20010403020253650.html
Sun Tsu and American Surveillance Aircraft
http://www.yowusa.com/Archive/April2001/EP3_1/ep3_1.htm

FREEDOM & DIGITAL MONEY
http://disc.server.com/Indices/149495.html

FEAR
http://disc.server.com/Indices/149495.html

Truth Dies With OKC Bomber's 'Confession'
http://disc.server.com/Indices/149495.html

GET THAT GOLD FRINGE OFF MY FLAG!
http://www.apfn.org/apfn/flag.htm

"The Law"!
http://www.apfn.org/apfn/thelaw.htm

Jury Issues in The News
http://www.levellers.org/jrp/orig/jrp.issuestoc.htm

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I
can do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will
not refuse to do the something that I can do. What I can do,
I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of God,
I will do." - Edward Everett Hale
http://www.apfn.org/apfn/apfncont.htm