Anyone read these books, comments?

3)      Convene a small round-table one week-end afternoon, with the
authors of
the following books:
        Bruce D. Berkowitz and Allen E. Goodman, BEST TRUTH:
Intelligence in the
Information Age (Yale, 2000).
        Loch Johnson,  Bombs, Bugs, Drugs, and Thugs: Intelligence and
America's
Quest for Security (New York University Press, 2000)
        Robert D. Steele, ON INTELLIGENCE: Spies and Secrecy in an Open
World
(AFCEA International Press, 2000)
        Gregory D. Treverton, Reshaping National Intelligence for an
Age of
Information (Cambridge University Press, 2001)

> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
> http://www.oss.net/Papers/white/ChineseIntelligence6April.doc
>
> PRESIDENTIAL INTELLIGENCE IN RELATION TO CHINA
> AND THE WORLD: SPIES, SATELLITES, SENSIBILITY
> AND STRATEGY—A SHORT DISCUSSION
>
>        Washington, D.C.,  Apr 06/PRNEWSWIRE/ --  According to Robert Steele,
> a 25-year veteran of the national security community and author of ON
> INTELLIGENCE: Spies and Secrecy in an Open World (AFCEA, 2000), a group of
> retired foreign affairs, defense, and trade officers, including senior
> national intelligence officers, is beginning to form in order to ask
> Congress and the public to press for a dramatic reform to government
> intelligence operations and how the U.S. studies foreign countries like
> China.
>
>         "The U.S. electronics surveillance airplane that has recently caused the
> President so much grief in relation to China, like the U.S. bombing of the
> Chinese Embassy in Belgrade, are representative of the larger failure of the
> U.S. Intelligence Community to adapt to the modern world."  Steele, long a
> champion of commercial geospatial information including tourist maps (which
> would have helped avoid the bombing of the Chinese Embassy), is also a
> strong advocate for backing away from 1970's surveillance technology that no
> longer provides the returns to risk ratio or returns to cost ratio that
> guide the U.S. Intelligence Community in its investments.  "Neither
> satellites nor airborne surveillance technologies today provide the return
> on investment the U.S. taxpayer expects from an intelligent government.
> U.S. military intelligence and U.S. national intelligence are both on
> 'automatic pilot', running mindlessly down channels we established in the
> 1970's.  It is time we stop and think about the future of Presidential
> intelligence and how national intelligence can support sensibility and
> strategy."
>
>         Steele, who has also suggested that misguided U.S. Intelligence Community
> strategy and related investments in too much technology and too little
> thinking are to blame for keeping the President in the dark about real-world
> ground truth, is a proponent for the reconstruction and globalization of
> intelligence to create a web-based international intelligence sharing
> network that would permit U.S. leaders and the public better to understand
> history, culture, current events, and emerging threats including
> non-traditional threats.  "The U.S. Intelligence Community, as presently
> configured, is incapable of meeting our most urgent needs."  Steele recently
> wrote to the President on behalf of a larger group—a copy of that letter is
> at http://www.oss.net/Papers/white/LettertothePresident.doc.
>         Additional information is at www.oss.net and www.oss.net/OSS01.
>
> SOURCE OSS, Inc.
>        -0-                             04/06/2001
>        /CONTACT:  Robert Steele, OSS CEO,
>    703-242-1700, or [EMAIL PROTECTED]/
> [...]

-Home Page- www.cia-drugs.org
OM