-Caveat Lector-

FRIDAY APRIL 13 2001

Execution of McVeigh to be on CCTV
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,3-114238,00.html

BY BEN MACINTYRE

MORE than 250 relatives of people killed in the Oklahoma City bombing will
be permitted to watch the execution of Timothy McVeigh, the convicted mass
murderer, on closed-circuit television, John Ashcroft, the US
Attorney-General, ruled yesterday.
McVeigh, 32, has been sentenced to die by lethal injection on May 16 for the
1995 blast, which killed 168 people including 19 children; it was the worst
terrorist attack on US soil.

He will be the first person to be put to death under federal law since 1963
and his execution will be the most widely watched in America since the
public hangings of the 19th century.

Mr Ashcroft said that he was making special provisions to enable the victims
' relatives to see the execution because there is room for only ten such
representatives in the gallery overlooking the death chamber at the
penitentiary at Terre Haute, Indiana.

About 2,000 family members and survivors are eligible to see McVeigh die.
The execution will be broadcast live to a secure facility in Oklahoma City.
Applications have already been filed from 250 victims and relations.

"The Oklahoma City survivors may be the largest group of crime victims in
our history," Mr Ashcroft said, adding that viewing the execution of McVeigh
would enable them to "close this chapter of their lives". Those watching
from the undisclosed location in Oklahoma City will be able to hear McVeigh'
s last words as he is strapped down and killed.

Mr Ashcroft said the Justice Department and the Bureau of Prisons would work
closely with the FBI to foil any attempt to record or pirate the
closed-circuit transmission. Encryption technology will be used to protect
the broadcast from theft or interference.

The relatives of victims traditionally witness executions in America if they
wish to, but the scale of the crime in this case has posed serious problems
for the Justice Department, raising questions about when an act of the
courts becomes a public spectacle.

Mr Ashcroft also said that McVeigh could give 15-minute telephone interviews
in the remaining weeks before his execution, but he urged the media to show
restraint in what is broadcast. "As an American who cares about our culture,
I want to restrict a mass murderer's access to a public podium," Mr Ashcroft
said. "As Attorney-General, I don't want anyone to be able to purchase
access to the podium of America with the blood of 168 innocent victims.
Please do not help him inject more poison into our culture."

McVeigh, who has said that he wants a fully televised public execution, can
have six witnesses present: two lawyers, a spiritual adviser and three
relatives or friends.

The prosecution claimed that McVeigh was motivated by an intense loathing
for the Government and a desire to avenge the 1993 siege of the Branch
Davidian compound near Waco, Texas, in which more than 80 people died.
McVeigh, who has exhibited no signs of remorse, recently dropped all appeals
against his sentence, effectively asking to be put to death as soon as
possible. His lawyer said that he showed no interest in a last-minute
clemency appeal.

Mr Ashcroft said that he had decided to authorise the private broadcast
after meeting some of the blast victims. "My time with these brave survivors
changed me. What was taken from them can never be replaced nor fully
restored. I hope we can help them to meet their needs to close this chapter
in their lives," he said.

Copyright 2001 Times Newspapers Ltd.

 SPY NEWS is OSINT newsletter
 and discussion list associated to
 Mario's Cyberspace Station
 http://mprofaca.cro.net/mainmenu.html
*** NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C.
 Section 107, this material is distributed
 without profit to SPYNEWS eGroup members
 who have expressed a prior interest in receiving
 the included information for non-profit research
 and educational purposes only.

 For more information go to:

 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 Mario Profaca, independent journalist,
 SPY NEWS eGroup list owner, editor
 & moderator, is a member of of the
 Committee of Concerned Journalists,
 an initiative administered through
 the offices of the Project for
 Excellence in Journalism in Washington, D.C.
 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 SPY NEWS home page:

 Spy books, handbooks and manuals:
 http://mprofaca.cro.net/manuals.html